Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
So I bought an iPod Nano new a couple weeks ago. and I knew about this fact but still it is a replacement for my 160 GB Classic that got washed in the washing machine :s

long story short:
does anyone has an Idea to remove the sound cap they had to install to
reduce the sound level

Cause I don't like it one bit it is to silent for me
I already upped the music volume to +100% bit that doesn't help

Thanks
alot

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Then you can already start saying goodbye your ears. I usually listened to the new Nano at around 70% at most. Even in crowded city places.

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
What earphones are you using? Apple's original ones or some third party?

Some ear or headphones have lower input sensibility and sound less loud!

Otherwise, did you check the settings in iTunes that limit volume?

That said, you're right - DUMB EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT and not only because of iPod volume limitations!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Just a little tip....make sure Soundcheck is turned off in the a settings app...just in case it's on, as this can reduce the overall volume

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
Then you can already start saying goodbye your ears. I usually listened to the new Nano at around 70% at most. Even in crowded city places.

Normal use is at 50% for me! and that is enough I know. in some situations it's just nice to know that I can put it louder.
Look at the iPod classic ( US version I had one of those ) and the where not capped in volume!
If I choose to go full volume on it that is my choose, but to belittle me from a parliament point of view goes just to far!

----------

Just a little tip....make sure Soundcheck is turned off in the a settings app...just in case it's on, as this can reduce the overall volume

thanks for the tip.
But I know for a fact the capped it to a lower volume.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
That's the reason why I bought my iPod from an USA ebay seller. There's no way you can remove the cap from an EU iPod.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Ok, so let's also volume cap home and car hi-fi equipment.

whatever pleases you, it won't be me who have hearing difficulties in a couple of years (assuming you listen to everything close to max volume).

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
whatever pleases you, it won't be me who have hearing difficulties in a couple of years (assuming you listen to everything close to max volume).

Bah, I won't continue this discussion, because it's worthless. I can guarantee you that a lot of music (and it's not only my opinion) is not reproduced at an adeguate volume on eu iPods.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Yeah, "dumb" parliament, right..
On the other side there´s you little genius, for whom I may pay the medical treatment from my taxes once you ruined your ears.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Yeah, "dumb" parliament, right..
On the other side there´s you little genius, for whom I may pay the medical treatment from my taxes once you ruined your ears.

Omg, this comment is so stupid....You can turn the volume down, didn't you know that ? I'll reinforce what I wrote above....Let's abolish motorcycles, cars, cigarettes, alcohol, wine, sports, music concerts, coca cola, mc donalds, tv, games, sex,etc, etc, etc.... they all can be harmful. Never heard about freedom and self responsibility ?

felixfatfunk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
London
Omg, this comment is so stupid....You can turn the volume down, didn't you know that ? I'll reinforce what I wrote above....Let's abolish motorcycles, cars, cigarettes, alcohol, wine, sports, music concerts, coca cola, mc donalds, tv, games, sex,etc, etc, etc.... they all can be harmful. Never heard about freedom and self responsibility ?

Its all about assessing risk, yes some people may over do it, its called personal responsibility...being an adult, its their choice.

Personally i don't play with high volume, but then again on some of my external speakers the volume needs to be higher (i accept the speaker sensitivity, but that is another argument for another day).

I also ride motorcycles, mountain bikes, snow board, walk across roads, without a nanny holding my hand. This is about litigation and a few selfish people who have seen a way to make money in the short term for themselves whilst long term ruining it for others. If people could sue for crashing a motorcycle whether or not it was their fault they would. Then all two wheeled vehicles would be banned before you could say 'when is the iphone 5 coming out.'

So if you are risk adverse stay indoors and let somebody else do the thinking for you. Whilst leaving the rest of us outside enjoying ourselves. :D

As for the question i have found some apps, but they increase the volume of the tracks thus ruining them with top end distortion.
Is there anything else?

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
Its all about assessing risk, yes some people may over do it, its called personal responsibility...being an adult, its their choice.

It's also about the need for products to be safe in the condition they're marketed. This is why laws can force companies to recall a product if it might cause injury. It's quite different from the question of risky behavior which you choose to indulge in as an individual.

If you ride a motorcycle or have unprotected sex, you are knowingly taking a risk. But you should be able to use a product within it's normal limits and assume that it is safe. *If* the volume on an ipod is set to go high enough to damage the ears, then it is the government's *responsibility* to legislate. This isn't at all the same thing as trying to regulate your own adult choices.

That being said, such things can be taken too far.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Getting the discussion back on track, there were two apps for this a few years ago: euPod and Tangerine's Volume Booster. Neither has been updated in a few years, and IIRC the newest iPods Tangerins works with are the 4th gen Nanos.

Apple's iPod firmware seems to check the serial number of the iPod. They know which were sold in Europe, and which weren't. Restoring the firmware from an identical US iPod doesn't help.

The only things you can really do are turn sound check off, check your EQ setting (some are quieter than others), and use good quality headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.