Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old May 2, 2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Pared3s
macrumors member

High Temperatures Safe?

I am starting to game a lot more on my Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch and I'm concerned with the constant high temperatures (around 160 degrees F CPU Cores) and it's effect on the computer.

Can gaming cause long term damage or effect the longevity of the computer?
What are safe temperatures ranges? Should I cut short my gaming sessions?
Pared3s is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared3s View Post
I am starting to game a lot more on my Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch and I'm concerned with the constant high temperatures (around 160 degrees F CPU Cores) and it's effect on the computer.

My late 2007 15" standard MBP has CPUs that run at the same temperature while idling in clamshell mode. I used to have another one exactly the same and it was fine.
Old May 3, 2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Rossatron
macrumors 6502a

if you're concerned you can get a cooling pad. belkin has some great ones.
Rossatron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 06:57 AM   #4
antonis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

160 F = 71 Celcius ? If that is so, then it is not much for a laptop. It's actually low during gaming sessions.
antonis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 09:23 AM   #5
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:

All hardware has built in safety mechanisms for overheating including slowing the CPU when it gets too hot and in emergencies just powering down (never managed to make this happen even with a game running for 3 days without a break). However if your vents are not covered and your laptop is not sat on some insulating item like a pillow then you will be fine.

We have many laptops at Feral used 24/7 for testing games and they have never burst into flames or broken. In 10 years of testing games only a couple of laptops have died and those were known issues which we got replacement units for.

In short as long if you use a laptop and don't abuse it you will be fine. We have laptops playing games every day, all day for years with no ill effects so your gaming sessions won't be a problem.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Pared3s
macrumors member

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the input. I never really intended on playing games with it but after trying a few (Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock) I've been really wowed by the performance and graphics. Games on the retina screen look insane. I'm more of a console player but it seems like games are cheaper to get off of Steam and other PC sites. I also like how I could use my Ps3 and Xbox controllers as well. It took awhile to learn the ins and outs of getting things working right but with knowledgeable forums such as this it's not too bad.
Pared3s is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 09:46 PM   #7
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
160 F = 71 Celcius ? If that is so, then it is not much for a laptop. It's actually low during gaming sessions.
EddeDuck answered the question nicely...according to the spec sheets, the laptop CPU's can withstand much higher temps than that...

Really, the only negative about gaming with a laptop is the fan noise when it kicks in. Just turn the sound effects and music up louder...that takes care of that problem!
blesscheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games