Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1
zoziw
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to zoziw
Does Excel 2011 do Pivot Charts?

Was doing some work in Excel 2011 and wanted to create a pivot chart...it was easy enough to do a pivot table but I was unable to find any way to do a pivot chart...I ended up doing a regular chart from the pivot table.

Does Excel 2011 do pivot charts?
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, 2 GB RAM GeForce 9400
16 GB iPad Wifi+3G
32 GB iPod Touch
zoziw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoziw View Post
Was doing some work in Excel 2011 and wanted to create a pivot chart...it was easy enough to do a pivot table but I was unable to find any way to do. Pivot chart...I ended up doing a regular chart from the pivot table.

Does Excel 2011 do pivot charts?
MS Excel: Create a pivot table in Excel 2011 for Mac
via:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 3.PNG
Views:	161
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	314905
GGJstudios is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:36 PM   #3
zoziw
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to zoziw
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I did that and got the same results...take a look at the results, they all involve pivot tables, not pivot charts.
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, 2 GB RAM GeForce 9400
16 GB iPad Wifi+3G
32 GB iPod Touch
zoziw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoziw View Post
I did that and got the same results...take a look at the results, they all involve pivot tables, not pivot charts.
You're quite right. After adjusting the search terms to this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 4.PNG
Views:	449
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	314907
I got this:
Quote:
There still are some things the Windows version does that the Mac version doesnít. These include pivot charts in Excel
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:48 PM   #5
zoziw
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to zoziw
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You're quite right. After adjusting the search terms to this:
Attachment 314907
I got this:
Thanks for the help!
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, 2 GB RAM GeForce 9400
16 GB iPad Wifi+3G
32 GB iPod Touch
zoziw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:09 PM   #6
exegete77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Since I donít have MS Office 2011, I have a question about the direction of this question. Does it have VBA? I know that 2008 did not.

But if VBA is supported, it is actually much stronger (and faster) to make Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts using VBA. I did that routinely using Office 2003 when I was working for a Fortune 100 company. I can give some links to follow if you are interested and if the Mac version supports VBA.
__________________
iMac 21.5Ē MBP 13" retina (since 1990)
old, slow, and confused
but at least I'm inconsistent!
The missing missing and challenges of a loved one missing
exegete77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:24 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by exegete77 View Post
Since I donít have MS Office 2011, I have a question about the direction of this question. Does it have VBA?
Yep.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 5.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	314916
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:25 PM   #8
zoziw
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to zoziw
Quote:
Originally Posted by exegete77 View Post
Since I donít have MS Office 2011, I have a question about the direction of this question. Does it have VBA? I know that 2008 did not.

But if VBA is supported, it is actually much stronger (and faster) to make Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts using VBA. I did that routinely using Office 2003 when I was working for a Fortune 100 company. I can give some links to follow if you are interested and if the Mac version supports VBA.
Yes they did; I'd be interested in those links you mentioned.
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, 2 GB RAM GeForce 9400
16 GB iPad Wifi+3G
32 GB iPod Touch
zoziw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:04 AM   #9
exegete77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Best overall site is MrExcel.com. (http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/index.php). I had participated for several years until I changed careers. Superb help from Excel masters in the world. Here are recent samples:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthr...A+Pivot+Tables

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthr...A+Pivot+Tables

There is also a book that Bill Jelen (site owner) and others had written about VBA, and either chapter 11 or 12 was dedicated to VBA and constructing Pivot Tables (and then some corresponding work on how to set up charts in VBA based on the PT results). Canít remember the specific title of the book, oh wait, here it is:VBA and Macros for MS Excel.

But also check VBAX (some of the best VBA programmers participate).

http://vbaexpress.com/forum/
__________________
iMac 21.5Ē MBP 13" retina (since 1990)
old, slow, and confused
but at least I'm inconsistent!
The missing missing and challenges of a loved one missing
exegete77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 01:02 AM   #10
zoziw
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to zoziw
Quote:
Originally Posted by exegete77 View Post
Best overall site is MrExcel.com. (http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/index.php). I had participated for several years until I changed careers. Superb help from Excel masters in the world. Here are recent samples:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthr...A+Pivot+Tables

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthr...A+Pivot+Tables

There is also a book that Bill Jelen (site owner) and others had written about VBA, and either chapter 11 or 12 was dedicated to VBA and constructing Pivot Tables (and then some corresponding work on how to set up charts in VBA based on the PT results). Canít remember the specific title of the book, oh wait, here it is:VBA and Macros for MS Excel.

But also check VBAX (some of the best VBA programmers participate).

http://vbaexpress.com/forum/
Thanks for the info on this!
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, 2 GB RAM GeForce 9400
16 GB iPad Wifi+3G
32 GB iPod Touch
zoziw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excel 2011 and Lion thatisme Mac Applications and Mac App Store 8 Jan 27, 2012 09:50 PM
Excel 2011 dialogs creeping away Toe Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Jun 14, 2011 08:59 PM
Charts in Excel 2011 Tex-Twil Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jan 9, 2011 08:06 AM
Excel 2011 - Auto format missing? sroveson Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Nov 3, 2010 09:39 AM
Does Excel on a Mac need a PTS package to use Pivot Table services? adylove3 Mac Basics and Help 1 Feb 4, 2009 05:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC