Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
this is defenently a good thing. the more stores in more diverse locations the better.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Daveway said:
Anyone notice this was very "unSteve-like" to just mention something like that. There was a thread yesterday that mentioned this?

well, i can definitely confirm that SJ was at regent st yesterday.

whether he said there will be a store in paris or not, i dont know. still, im surprised he didnt get mobbed while in the store..! :eek:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm surprised to hear that Apple would wait till 2007. It seems very prudent to have more international stores.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Mudbug said:
can we have a store in NEW Orleans before OLD Orleans, please? :D
Hmm, lets be fair here.... exactly how many stores do you have in US right now?
and how many do we have in Europe?
The closest store to me right now is one hour away...one hour by airplane mind you. :(
By this pace we might have a Apple store in Sweden Stockholm (still one hour by airplane) in year 3565. Too bad I wont be around then so I could have bought the brand new 3.0 Ghz G5 PM. ;)

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
wdlove said:
I'm surprised to hear that Apple would wait till 2007. It seems very prudent to have more international stores.

I was in Paris last year, and during a trip down the Champs-Elysee I thought that it would be the perfect area for an Apple store if they ever decided to move into Paris. The real estate there is fantastic, and is currently host to some of the world's biggest labels. 2007 is probably the earliest they can get a lease on a building there, as I am sure nobody is too keen to move out of that area

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
J-Squire said:
I was in Paris last year, and during a trip down the Champs-Elysee I thought that it would be the perfect area for an Apple store if they ever decided to move into Paris. The real estate there is fantastic, and is currently host to some of the world's biggest labels. 2007 is probably the earliest they can get a lease on a building there, as I am sure nobody is too keen to move out of that area
There are more countries in Europe than France and there are even more cites than Paris. just imagining you had one store in New York and another one in SF....and that was it. How do you think that would affect sales given Apples "enormous" PR budget on Macs...
My guess more like 0.003% than 3%.
Apple should realize there are buyers outside US too...

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
I have my doubts. Jobs maybe the most secretive CEO outside of CIA front companies. It doesn't make a lot of sense for him to divulge such information to complete strangers. It also doesn't make any sense to wait until 2007 for a Paris opening. Oh well, time will tell.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
No Apple store here in Australia (despite us being a continent)
No iTMS here in Australia (despite us having allegedly the sixth largest music market in the world)
No iPhoto printing here in Australia (despite us being gadget mad and lots of other companies now offering similiar products!)

sigh

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
This is a surprise, I would have thought that Apple would have been in France a for a while now. France is a pretty big market and Apple has been making inroads in many smaller markets for a while now. I wonder why it has taken so long to consider France.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
Xtremehkr said:
This is a surprise, I would have thought that Apple would have been in France a for a while now. France is a pretty big market and Apple has been making inroads in many smaller markets for a while now. I wonder why it has taken so long to consider France.
Why has it taken so long outside US? period.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Why has it taken so long outside US? period.

Good question. AppleStores are fairly new here as well though. New stores are being opened all the time.

I guess it was a matter of time and money. I just wondered why you wouldn't enter the biggest markets first.

Course, that may have been what they did though. By starting in countries where they had a good idea about whether or not there was a market ready for them.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hob said:
Why? How? When? I'm kinda annoyed noone told me :p

duhh..it's because you arent cool enough :rolleyes: :p

i didn't actually see him - i read the article and while i was in the store yesterday i asked a couple of staff members. he's in london with j. ive for an awards ceremony.

:)

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I just don't understand why Apple don't take advantage of the halo effect from iPod and open stores all over the world. Macs here in Sweden are more or less non-existent to the public eye.

Just look to the east, over the sea.. No Apples here either. As I'm working at a reseller I have seen the growth of the market though. Even having two more regular workers indicates that.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
Windowlicker said:
Just look to the east, over the sea.. No Apples here either. As I'm working at a reseller I have seen the growth of the market though. Even having two more regular workers indicates that.
I still think it would benefit Apple if the opened up some stores outside of US instead of opening up yet another store in SF.
Just my 2c

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I still think it would benefit Apple if the opened up some stores outside of US instead of opening up yet another store in SF.
Just my 2c

Apple can't please everyone. They are following good marketing sense and putting stores where the most customers are located. Demographics seem to be a strong source of their decision making.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
wdlove said:
Apple can't please everyone. They are following good marketing sense and putting stores where the most customers are located. Demographics seem to be a strong source of their decision making.
It could be that the reason why customers are located there are just because they have an Apple store. It is not about pleasing, it is about good business sense.
Just imagine if Toyota came up with the "brilliant" idea just to have one dealer in the enitre US.
I do believe that sales in US would be a slightly lower if they did...

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Who cares?

Have you seen the price of Macs in France? Quit with the slick stores and give us American prices for ****'s sake. They're made in China for pennies and by the time they reach France they're possibly the dearest Mac prices in the world. Boring news. Boring iPod. Boring Boring. Etc.

iguana_lemon

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2005
Apple Store in Place of the Queen Club on the Champs Elysess

I can tell you that the famous Queen Club located on the Champs Elysees will close early september. The British owner was supposed to sold the place (at about 20 M€) to the clothes brand H&M but they are not interested anymore.

I heard that Apple was in talks to take the place back and transform it into a two stories Apple Store...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.