Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayden1250

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi,

Just asking what you guys think in regards to buying a MacBook Air. Should I buy now, or are we expecting a spec upgrade soon? Not in a huge rush to buy but don't want to wait for months.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Next update is in Q2 2012, like all the other threads point to.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find dozens of similar threads:

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Key is - if you need one now... go for it. If you can wait, then wait. Of course there will be a newer machine every few months.

If you keep waiting, you'll wait your entire life out for one :D

ethics101

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Pure Speculation on my part:

I don't see a huge update to the macbook air in Q1/Q2. Here's why: The Macbook Pro is the flagship of Apple's lineup. No way they give the Air a leg up over their flagship. Most I could see happening is the addition of a 15inch model, and maybe a slight processor update (ie. make i7 the standard). Go for it now.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
Pure Speculation on my part:

I don't see a huge update to the macbook air in Q1/Q2. Here's why: The Macbook Pro is the flagship of Apple's lineup. No way they give the Air a leg up over their flagship. Most I could see happening is the addition of a 15inch model, and maybe a slight processor update (ie. make i7 the standard). Go for it now.

I don't intend to start a holy war over here, but I don't see Macbook Pro as Apple's flagship product. The "flagshipness" isn't based solely on performance specs and as Apple says itself, regarding the Macbook Air: "The future of the Macbook". So, considering these facts, I believe that the Macbook Air in fact IS Apple's flagship product, based on mobility, and user experience factors.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
i don't agree with either of you..apple flagship product is the iphone and ipad...the computer as we know it today is on it's way to a slow death...ill even guess that lion maybe the last version of osx...

s2dio

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
i don't agree with either of you..apple flagship product is the iphone and ipad...the computer as we know it today is on it's way to a slow death...ill even guess that lion maybe the last version of osx...

I think you're being too pessimistic about traditional computing. The i-devices are mostly for information consumption, but someone still has to create the stuff. I do agree that there will be a shift in computing in general, but not too dramatic. The computers are here to stay :)

P.S. Let me correct myself: I was referring to the laptop segment when talking about the flagship laptops.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Back in the real world we will continue to use traditional computers so put down the koolaid you're drinking. For the average joe user that needs to look at the Internet, Facebook and email a tablet is great, but it will never replace a computer.

How about a $500 bet that lion is not the last version of osx?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The current ones came out in July so we probably won't be getting a newer one before July 2012. So I say go for it

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
The current ones came out in July so we probably won't be getting a newer one before July 2012. So I say go for it

+1. Up until last weet there were doubts about a Q1 refresh. With this news regarding desktop CPUs, I doubt the mobile parts will come sooner than Q2.

Buy now.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Hi,

Just asking what you guys think in regards to buying a MacBook Air. Should I buy now, or are we expecting a spec upgrade soon? Not in a huge rush to buy but don't want to wait for months.

Thanks!

If you need it now then buy it now current machines are total beasts!

If your current equipment is still holding up and you can wait it out another 6 months ... who knows exactly?

My current thinking is to enjoy my current machine but keep stashing cash away!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
+1. Up until last weet there were doubts about a Q1 refresh. With this news regarding desktop CPUs, I doubt the mobile parts will come sooner than Q2.

Buy now.

Exactly. The desktop and "standard" mobile processors aren't going to be released until sometime next quarter. These use the ULV (ultra low voltage) processors that are usually some of the last to be released (Sandy bridge ULV processors weren't released for 3-4 months after the "normal" Sandy Bridge procs). ULV processors need to be fairly mature and specially binned in order to meet the low watt requirements and that won't be for awhile. I'm guessing late Q2 or early Q3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.