Flash on screen when waking up? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:09 AM   #1
screenscriber
macrumors newbie

Flash on screen when waking up?

Just checking, when opening the lid of Air and it wakes up (and it's not plugged in), does anyone else see a bright white flash appear on the black screen right before the finder redisplays? I don't think I saw that happening before...
screenscriber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Zudeo
macrumors member

No, I don't. but I see a bright white flash when I do a restart or cold boot. :-(
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:39 AM   #3
stevenpa
macrumors 6502

A few times I think. I don't really look at my screen for 10 seconds usually though, since instant on is the biggest joke
Old Dec 3, 2011, 01:16 PM   #4
WChurchill
macrumors newbie

Yes I have hag the exact same thing happen. In fact I returned one MBA for this reason. Without opening it up the genius bar employee speculated on a loose connection to the video card. In any event my brand new replacement MBA has also done this...but only on one occasion so far. MBA unplugged and waking from sleep when you lift the lid...screen lightens from black slightly then a big flash before it goes to the screen as it was when you last closed the lid. As I said only once so far with the new MBA but still a little disconcerting when it happens. I recommend a genius bar appointment as this is not normal.
WChurchill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
screenscriber
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WChurchill View Post
Yes I have hag the exact same thing happen. In fact I returned one MBA for this reason. Without opening it up the genius bar employee speculated on a loose connection to the video card. In any event my brand new replacement MBA has also done this...but only on one occasion so far. MBA unplugged and waking from sleep when you lift the lid...screen lightens from black slightly then a big flash before it goes to the screen as it was when you last closed the lid. As I said only once so far with the new MBA but still a little disconcerting when it happens. I recommend a genius bar appointment as this is not normal.
Thanks much, all. I'll make a genius appointment to be safe.
screenscriber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
yongren
macrumors regular

My screen has also been occasionally been flashing white at boot or restart... I hadn't been that concerned. Should I be?
yongren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Jordan9
macrumors member

@screenscriber let us know how the genius appointment went.

Mine has done this a few times and just did it today when I took it out of my bag to use. If it continues to happen more frequently I will take it it.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:26 AM   #8
castillo4141
macrumors member

It happened to me today for the third time since I bought it. Not really and issue since it does not take any time waking up the machine, but it may affect the graphic card somehow.
I've reset the SMC and the PRAM, repaired permissions and check the disk for errors, just in case. I hope that after this it doesn't happen again, I'm going to call Apple tomorrow anyway and report back here.

I'm getting a little bit concern since there are other people experiencing the same.

EDIT: After calling for support, they told me to repair permissions and do a Hardware Test. Nothing turned out wrong, I'm going to wait and keep using it, if it happens again then I will go for a check to the nearest authorized repair center. The main problem is that I can't find a way to repeat the behavior...I hope is not a hardware issue.

Last edited by castillo4141; Dec 7, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
castillo4141 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air