Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I'm a smartphone customer with an unlimited data plan and received a message that you might reduce my speeds if my data usage in a billing period is among the top five percent of all smartphone customers. What does that mean?
Like other wireless companies, we're taking steps to manage exploding demand for mobile data. Many experts agree the country is facing a serious wireless spectrum crunch. We're responding on many levels, including investing billions in our wireless network this year and working to acquire additional network capacity. We're also taking additional, more immediate measures to help address network congestion.

One new measure is to reduce the data throughput speed experienced by a small minority of smartphone customers who are still on unlimited data plans. These customers represent only five percent of our smartphone data customers but they use an extraordinary amount of data each month. On average, they use about 12 times more data than the average of all other smartphone data customers.

How much monthly data usage is typical for someone in the top five percent of smartphone customers?

Data consumption by all customers, including the top five percent of smartphone data customers, varies by month and by market. As of August 2011, the average data use across the country by the top five percent of AT&T smartphone customers was 2GB per month.

Typically what puts someone in the top five percent is streaming very large amounts of video and music daily over the wireless network, not Wi-Fi. Streaming video apps, remote web camera apps, sending large data files (like video) and some online gaming are examples of applications that can use data quickly. Using Wi-Fi doesn't create wireless network congestion or count toward your wireless data usage, and can reduce the likelihood that you will be in the top five percent. AT&T smartphone customers have unlimited access to our entire Wi-Fi network, with more than 27,000 hotspots, at no additional cost. They can also use Wi-Fi at home and in the office.

To take it to extreems at this rate eventually ATT will say that if you use 200mb you are in the top 5 %, what a crock!

Found on ATT website under an unlimited data question area

http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?ct=5900004&pv=2&cv=820

Last edited:

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I'm at 7 GB this month with 5 days left on my billing cycle. Still no slow downs at all.

So sorry, they may slow you down, but it's not definite that they will.

Also, it would do you some good to include as to where you found all of this not-so-factual information.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I have 4gb because I pay for tethering so I doubt anyone under 4gb of data is in the top 5%. But I would imagine they are talking about people with unlimited plans.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Just making a speculation that ATT will continue to claim the number is lower and lower.

We all used to think you will be oK if you stay under 5gigs, then 4gigs, however if you read the links you will see ATT already claims that the top 5% use 2gigs. By the way, who checks that for them??

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Just making a speculation that ATT will continue to claim the number is lower and lower.

We all used to think you will be oK if you stay under 5gigs, then 4gigs, however if you read the links you will see ATT already claims that the top 5% use 2gigs. By the way, who checks that for them??

As far as i remember AT&T was saying that last year when they took away unlimited. They saw there was only a small % using over 2GB constantly ON AVERAGE (as it says in the text you posted), so they said we will charge everyone a little bit less to use under 2GB and those who use it more often are gonna pay because they are slowing down our network.

Or at least that's how my cousin's husband (who works at AT&T) explained it to me.

I don't stream music or anything and if i do its on WIFI, but i use data constantly with checking the web or apps or anything and i've never used over 1GB of data since i've gotten an iphone.

EDIT: oops i lied, i used 1.2GB last month. Most likely because of Siri damn her.... HAHAHA in all honesty i feel like they should be able to put some simple tasks onboard instead of having siri use the servers all the time.

thinkdiesel

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Was throttled at 2.02 gb, saying I was in the top 5% while out of state in HI. Been using for years, over 2-4gb no problem until this month.

my speed right now is 0.13mbps :mad: , and so basically I wont get my speed back until the next billing cycle? :confused:

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
As I've mentioned in similar threads, the real kicker is that they are only throttling smartphones with unlimited that use (what they consider to be) significant amounts of data.

Last time I checked, they still offer unlimited data plans for non-smartphones and they don't throttle or send letters no matter how much data they use.
(just to check this, I used over 50GB last month and am currently sitting on 21GB used so far this month)

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Was throttled at 2.02 gb, saying I was in the top 5% while out of state in HI. Been using for years, over 2-4gb no problem until this month.

my speed right now is 0.13kb/s :mad: , and so basically I wont get my speed back until the next billing cycle? :confused:

How long do you have to wait until your next billing cycle?

Also, what streaming app were you using to get that high in data usage?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Do people who pay for 4GB data (via tethering) get throttled too? That wouldn't really be fair.

What's the actual throttling speed supposed to be? Previous poster mentioned 0.13kb/s... that seems ridiculously slow. But assuming that's their intention, let's do some math.

I'm going to assume that the b in kb is bytes in this case. Let's say you average about 2mbit/second at a non throttled state (I do where I live). To use 2GB at that speed, it would take 2.275 hours. There are 720 hours or 2592000 seconds in 30 days. After downloading your 2GBs, you'd have 2583810 seconds left in the billing cycle. 0.13KB/s = 0.00013MB/s. 0.00013MB/s * 2583810s = 335.9MB. If the kb was supposed to be kilobits, then that's a measly 40MB.

So basically, if they truly throttle you to that low of a speed, you cannot possibly use anymore than ~2.3GB/month. May as well save the $5/month and get a 2GB plan in that case. And people who pay for 4GB data wouldn't possibly be able to get that much; I don't know if that'd be grounds for some sort of lawsuit, since they'd be charging you for 4GB when they're effectively giving you only 2.3

With that said, .15kb/s seems really slow. 15kb/s would still be really slow, but more believable (about EDGE speeds). In that case you'd be able to pull off nearly 35GB total if you really wanted to.

Last edited:

Lockon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010

thinkdiesel

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
How long do you have to wait until your next billing cycle?

Also, what streaming app were you using to get that high in data usage?

Never tethered, I had 20 days left on the cycle when it happened. And i was streaming pandora and podcast for the days I was on vacation, in the car driving around the island.

Tried calling ATT to get anyone to lift the throttle, but no rep seems to have a clue.

----------

Do people who pay for 4GB data (via tethering) get throttled too? That wouldn't really be fair.

What's the actual throttling speed supposed to be? Previous poster mentioned 0.13kb/s... that seems ridiculously slow. But assuming that's their intention, let's do some math.

I'm going to assume that the b in kb is bytes in this case. Let's say you average about 2mbit/second at a non throttled state (I do where I live). To use 2GB at that speed, it would take 2.275 hours. There are 720 hours or 2592000 seconds in 30 days. After downloading your 2GBs, you'd have 2583810 seconds left in the billing cycle. 0.13KB/s = 0.00013MB/s. 0.00013MB/s * 2583810s = 335.9MB. If the kb was supposed to be kilobits, then that's a measly 40MB.

So basically, if they truly throttle you to that low of a speed, you cannot possibly use anymore than ~2.3GB/month. May as well save the $5/month and get a 2GB plan in that case. And people who pay for 4GB data wouldn't possibly be able to get that much; I don't know if that'd be grounds for some sort of lawsuit, since they'd be charging you for 4GB when they're effectively giving you only 2.3

With that said, .15kb/s seems really slow. 15kb/s would still be really slow, but more believable (about EDGE speeds). In that case you'd be able to pull off nearly 35GB total if you really wanted to.

That's exactly what I was venting my frustration to the reps (i meant mbps), but they dont seem to have a clue. Kept on suggesting I use my wifi, and I told them I have NEVER tethered nor do I know how, I'm strictly streaming music and podcast. But my phone is jailbroken, if that matters.

And the speed has not been higher than 0.15mbps for the past 3 days since the received text "As requested, your service has been changed. This change is now effective." from this number 1111487700 following ATTs original text saying "your data usage is approaching the top 5%..." At the time I checked my data usage and it was 2.02gb, thinking to myself are you kidding me? and the effective throttle speed kicked in the following day, back in Los Angeles and my speed is stuck under 0.15mbps. Cant even load a page with that speed, basically I'm on edge.

photo1h.png

photo2gn.png

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This isn't a set in stone number. I have read people getting the dreaded message as low as 2.1GB and not having ever gotten it even at 10+ GB. I would think that the market has to do a lot with your area. Verizon comes out and says that they throttle only in heavily congested areas, and even then, at peak hours. My feeling is that ATT is doing the same thing, just not going out and defining it that way. If you live in a city with the populations in the hundreds of thousands (or more), my gut tells me you have more to worry than if you live in a city where the populations are much lower than that.

thinkdiesel

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
This isn't a set in stone number. I have read people getting the dreaded message as low as 2.1GB and not having ever gotten it even at 10+ GB. I would think that the market has to do a lot with your area. Verizon comes out and says that they throttle only in heavily congested areas, and even then, at peak hours. My feeling is that ATT is doing the same thing, just not going out and defining it that way. If you live in a city with the populations in the hundreds of thousands (or more), my gut tells me you have more to worry than if you live in a city where the populations are much lower than that.

I always thought if I don't tether I'm in the clear, because I'm using under 4gb/month. Last year when I was streaming video from vettle I would reach 10gb/month and not a problem. Since I have stopped and maintained my usage to strictly pandora, grooveshark, and podcasts. And under 4gb/month for the past year basically.

So to find myself being throttle during my vacation when I need the 3G speed, because I'm not home, frustrates the hell out of me, especially at this non-browserable speed( under 0.15mbps)

thinkdiesel

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Just to add, I have 3 unlimited data iphones under my plan, so I guess they would consider me a heavy user with roughly 2-4gb/mo for the past year, and my other 2 iphones barely scratches 300mb/month.

So I'm seriously debating on jumping ship and going back to tiered plan and watch my data speed and save some money, if they are using a throttled speed of 0.15mbps @ 2gb. I dont see a point in keeping my unlimited data.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I always thought if I don't tether I'm in the clear, because I'm using under 4gb/month. Last year when I was streaming video from vettle I would reach 10gb/month and not a problem. Since I have stopped and maintained my usage to strictly pandora, grooveshark, and podcasts. And under 4gb/month for the past year basically.

So to find myself being throttle during my vacation when I need the 3G speed, because I'm not home, frustrates the hell out of me, especially at this non-browserable speed( under 0.15mbps)

Apologies, I wasn't writing this as a direct response to you, just as some additional input for the thread.

EDIT: Misunderstood part of that post ;)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Pay for what you use and you don't have to worry about throttling

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

FYI people who pay for tethering do not get throttled. Beyond the 4 gigs they would pay $10 for each additional gig.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

thinkdiesel said:

So why not convert to a normal data plan and enjoy your vacation? Would have taken you 30 seconds.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

There is a bit of a fine line here. For years, people have been legitimately paying for unlimited, and all of the sudden ATT has changed the terms of that specific data plan.

thinkdiesel

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010

Don't think you got the point, and it's an entirely different discussion. If I needed tethering I would I have paid for tethering. But I'm NOT.

Secondly, my post is not about crying over not being able to use my unlimited data, but instead pointing out the contradiction to ATT throttling procedure. Why throttle someone at 2GB, when they are paying more for unlimited? and why throttle at such low unusable speeds?

Lastly, it was my last day of vacation, and I dont want to deal with pro rated hassles with your suggestions.

Don't turn this into an "Oh you pay for what you get" thread or "I have never experienced anything like that...heres my 10gb/mo screenshot"

I'm just informing others of my experience, if you don't need to know or care about the information move along, but if you have any ideas how to understand their throttling process or the cap, any information is appreciated.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm just informing others of my experience, if you don't need to know or care about the information move along, but if you have any ideas how to understand there throttling process or the cap, any information is appreciated.

The information out there is anecdotal, at best. Did you actually receive the "you will be throttled now" text? My understanding is that ATT sends the text the first time you go over the 5%, and then starts throttling only AFTER you go over it again.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I got the throttling warning for the first time the other day after 4 years with the unlimited plan since the iPhone 2G. I checked my usage and I was just over 2GB. I'm usually around 4-5GB a month with no problem. I'm going to raise hell at AT&T if I get throttled. I do not tether and my iPhone is not jail broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.