Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Dec 4, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1
nope7308
macrumors 6502a

Best Chess App for Beginner?

Can someone please recommend a good Chess app for beginners? I'd like something that has tutorials to teach you the fundamental principles and basic strategies. Bonus points if it has good graphics and a smooth UI (I have a 4S). Naturally, I'd prefer a free app, but I don't mind spending a dollar or two.

Thanks for any/all suggestions!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
nope7308
macrumors 6502a

After testing practically every (free) Chess app out there, I believe I've answered my own question: Shredder Lite.

If anyone's interested, this app automatically adjusts difficulty based on gameplay, mimics common human errors (relative to difficulty), and warns you immediately after you make a really stupid mistake. In this way, it indirectly teaches you the fundamentals by helping you develop proper habits during play. The UI is fairly intuitive and everything seems to run smoothly. For a free app with no ads, it sure beats most of the alternatives.

I hope someone finds this info useful...
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:25 PM   #3
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Good luck. I have struggled to find any decent Chess programs for Mac. There are engines, but the GUIs are very much lacking. See my other thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1274460
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:12 PM   #4
cr2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nope7308 View Post
After testing practically every (free) Chess app out there, I believe I've answered my own question: Shredder Lite.

If anyone's interested, this app automatically adjusts difficulty based on gameplay, mimics common human errors (relative to difficulty), and warns you immediately after you make a really stupid mistake. In this way, it indirectly teaches you the fundamentals by helping you develop proper habits during play. The UI is fairly intuitive and everything seems to run smoothly. For a free app with no ads, it sure beats most of the alternatives.

I hope someone finds this info useful...
I think you should get the upgraded Shredder for a very nominal cost -- the best part it works on iPad too (don;t get iPad version)

I am retired from chess. If you want to really get better then check internet chess club -- worth every penny spent....

Cheers!
cr2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:50 PM   #5
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr2 View Post
I think you should get the upgraded Shredder for a very nominal cost -- the best part it works on iPad too (don;t get iPad version)
As far as I can tell, paid version of Shredder is an iPhone/iPod touch app (it will run on 2X mode, but not iPad native).
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps