Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1
s1m
macrumors regular

Creating a network using iPhone and wifi tethering and ATV2

Hi all

I have tried a few searches but haven't found any success so far. I am going on vacation later this year and I wouldn't mind taking some entertainment to keep the little ones happy.

I currently have an Apple TV2 which streams multiple kids movies/TV shows to our TV either from the iPhone, iPad or iTunes.

At the beach house we are going to there is no WiiFi network.

What I would like to do is tether the ATV2 to my iPhone and then plug the ATV2 into a TV in the beach house.

Is this possible? I don't want to use any 3G just essentially create a mini wifi network in the beach house to get stuff from multiple different devices onto the TV screen.

Any thoughts?
s1m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:26 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Why not take a router too?
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Intell
macrumors P6

Its possible, but you have to have your iPhone tether to the WiFi. If you don't want this, you can use your laptop to make a network or pick up a cheap wireless router or an Airport Express.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Hook'Em2006
macrumors 6502

I would just get a Airport Express or another cheap router. Much easier to set up and use.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:43 PM   #5
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1m View Post
Hi all

I have tried a few searches but haven't found any success so far. I am going on vacation later this year and I wouldn't mind taking some entertainment to keep the little ones happy.

I currently have an Apple TV2 which streams multiple kids movies/TV shows to our TV either from the iPhone, iPad or iTunes.

At the beach house we are going to there is no WiiFi network.

What I would like to do is tether the ATV2 to my iPhone and then plug the ATV2 into a TV in the beach house.

Is this possible? I don't want to use any 3G just essentially create a mini wifi network in the beach house to get stuff from multiple different devices onto the TV screen.

Any thoughts?
Or find a first gen. Apple TV to use. I bought an extra refurbished first gen model after the Apple TV 2 came out for this very reason. I have three young children and using my iPhone or iPad as the dedicated movie player on vacation was problematic as 1) that device couldn't be used while playing movies and 2) I couldn't bring nearly as large a selection of films as the 160 GB Apple TV.

Now I just power it up before we leave, load up whatever content is needed and pack it up for the trip. Really the one true advantage the first gen model has over the newer unit.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater