Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:05 AM   #26
mattkowalski
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous. One is more likely to expect that when making a huge initial/maintenance outlay, that that is that, bar upgrades. However you can't really class buying apps as upgrade, because that is what the device was designed for, running apps, being multi functional.

Wow - your argument has made me realise that I shouldn't have been paying for software/games for my PC/games consoles over the years! I've been cheated!
mattkowalski is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:20 AM   #27
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous.
Yeah, imagine my anger and surprise after buying a PS3 (and this is after buying my TV, paying for internet service and paying rent!!!!) that I would actually have to purchase games for it. Man, so angry....


Quote:
What it is like, is buying an expensive wifi router, paying for an expensive Internet connection, then having to pay for each time you want to download/browse different types of data/connections.

I want to use google .........thats free, but we need your cc/dc details
I want to look at https .............£1.99 please
I want to look at a YouTube vid ....£0.99 please
I want to use FTP...............£2.99 please
I want to download a free PDF.....£3.99 please
I want to acces my email.......£1.99 please

Would you consider that reasonable, just to make use of what your Internet connection was designed for? Paying for extra services, or app support is expected,, but do you really buy these devices expecting to sheep out more just for apps/fulfil its intended potential?
I would assume (generally) that if you can afford to buy a $300.00+ device with a $100 per month contract, you can probably afford a $40.00, one time cost router. Unless you're buying yours at Overpricedelectronics.com (I hear they sell HDMI cables too).

I'm also not sure what your "pricing" chart is supposed to convey. By your logic, how is google free? As you said, you're already paying for service. And Scaled pricing for YouTube/HTTPS/PDF? How in the world is it going to cost you that much to download a free PDF? Mixed, confusing analogies don't really work that well for getting your...point (meandering thought train?) across. Again, how are you paying "extra" here? You pay for an internet connect (cost). You buy a iPhone (cost) You access youtube (free app) over wifi (already paying for) and...pay more all of the sudden?


Quote:
POINT 3:

Why shouldn't I be allowed to re-download an app I have already paid for if my cc/dc on file is declined for whatever reason. Having free access to apps already paid for is part of the sales package. By removing this option, it's like selling you a car, then after you paid for it, and they have your money, they then take the wheels off because there is no money in your bank?!?
Again, you're mixing analogies here. It's more like you buy a car (the phone) and buy the upgraded stereo system (the app), losing the stereo system, and expecting them to give it to you again. There's no loss of functionality because the app wasn't there to begin with; you purchased it separately.

Last edited by Interstella5555; Jan 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Interstella5555 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:25 AM   #28
fat jez
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post
POINT 2:

There is no PayPal option the choose funding method, nor is there a 'none' option in the card selection.
I can tell you don't live in the US, by the mere fact that you have to enter a credit card when creating your Apple ID. It's the same in the UK, you can't download free apps without an Apple ID. You can, as far as I remember, put in card while creating the Apple ID and then delete the card when finished. I think it's just to verify your registered address against your billing address.
__________________
'11 MBP 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 240GB SSD 15" Anti-Glare screen OS X 10.9.2
iPhone 5S 64GB
iPad Air 32GB
fat jez is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:40 AM   #29
Almy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Can you not use gift cards instead of a credit card to start an account like we can in the USA? I just figured something like that was universal.
Almy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:48 AM   #30
fat jez
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
Can you not use gift cards instead of a credit card to start an account like we can in the USA? I just figured something like that was universal.
Yes you can. But we don't have the option to set up an account without some means of payment being registered, even if we only want the free Apple apps.

It was a pain at work when we wanted to grab the free update to Lion. To get that through the App Store needed an Apple ID, which needed a credit card. Since it was done on eligibility of purchase date, this meant creating new Apple IDs for the MacBook Pros which were eligible, just so we could download Lion.
__________________
'11 MBP 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 240GB SSD 15" Anti-Glare screen OS X 10.9.2
iPhone 5S 64GB
iPad Air 32GB
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:18 AM   #31
Lukkee24
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous.
You don't have to buy apps if you don't want to, it's your choice - you don't have to do anything.
Lukkee24 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:35 AM   #32
stroked
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
I can understand why this would be frustrating, when you can do all of this with any computer, right out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post

I want to use google .........thats free, but we need your cc/dc details
I want to look at https .............£1.99 please
I want to look at a YouTube vid ....£0.99 please
I want to use FTP...............£2.99 please
I want to download a free PDF.....£3.99 please
I want to acces my email.......£1.99 please
?
stroked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:27 AM   #33
Austin45322
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
Yeah you can create an account without a credit card, so just do that.
How do you do that because I did not see that option
Austin45322 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:28 AM   #34
iHelios
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
You can also use a gift card instead of a credit card to set up an iTunes account.
this
iHelios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:42 AM   #35
DeathChill
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45322 View Post
How do you do that because I did not see that option
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534?v...S&locale=en_US
DeathChill is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:44 AM   #36
barredfreak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
This is to make it easier for future purchases, in case you're unfamiliar. Apple has something called '1-Click Purchasing' and without your credit card pre-entered, even downloading an in-app purchase in a free app would be troublesome and not '1-Click'.
barredfreak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:12 AM   #37
Mac.World
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In front of uranus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalan14 View Post
Is just does for some weird reason. I had my credit card with the, for over 5 years nothing has happened so your safe don't worry. Maybe just making sure your an adult lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithePanther View Post
Paranoid much...?

If they were stealing your information, someone would have realized by now, and a huge company such as Apple could never weather the kind of PR *****torm that would cause
Hate to say this, but my account was hacked twice since 2008. Once while I was living in England and once while I was living in the States. I use varying 12 digit alpha, numeric, upper and lower case, plus special keys. This was two seperate credit cards. I no longer give Apple any of my credit card info. Ever!
Mac.World is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:44 AM   #38
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
In app purchases.
__________________
Samsung Series 9 11.6" Notebook | Galaxy S III | Asus Transformer Prime
Apple TV 2nd Gen | iPod Touch 4th Gen
64GB iPad Mini | iPad 2 - 32GB AT&T
Eddie Bombay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:17 PM   #39
Zerostop94025
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
POINT 3:

Why shouldn't I be allowed to re-download an app I have already paid for if my cc/dc on file is declined for whatever reason. Having free access to apps already paid for is part of the sales package. By removing this option, it's like selling you a car, then after you paid for it, and they have your money, they then take the wheels off because there is no money in your bank?!?[/QUOTE]

Hi newbie here
I have a 4s 64 gig iPhone I live in the US in Cal I want on a trip to Seattle for Xmas. First I am an iTunes/App nut meaning out of 64 gig I had like 405 mb (give or take) left of room. Any ways when I got here I to Seattle I had to reset my iPhone to it factory setting meaning I lost everything but I'm like that ok I got iCloud and iTunes Match. Here the thing my plain tick it was saved in a app I lost my I.D. ( had a pic of it in the iCloud but it didn't save it wtf) and seeing how I max out my card on New Years I could not get my apps back now I'm still here in Seattle freezing. Thank you to who Evers idea it was to make it so I can't get my F$&@ing app back so I can miss work ps my pay Check dose not go right to Wells Fargo cuz I just some guy with a lame job/jr. college life.
I trust you smart people at the store and by bend me over and tell me to think happy it only hurt at first.
Zerostop94025 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:27 PM   #40
wxman2003
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous. One is more likely to expect that when making a huge initial/maintenance outlay, that that is that, bar upgrades. However you can't really class buying apps as upgrade, because that is what the device was designed for, running apps, being multi functional.
I know! It's like hiring someone to work for you, and then having to pay them. What's up with that? I mean, I'm the one that spent my money on the company, and then these workers expect me to pay them! Absurd!
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:21 PM   #41
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerostop94025 View Post
POINT 3:

Why shouldn't I be allowed to re-download an app I have already paid for if my cc/dc on file is declined for whatever reason. Having free access to apps already paid for is part of the sales package. By removing this option, it's like selling you a car, then after you paid for it, and they have your money, they then take the wheels off because there is no money in your bank?!?

Hi newbie here
I have a 4s 64 gig iPhone I live in the US in Cal I want on a trip to Seattle for Xmas. First I am an iTunes/App nut meaning out of 64 gig I had like 405 mb (give or take) left of room. Any ways when I got here I to Seattle I had to reset my iPhone to it factory setting meaning I lost everything but I'm like that ok I got iCloud and iTunes Match. Here the thing my plain tick it was saved in a app I lost my I.D. ( had a pic of it in the iCloud but it didn't save it wtf) and seeing how I max out my card on New Years I could not get my apps back now I'm still here in Seattle freezing. Thank you to who Evers idea it was to make it so I can't get my F$&@ing app back so I can miss work ps my pay Check dose not go right to Wells Fargo cuz I just some guy with a lame job/jr. college life.
I trust you smart people at the store and by bend me over and tell me to think happy it only hurt at first.
I thought you could redownload apps that were in the cloud without going through that sort of thing. I'm sorry about your situation. That does indeed suck. I don't know what else to say about it though.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:37 PM   #42
thewitt
macrumors 68000
 
thewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous. One is more likely to expect that when making a huge initial/maintenance outlay, that that is that, bar upgrades. However you can't really class buying apps as upgrade, because that is what the device was designed for, running apps, being multi functional.
You don't have to buy any apps. Your phone is fully functional without purchasing any additional apps.

Quote:
One does not need a cc/dc to buy the device in the first place, or for data plans/Internet connections, nor indeed does one even need a bank account (although it's difficult to a provider that will allow payments via postal/money or on line payment accounts like PayPal or alertpay. Before anyone points out you need a cc/dc to use PayPal etc., you only need one to initially open up the account, after that you can remove the card and still use the account - charge it up with the likes of eBay sales, spend from there).
As has been pointed out, with a link to instructions, you don't need a credit card to download free apps.

Quote:
Why shouldn't I be allowed to re-download an app I have already paid for if my cc/dc on file is declined for whatever reason. Having free access to apps already paid for is part of the sales package. By removing this option, it's like selling you a car, then after you paid for it, and they have your money, they then take the wheels off because there is no money in your bank?!?
You can redownload an app you have purchased, no problem. No credit card required.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:33 PM   #43
tech4all
macrumors 68040
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous. One is more likely to expect that when making a huge initial/maintenance outlay, that that is that, bar upgrades. However you can't really class buying apps as upgrade, because that is what the device was designed for, running apps, being multi functional.
Not sure why I'm bothering but...

Do have a PS3/XBox? You have to buy games.
Do you have a car? You have to buy gas.
Do you have a computer? You have to buy software? You say there's free apps? Same with smartphones.

Your argument is silly, moot, and ignorant.

I hope you're a 12 year old and don't know what you're talking about.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:53 PM   #44
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
You need a debit or credit card on your Apple ID account to download anything free or paid. Simple as that.
I donít use a credit or debit card on my apple account. I simply credit gift cards to my account and buy apps using that money
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:36 AM   #45
tl01
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salviablue View Post
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous. One is more likely to expect that when making a huge initial/maintenance outlay, that that is that, bar upgrades. However you can't really class buying apps as upgrade, because that is what the device was designed for, running apps, being multi functional.

One does not need a cc/dc to buy the device in the first place, or for data plans/Internet connections, nor indeed does one even need a bank account (although it's difficult to a provider that will allow payments via postal/money or on line payment accounts like PayPal or alertpay. Before anyone points out you need a cc/dc to use PayPal etc., you only need one to initially open up the account, after that you can remove the card and still use the account - charge it up with the likes of eBay sales, spend from there).

Ones Internet connection maybe bundled with their mobile or landline bill, which cabe payed with cash every month (tether the iPad/iDevice to the mobile, wifi to the landline).

What it is like, is buying an expensive wifi router, paying for an expensive Internet connection, then having to pay for each time you want to download/browse different types of data/connections.

I want to use google .........thats free, but we need your cc/dc details
I want to look at https .............£1.99 please
I want to look at a YouTube vid ....£0.99 please
I want to use FTP...............£2.99 please
I want to download a free PDF.....£3.99 please
I want to acces my email.......£1.99 please

Would you consider that reasonable, just to make use of what your Internet connection was designed for? Paying for extra services, or app support is expected,, but do you really buy these devices expecting to sheep out more just for apps/fulfil its intended potential?

POINT 2:

There is no PayPal option the choose funding method, nor is there a 'none' option in the card selection.

POINT 3:

Why shouldn't I be allowed to re-download an app I have already paid for if my cc/dc on file is declined for whatever reason. Having free access to apps already paid for is part of the sales package. By removing this option, it's like selling you a car, then after you paid for it, and they have your money, they then take the wheels off because there is no money in your bank?!?
So who should pay the developers to make the apps??
tl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:44 AM   #46
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I don’t use a credit or debit card on my apple account. I simply credit gift cards to my account and buy apps using that money
Me too, works perfectly. I even bought FCPX this way. Three big gift cards ... Secure and convenient. Even more as I can buy those card now in every convenient store.

And keep NONE as credit card in the account.
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:45 AM   #47
Damolee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Not paranoid.

When I had an iPhone 4 the first time, my account got hacked. Had a strong password too. Some chinese app purchases were made and I lost about £30 in iTunes credit. There was a big stink at the time about it.

Even now i'm dubious about having a card tied to my account, but it's the chance you take I guess.
Damolee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:26 PM   #48
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Check the dates all....
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:39 AM   #49
Momma2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerostop94025 View Post
POINT 3:

Why shouldn't I be allowed to re-download an app I have already paid for if my cc/dc on file is declined for whatever reason. Having free access to apps already paid for is part of the sales package. By removing this option, it's like selling you a car, then after you paid for it, and they have your money, they then take the wheels off because there is no money in your bank?!?
Hi newbie here
I have a 4s 64 gig iPhone I live in the US in Cal I want on a trip to Seattle for Xmas. First I am an iTunes/App nut meaning out of 64 gig I had like 405 mb (give or take) left of room. Any ways when I got here I to Seattle I had to reset my iPhone to it factory setting meaning I lost everything but I'm like that ok I got iCloud and iTunes Match. Here the thing my plain tick it was saved in a app I lost my I.D. ( had a pic of it in the iCloud but it didn't save it wtf) and seeing how I max out my card on New Years I could not get my apps back now I'm still here in Seattle freezing. Thank you to who Evers idea it was to make it so I can't get my F$&@ing app back so I can miss work ps my pay Check dose not go right to Wells Fargo cuz I just some guy with a lame job/jr. college life.
I trust you smart people at the store and by bend me over and tell me to think happy it only hurt at first.[/QUOTE]



Go to App Store > Updates > Purchased

Where it says 'purchased' at the top it is a list of ALL apps ever downloaded or bought on the iPhone.
Momma2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:14 AM   #50
Applefan4
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
I don't have a credit card and I download free apps just fine
Applefan4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Credit card expired. Can't download free apps. jhaprade iPhone 2 Apr 11, 2014 01:07 AM
purchased apps not using itunes gift card credit ThereGoesJB iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Oct 21, 2013 01:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC