Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Hi guys.

Just replaced the ram of my new Late 2011 MBP, took out the stock 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 ram for Kingston's 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3.

So, thinking of what to do with the old ram. I definetely want to keep it around in case I ever sell my new MBP, or in case I get kernel panics with the new RAM. So my wife's comp is a Late 2008 13 " Unibody Macbook ( the original unibody, now its considered a MBP). Hers has 2GB of 1067Mhz DDR3, so I would like to put my idle 4GB 1333Mhz into it. But I dunno if it will be recognized / if its a good idea.

I don't care if the Late 2008 MB doesn't run the new RAM at 1333Mhz, its fine if it recognizes the 4GB at 1067Mhz as long as it won't cause kernel panics. Anybody know/ tried this before?

In case you need to know, my wife's 2008 Unibody MB is a C2D 2.4Ghz, Macbook 5.1. Model, Boot ROM Version MB51.007D.BO3, running Snow Leopard ver. 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance!

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Er, why don't you try it?

Uhm, there are certain reasons why I just can't right now. Didn't want to go through giving a detailed report of the situation but well, if that's what it takes for people in this forum to give a useful answer as " yes it works, i have tried it" or " no it won't, don't even think of it" as opposed to the useless " go try it yourself"...... well here's you reason why I am asking in this forum instead of trying it.

The computer is of my wife's and she is in the middle of writing her doctorate thesis. The main reason why I want to put more ram is because she is using Microsoft Word 2008, and as some of you might now, this version (as well as the 2004) has a long standing memory leak problem that Microsoft ( just because they are Microsoft) have never corrected, not even after the dozens of patches they have released. There is no smooth way to work around this bug, the only thing you can do is to put more memory so it happens less often, or more exactly, so it will take waaay longer for word to run outta memory. Yes I know that the memory leak problem can be worked around by rebooting the computer regularly, but no matter how many times I have told her to do it, she is sooo into writing her thesis that she forgets to reboot. Besides, rebooting cuts the flow of her writing. That is why I want to put the memory. IF DOING SO WILL CAUSE KERNEL PANICS THEN THE LAST THING I WANNA DO IS CAUSE MY WIFE YET ANOTHER HEADACHE. She is in high stress right now, word's memory leak stresses her a lot, and I'm not just gonna "try to put more memory" if it will for sure cause kernel panics. She defends her thesis in January , imagine she gets a kernel panic in the middle of her thesis presentation ..... Yes she saves often, but even losing 5-10 minutes of work is a big deal for her. Besides, the reason why the memory leak problem is so nasty is because you may end up losing versions of 20-30 minutes ago as well.

So there you go. That is why I just "can't try it". Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac fixed the problem, but I just can't install it cuz her copy of word is an original one, given to her by her lab. And its in Japanese, not the English version, cuz here thesis is in Japanese. So in order to fix the problem via updating word I would need to uhm, "borrow" word 2011 in Japanese. Which I would rather not.

SO PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE BE NICE AND JUST GIVE A SIMPLE ANSWER INSTEAD OF THE UNUSEFUL " JUST TRY IT" . IT WOULD HELP A LOT IF I HEARD IT FROM SOMEBODY WHO HAS ALREADY TRIED IT.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I currently have a pair of 4GB DDR3-1333 SODIMMS from GSkill in my Late 2008 Macbook Pro and they seem to work fine. The system boots properly, all 8GB of memory is properly recognized I have yet to have any kernel panics. As for the upgrade, I would strong advise against doing anything if your wife is in a critical state since, although the situation isn't ideal, you know what to expect in terms of behavior from the system and can plan for it. If you change anything, especially hardware, you lose that expected behavior and could run into unexpected problems at any point.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
That machine will only run the RAM at 1066MHz. Apple don't certify it for 1333MHz SODIMMs.

It might work, it might not, seems to depend on the voltage they require. I'd leave it be TBH, or buy a certified kit from a vendor like Crucial.

Last edited by a moderator:

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
1333MHz DDR3 on Late 2008 Unibody Macbook?

Hi guys.

I posted this thread on the macbook PRO forum and didn't get really many useful replies (actually, only one reply that answered my question). So since the machine in question is indeed technically a macbook and not a pro one I am reposting here in the macbook forum to see if I have better luck this time.

About the unuseful replies that may come, here is in advance your reply:

Unuseful Reply #1: "Just try it and see what it happens!"

No I can't. I dont wanna have to post a long explanation of why, but to make it simple, suffice to say my wife is using this machine in a critical moment on which she can't possibly afford having kernel panics. I rahter find out first how many of you have used this trype of ram without any problems.

Unuseful Reply #2: " Just google it!!!"

Of course I already googled this. The reason why I'm still posting it here is because after googling, for every person i found saying it worked well i have found another saying that it didn't. Almost sqaurely 50% say yes it works and 50% say no it doesn't. I'd like to know if any/how many in this forum have tried it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Will not work. It will not take ram that has higher than specified speed. You can put it in there and try it but I can guarantee you that the macbook will not boot up.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Will not work. It will not take ram that has higher than specified speed. You can put it in there and try it but I can guarantee you that the macbook will not boot up.

Most systems actually will work fine, the RAM will just be clocked down to match the bus speed. Yes, there are a few cases where it will not work but most of the time I've only encountered that with bargain bin memory (*cough*PNY*cough*). You're more likely to run into density issues, although that is nowhere near the problem it used to be.

RBM

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Most systems actually will work fine, the RAM will just be clocked down to match the bus speed. Yes, there are a few cases where it will not work but most of the time I've only encountered that with bargain bin memory (*cough*PNY*cough*). You're more likely to run into density issues, although that is nowhere near the problem it used to be.

What he said. So yes, basically you best bet is to try it yourself. So much for unhelpful answers.

Since it appears the 'high stress levels' your wife is under are rubbing off on you, you may want to reorder your priorities. Given the fact that you have treated yourself to a Late 2011 MBP with a RAM upgrade, would it hurt that much to order a 2x2GB or 2x4GB 1067 kit for your wife? And while you're at it, you could be a nice guy and just order a legal copy of Word 2011 as well.

That's what I'd do -- but maybe it's just me.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hi guys.

I posted this thread on the macbook PRO forum and didn't get really many useful replies (actually, only one reply that answered my question). So since the machine in question is indeed technically a macbook and not a pro one I am reposting to see if i have better luck this time.

Just replaced the ram of my new Late 2011 MBP, took out the stock 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 ram for Kingston's 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3.

So, thinking of what to do with the old ram. I definetely want to keep it around in case I ever sell my new MBP, or in case I get kernel panics with the new RAM. So my wife's comp is a Late 2008 13" Unibody Macbook ( the original unibody, now its considered a MBP). Hers has 2GB of 1067Mhz DDR3, so I would like to put my idle 4GB 1333Mhz into it. But I dunno if it will be if its a good idea.

I don't care if the Late 2008 MB doesn't run the new RAM at 1333Mhz, its fine if it recognizes the 4GB at 1067Mhz as long as it won't cause kernel panics. Anybody know/ tried this before?

In case you need to know, my wife's 2008 Unibody MB is a C2D 2.4Ghz, Macbook 5.1. Model, Boot ROM Version MB51.007D.BO3, running Snow Leopard ver. 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance!

I highly doubt it will work because newer ram is 1333MHz PC3-10600 and is different design like where the split/crease is....its not in the same place so therefore technically it won't fit as far as I understand (I have never owned a older macbook) but i am speaking from experience of working with older windows laptops that came out around the same time of the 08 Macbook.....

There was a great thread I read about memory here on macrumors, don't know if ur macbook was listed but as far as I understand it will take MAX 6GB(2GB+4GB) so why don't u just get a 4GB 1067 ram and put it in? Yes you want to use ur idle 4GB(2x2GB) that u got sitting now but as I stated above highly doubt it will fit due to the crease/split, 1067 ram is PRETTY cheap now days, if anything you can probably sell ur 4GB(2x2GB) for like $15-$20 locally on craigslist or kijiji or even ebay and buy ur self 1x4GB 1067 ram.....and as stated by others last option is always to "try it out"

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I highly doubt it will work because newer ram is 1333MHz PC3-10600 and is different design like where the split/crease is....its not in the same place so therefore technically it won't fit as far as I understand (I have never owned a older macbook) but i am speaking from experience of working with older windows laptops that came out around the same time of the 08 Macbook.....

That's only if you're moving between memory types (like trying to put DDR3 in DDR2, or vice versa). Different speeds of the same memory type all have the same form factor. Both the Late 2008 MacBook Pro and the Late 2011 MacBook Pro use DDR3 so that's a non-issue.

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Wtf????

As you can see so far on this thread, I have been getting the same results by googling: there is almost the same amount of people that say it will work as people that say it wont. I guess yeah, I'll have to try it myself. To those of you who say "it wont work" or "it won't even boot", have you actually tried this yourselves? Or is it your asummption/speculation?

That would help to break the 50% yes 50%no deadlock i'm seeing int his issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
DON'T DO IT.

I'm 99% sure that it will work just fine. No kernel panics, nothing. However you don't want to risk the 1% chance that it messes up her system. Not now.

Buy a RAM kit that matches her laptop. That costs $20 probably, and has a smaller chance of messing up.

Or install that weird version of Word on your laptop, and give it to her.

Or buy 2011 Word in Japanese.

Also... if you had taken the time to search these forums, instead of writing page long rants, you would see that also here you will get a 50% works/doesn't work answer.

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
LOL. It's funny how people will bring up a thread that was blown into ridicoulous exagerated proportions, and then post it here outta context, no relation wahtsoever wiith THIS thread.

Anyway, to reply to your , uhm, "concern" ... yes the new MBP was not returned as it became my christmas /bday present ( my bday is in January), and then i later found out that part of my wife's resentment was that me buying the laptop left her with no xmas/bday present that I TRULY wanted. It's funny how everything turned out. Besides, when I used the new MBP to edit and master the holiday videos, quickly in a couple of hours (in time before our in laws left), she understood that well, it did make a lot of difference compared to the overnight long process of doing it on my '07 MBP. I never realized how much three cpu generations ahead would make a difference.

Buy a RAM kit that matches her laptop. That costs $20 probably, and has a smaller chance of messing up.

Or install that weird version of Word on your laptop, and give it to her.

Or buy 2011 Word in Japanese.

I would buy Word 2011 in Japanese .... IF her lab wasn't scheduled to buy a volume license in April 2012 ( (which she would be legally entitled to install on her machine for free). It didn't make sense to spend 110 USD on something she would legally get for free on April anyway.

I could install the "weird word" version on my laptop ... IF it wasn't illegal for me to do so ( I am not a member of her lab, so legally I shouldn't use a volume license that is only for lab members) . Anyway, lets say I could let it slide by saying : well the new MBP is as much hers as it is mine, so lets install it. Uhm, did I mention my wife works in Japanese? her MB has a Japanese Keyboard. Yes, I can change the OSX Lion Language to Japanese to match her Word, but then again, my MBP doesn't have a jap keyb therefore she finds it cumbersome to write japanese on it while she is so accustomed to her own keybd.

Yes, I would have spent 30 USD on a memory that matches her computer... IF before doing so I would have gotten definite and concrete input whether the 1333Mhz would work or not. That was the point of this thread you know. Anyway, see my next post to see how it all worked out !!!

I just took the time to write this post for you to see that well, when I wrote that an useful asnwer is limited to : " yes it will work" or "no it wouldn't" it was because, well I had reasons for saying so.

Last edited:

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
The reasons that prevented me for just "trying it" ( read previous posts) happily went away on the holidays, as my wife decided to take a break on her thesis and distract herself playing games and working on Aperture with the holiday pics. Therefore the PERFECT opportunity for me to try it came and guess what?....

IT WORKS PERFECTLY !!!! WOOHOOO

Yep it does. Her MB boots up and shutdowns faster, and overall it feels more snappy, way less beachballs than before. The games she has been playing may not have been very RAM demanding ( btw, you owe it to yourself to play Machinarium and World of Goo, BEST casual games EVAH!!!) but I know Aperture is indeed VERY demanding. So far no kernel panics. We'll see it how it handles the 2008 Word memory leak, but I predict it should handle it better overall.

And theres, more, here's the cherry on top:

INCREDIBLY, IT RECOGNIZES THE MEMORY SPEED AT 1333 MHZ!!! WOHOOO

Now, I know well that this has been discussed on other threads, and a 2008 Unibody MB is not supposed to run memory at 1333Mhz. I have even seen posts of people who tried it and still, the "About This Mac" would show that it had been clocked down to 1067Mhz. Now, I really don't know if in my case, in spite of the "About This Mac" actually showing 1333Mhz, the new ram is REALLY running at that speed. It might be only showing it as an indication that that's the top speed of the memory while actually running it at 1067Mhz. I really don't know, don't really care to test it and frankly, don't really care if it is "just showing it" as 1333 Mhz ... it would make pretty much no difference at if it indeed at 1067 Mhz, considering the usage my wife gives to this MB. However, it does intrigue me why so many people that have tried the same, have had their "About this Mac" invariably show it clocked down while in my case it doesn't. The only explanation I can give is that this memory is "Apple Certified", as it was the stock memory of a new MBP. Have no idea if this explains it though.

Anyway, I consider this issue solved and I hope this thread can be helpful for future '08 Unibody MB owners that just like me, couldn't find concrete testimonies on whether it works or not. In my case it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

kamtra

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Apple repair center answer

I work at an Authorized AppleCare repair center in Chicago. We do at least one 8GB RAM upgrade per day. We have been stocking the slower DDR3 (1066) specifically for the older 13" MBP and late 2008 MB. Sometimes the 1333 does work I've seen it. More often than not though it kernel panics on startup. We have tried to determine the cause but decided it was just easier to stock both speeds. It's not worth the risk of it having problems later.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Why not pay for thaiphoon burner and modify the ram spd? I even done that by hand with an hex editor and eeprog on my macbook. It's way easier with thaiphoon burner though, but it requires windows.

edit: I'm have 0 connections with the thaiphoon burner developer but I've used the program and it's great.

lbmeyer

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
I too can confirm that 1333MHz RAM works on my 2008 unibody Macbook. Been reading some mixed views on this on various forums and decided to try it out anyway (esp. after OP said it worked for him). I now have 2x4GB Patriot PC3-10600 1333mhz sticks in Macbook and so far everything is smooth sailing.

spikesagal

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
1600MHz 2x 4Gb Corsair -> does not work

I was reading through dubious opinions on this, so I decided to give a try. I have the original unibody 13" MacBook.

The ram I purchased is CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model CMSX8GX3M2B1600C9 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233588). It runs at 1.35V, too. The only spec that doesn't match is the clock speed, which is 1600 instead of 1066/1067.

When I installed the new ram, my MacBook refused to boot. As soon as I turned it on, it emitted several beeps while the screen remained black. That's it, nothing else happened.

I tried several users' suggestion of leaving one of the old RAM chips working with the new one, in order for the motherboard to use the correct clock speed. Same exact thing happened -- my MacBook did not boot. I replaced the original RAM chips, and it booted just fine.

In conclusion, whether it's the clock speed or not, the Corsair chips are certainly not compatible with my 2008 unibody MacBook.

OKERO

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
Plantation, Florida
1333MHz DDR3 on Late 2008 Unibody Macbook?

My desktop did that. Have you tried booting with just ONE ram stick in?

--------------

Disregard. Probably wouldn't make a difference.

MaraviRasmussen

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2017
United States
The reasons that prevented me for just "trying it" ( read previous posts) happily went away on the holidays, as my wife decided to take a break on her thesis and distract herself playing games and working on Aperture with the holiday pics. Therefore the PERFECT opportunity for me to try it came and guess what?....

IT WORKS PERFECTLY !!!! WOOHOOO

Yep it does. Her MB boots up and shutdowns faster, and overall it feels more snappy, way less beachballs than before. The games she has been playing may not have been very RAM demanding ( btw, you owe it to yourself to play Machinarium and World of Goo, BEST casual games EVAH!!!) but I know Aperture is indeed VERY demanding. So far no kernel panics. We'll see it how it handles the 2008 Word memory leak, but I predict it should handle it better overall.

And theres, more, here's the cherry on top:

INCREDIBLY, IT RECOGNIZES THE MEMORY SPEED AT 1333 MHZ!!! WOHOOO

Now, I know well that this has been discussed on other threads, and a 2008 Unibody MB is not supposed to run memory at 1333Mhz. I have even seen posts of people who tried it and still, the "About This Mac" would show that it had been clocked down to 1067Mhz. Now, I really don't know if in my case, in spite of the "About This Mac" actually showing 1333Mhz, the new ram is REALLY running at that speed. It might be only showing it as an indication that that's the top speed of the memory while actually running it at 1067Mhz. I really don't know, don't really care to test it and frankly, don't really care if it is "just showing it" as 1333 Mhz ... it would make pretty much no difference at if it indeed at 1067 Mhz, considering the usage my wife gives to this MB. However, it does intrigue me why so many people that have tried the same, have had their "About this Mac" invariably show it clocked down while in my case it doesn't. The only explanation I can give is that this memory is "Apple Certified", as it was the stock memory of a new MBP. Have no idea if this explains it though.

Anyway, I consider this issue solved and I hope this thread can be helpful for future '08 Unibody MB owners that just like me, couldn't find concrete testimonies on whether it works or not. In my case it worked perfectly.
THANKS FOR REPORTING! it was really getting too confusing, will install that 1333 ram asap :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.