Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Hi there,

So I was given some footage that were .MTS and .m4v files to edit and make a video. It's shot with a canon vixia hf21 and I used the 'log and transfer' to convert only .mts files to Apple ProRes422. I'm thinking of using 'Mpeg streamclip' and converting to the same. I'm a bit curious on the settings on Mpeg though, I guess I'm just looking for quick tips to get everything in one place(FCP). Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
The .mts files should be fine via "Log & Transfer" from the camera, if not, MPEG Streamclip does not open every .mts file, and thus you might need Voltaic (40 USD).
.mp4 files can be transcoded via MPEG Streamclip via these settings:

click on the image for a bigger version:

2011_12_03_pA1_MSC_ProRes422.png

MPEG Streamclip also has a Batch List (CMD+B):
msc_BatchList.png
That Batch List will allow you to batch transcode multiple .mp4 files with only setting settings once.

Could the above help?

careypo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Just use Apple's compressor for the MP4 files to ProRes. You already own it, as part of the Final Cut Studio package.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Hey thanks for the reply, I used 'log and transfer' for the mts files. As for the M4v, I was a bit short on time so I went with mpeg streamclip (as I hear it is faster than compressor) to transfer m4v files ProRes 422(LT). The question I also seem to be iffy with about mpeg is the converting settings, like frame size (unscaled, 720p, 1080i), frame rate and deinterlace or interlace...

Just using my better judgement I used 720p (for HD footage) and deinterlace, which seems to looks fine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.