Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Wek
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Denmark
I'm new to Mac and gaming on Mac

Hi

I recently bought a MacBook Pro

Yosemite
MacbookPro
2.6 Intel I5
8 gb ram
Intel iris 1536 MB

I have always been a PC gamer, but I have sold my PC and dont want to game so much anymore (have a PS4 to game on)

But I want to game Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 EE on Mac (I have bought them both)

It's not easy with my magic mouse

What you recommend me to install windows on my Mac and play in windows, og just play in OS Yosemite ?

Thanks
Wek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:27 PM   #2
antonis
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
If the games in question are the ones you aforementioned, there's no reason to bother with windows at all. They'll play just fine on your machine under OS X.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:28 AM   #3
soulsyphon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
also you don't need to use apple magic mouse... you can use any pc mouse with your mac... logitech and razer have osx software for example... non popular mice can work with apps called "smooth mouse" or "usb overdrive"
soulsyphon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Huntn
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Definitely not the Apple mouse!
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2015, 06:11 PM   #5
oneshotpro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
You cant even play certain games with magic mouse as some games require both left/right click at the same time.
oneshotpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
I'd suggest getting a Razer mouse. I use the Death Adder to play World of Warcraft and it's fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deathadder.png
Views:	62
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	538674  
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2015, 07:28 PM   #7
ptdebate
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I'd suggest getting a Razer mouse. I use the Death Adder to play World of Warcraft and it's fine.
I second the Death Adder. Definitely the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. You can sometimes find it on sale for as low as $50.
__________________
G5 DP 2.7GHz | Digital Audio G4 2.0GHz | PBG4 12" 2003 1GHz | Mac Pro 2,1 2007 3.0GHz "Eight Core"| iPhone 5S | iPad 1 64GB
80points.wordpress.com
ptdebate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Huntn
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I'd suggest getting a Razer mouse. I use the Death Adder to play World of Warcraft and it's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdebate View Post
I second the Death Adder. Definitely the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. You can sometimes find it on sale for as low as $50.
Ebay new: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Razer-DeathA...-/251792403883
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2015, 03:52 PM   #9
saturnotaku
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I'm 99% certain that Razer wouldn't honor a warranty claim on that mouse because it was purchased on eBay. Better to spend ~$3 more and buy from Amazon.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 8.1
iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:44 AM   #10
MH01
macrumors 601
 
MH01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
You actually tried gaming with a magic mouse, wow Get any PC mouse, the magic mouse is not a good experience
__________________
rMBP 15" / iPad 1, 3 & Air / iPhone 1, 3, 3G, 4, 5, 5s, & 6+ / Imac 27" i7 2009 / Mac Mini 2010 / iPod 5GB, 10GB, 3rd gen, U2, video, 7th Gen / PC: x79 3970x 2xTitan / Nexus 7 / Note 4 / Nokia 930
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2015, 03:08 PM   #11
fuchsdh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
I've been gaming on a Magic mouse recently after my old Microsoft model broke, and it's not that bad, but unfortunately I've got a tricky desk surface for it—heavily polished cherry, with wide-spaced and deep wood grain. It makes precise movements at times tricky, and my old mouse pad just forced me to crank up the sensitivity to extreme levels to try and compensate. At my work desk with its crappy IKEA top, there's no wood grain to futz with it and it works fine.

Looking to get a Razer, although I really wish for simpler days when your mouse didn't need onboard memory and an app... at least Razer has better OS X support than Logitech for all its mice.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 3.33GHz 6C / 24GB RAM / Radeon 7950; Macbook Pro 13" 11,1 2.6GHz; Mac Mini 5,2 2.5GHz
fuchsdh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2015, 03:21 PM   #12
saturnotaku
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchsdh View Post
at least Razer has better OS X support than Logitech for all its mice.
You have that backward.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 8.1
iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2015, 03:57 PM   #13
fuchsdh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
You have that backward.
Considering the mice I want from Logitech can’t use the OS X version of their gaming software, I’m going to stick with my original statement.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 3.33GHz 6C / 24GB RAM / Radeon 7950; Macbook Pro 13" 11,1 2.6GHz; Mac Mini 5,2 2.5GHz
fuchsdh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2015, 08:21 PM   #14
cerote
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchsdh View Post
Considering the mice I want from Logitech can’t use the OS X version of their gaming software, I’m going to stick with my original statement.
Which mouse? I have logitech G700s and it has Mac software. Battery sucks though.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2015, 09:31 PM   #15
fuchsdh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerote View Post
Which mouse? I have logitech G700s and it has Mac software. Battery sucks though.
Going through all their gaming models, only the G602 is specifically listed as Mac OS X compatible. Some of the others say that the Logitech Gaming Software will work with it, but that's different from the PC-only flavor of Gaming Software which is compatible with all of them. If you're in the market for more than three button mice, your options are heavily limited. Meanwhile the Razors have the stupid cloud requirement, but they support every mouse they currently sell on OS X (except for the PS/2 model they have. Which amazes me—people are still using PS/2 peripherals in 2015?)
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 3.33GHz 6C / 24GB RAM / Radeon 7950; Macbook Pro 13" 11,1 2.6GHz; Mac Mini 5,2 2.5GHz
fuchsdh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:48 PM   #16
cerote
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchsdh View Post
Going through all their gaming models, only the G602 is specifically listed as Mac OS X compatible. Some of the others say that the Logitech Gaming Software will work with it, but that's different from the PC-only flavor of Gaming Software which is compatible with all of them. If you're in the market for more than three button mice, your options are heavily limited. Meanwhile the Razors have the stupid cloud requirement, but they support every mouse they currently sell on OS X (except for the PS/2 model they have. Which amazes me—people are still using PS/2 peripherals in 2015?)
What are you looking for from the Logitech Gaming Software? Not sure of the difference from the Windows from the OS X version but with my G700s I can change the layout and assign whatever keys or macro to it.

Just saw the update for the software now supports a few more models.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:04 AM   #17
saturnotaku
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchsdh View Post
Going through all their gaming models, only the G602 is specifically listed as Mac OS X compatible. Some of the others say that the Logitech Gaming Software will work with it, but that's different from the PC-only flavor of Gaming Software which is compatible with all of them. If you're in the market for more than three button mice, your options are heavily limited. Meanwhile the Razors have the stupid cloud requirement, but they support every mouse they currently sell on OS X (except for the PS/2 model they have. Which amazes me—people are still using PS/2 peripherals in 2015?)
Logitech Gaming Software for Mac works with all of these:

• G100s Optical Gaming Mouse
• G11 Gaming Keyboard
• G13 Advanced Gameboard
• G15 Gaming Keyboard
• G15 Gaming Keyboard
• G19 Keyboard for Gaming
• G19s Gaming Keyboard
• G300s Optical Gaming Mouse
• G302 Daedalus Prime MOBA Gaming Mouse
• G400s Optical Gaming Mouse
• G402 Hyperion Fury Ultra-Fast FPS Gaming Mouse
• G500s Laser Gaming Mouse
• G502 PROTEUS CORE Tunable Gaming Mouse
• G510s Gaming Keyboard
• G600 MMO Gaming Mouse
• G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
• G700s Rechargeable Gaming Mouse
• G710 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
• G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
• G9 Laser Mouse
• G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
• G9x Laser Mouse
• Gaming Combo G100
• Gaming Keyboard G105
• Gaming Keyboard G105: Made for Call of Duty
• Gaming Keyboard G110
• Gaming Keyboard G510
• Gaming Mouse G300
• Gaming Mouse G500
• Laser Mouse G9X: Made for Call of Duty
• Logitech Gaming Software
• MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse
• Optical Gaming Mouse G400
• Wireless Gaming Mouse G700

Here is where to find the list:



By the way, PS2 is useful for keyboards. It supports full N-key rollover and is the fastest way of getting a keystroke to the computer.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 8.1
iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2015, 06:17 PM   #18
Miharu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Finland
I also have a Razer Deathadder and it's super comfortable. Didn't even install any drivers, it's just a five button mouse and all programs recognize all the buttons. Plug & play all the way.
Miharu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2015, 07:37 PM   #19
fuchsdh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Logitech Gaming Software for Mac works with all of these:

• G100s Optical Gaming Mouse
• G11 Gaming Keyboard
• G13 Advanced Gameboard
• G15 Gaming Keyboard
• G15 Gaming Keyboard
• G19 Keyboard for Gaming
• G19s Gaming Keyboard
• G300s Optical Gaming Mouse
• G302 Daedalus Prime MOBA Gaming Mouse
• G400s Optical Gaming Mouse
• G402 Hyperion Fury Ultra-Fast FPS Gaming Mouse
• G500s Laser Gaming Mouse
• G502 PROTEUS CORE Tunable Gaming Mouse
• G510s Gaming Keyboard
• G600 MMO Gaming Mouse
• G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
• G700s Rechargeable Gaming Mouse
• G710 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
• G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
• G9 Laser Mouse
• G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
• G9x Laser Mouse
• Gaming Combo G100
• Gaming Keyboard G105
• Gaming Keyboard G105: Made for Call of Duty
• Gaming Keyboard G110
• Gaming Keyboard G510
• Gaming Mouse G300
• Gaming Mouse G500
• Laser Mouse G9X: Made for Call of Duty
• Logitech Gaming Software
• MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse
• Optical Gaming Mouse G400
• Wireless Gaming Mouse G700

Here is where to find the list:

Image

By the way, PS2 is useful for keyboards. It supports full N-key rollover and is the fastest way of getting a keystroke to the computer.
Huh annoying that its product list has different information than the other support docs. But then again I've been finding that a problem recently with quite a few products in my office. The more you know.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 3.33GHz 6C / 24GB RAM / Radeon 7950; Macbook Pro 13" 11,1 2.6GHz; Mac Mini 5,2 2.5GHz
fuchsdh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 08:56 AM   #20
saturnotaku
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchsdh View Post
Huh annoying that its product list has different information than the other support docs. But then again I've been finding that a problem recently with quite a few products in my office. The more you know.
I've personally used the software with the MX518, G402, G502, and G602. Works fine with all of them. I wish the G710+ keyboard came in a tenkeyless variety.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 8.1
iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon 64 GB)
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Bullnox
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Razer DeathAdder above all
Bullnox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC