Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2011, 05:05 AM   #1
funkmu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
New Mac OSX Lion: Starcraft 2 and Mouse movement

So I just got my first Mac ever and I'm incredibly frustrated by the mouse controls as well as the placement of the FN and CTRL keys.

EDIT: MacBook Pro btw

First of all, the mouse settings are grossly inaccurate for some reason. The acceleration, the accuracy everything is off in regular browsing, but in SC2 it's even worse. I can't even accurately box units due to the erratic mouse behavior. Is anyone else having this kind of issue? I'm used to the incredible accuracy of my Razer DeathAdder on my Windows PC, but the DeathAdder drivers dont even respond for my mac, so I stopped using it on the Mac.

Right now I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 on my mac and I just leave the DeathAdder tied to my PC.

Is there any way to fix this awful scrolling and switch the Fn and Ctrl key? I saw this software where you could remap some of the keys, but it didn't work really well for remapping my FN key.
funkmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:35 AM   #2
ninja2000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Yeah the mouse acceleration is terrible for gaming in osx.

To solve the issues you mentioned I did the following:

Installed bootcamp and do all my gaming on the windows partition. Gaming performance is much better in windows plus I can overclock my 6750.

Bought a razer nostromo gamepad. I did this for a few reasons
1. to combat the strange fn/ctl placement
2. to stop gaming wear and tear on my mbp keyboard
3. as I use it on my desktop and mbp I dont have to readjust to the keyboard
4. I find it much more comfortable than using a laptop.

I now use the bootcamp partition exclusively for games and the osx for everything else.
ninja2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Killery96
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmu View Post
So I just got my first Mac ever and I'm incredibly frustrated by the mouse controls as well as the placement of the FN and CTRL keys.

EDIT: MacBook Pro btw

First of all, the mouse settings are grossly inaccurate for some reason. The acceleration, the accuracy everything is off in regular browsing, but in SC2 it's even worse. I can't even accurately box units due to the erratic mouse behavior. Is anyone else having this kind of issue? I'm used to the incredible accuracy of my Razer DeathAdder on my Windows PC, but the DeathAdder drivers dont even respond for my mac, so I stopped using it on the Mac.

Right now I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 on my mac and I just leave the DeathAdder tied to my PC.

Is there any way to fix this awful scrolling and switch the Fn and Ctrl key? I saw this software where you could remap some of the keys, but it didn't work really well for remapping my FN key.
Congrats. You bought a new computer and found that it was different. Holy ****. Let's go to Mac Rumors and call it gross. Now, I have the Razer DeathAdder too. As it happens, they have Mac drivers for people who look, on their website. I play CoD4 on the Mac in addition to other things, and the accuracy is just fine. In Starcraft 2 I also micro perfectly. If you're using a magic mouse, then yes you might have problems with left and right click. The trackpad is also not very good for high-speed gaming. Otherwise, get used to the keys and download the drivers.

E.
__________________
Macbook Pro 2017, iXS3 7.84Ghz 6-Core, 16G DDR4X (4x4), Nvidia K340X w/3.5GB GDDR5, 1.512Tb SSD
Killery96 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:49 AM   #4
funkmu
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killery96 View Post
Congrats. You bought a new computer and found that it was different. Holy ****. Let's go to Mac Rumors and call it gross. Now, I have the Razer DeathAdder too. As it happens, they have Mac drivers for people who look, on their website. I play CoD4 on the Mac in addition to other things, and the accuracy is just fine. In Starcraft 2 I also micro perfectly. If you're using a magic mouse, then yes you might have problems with left and right click. The trackpad is also not very good for high-speed gaming. Otherwise, get used to the keys and download the drivers.

E.
Funny how your sarcasm is pointless and silly. I wouldn't have purchased this computer if I was just going to bash it. Stop assuming people haven't tried other solutions before coming here and making a post.

I in fact have the DeathAdder drivers installed on my Mac, but it doesn't seem to recognize my DeathAdder when I plug it in. I have the same problems after reinstalling the drivers and rebooting my Mac. I have tried SteerMouse, but its acceleration is still mind bogglingly strange and it's "auto hone" function makes me even more inaccurate.

Is creating a Windows partition the only way to get a satisfactory gaming experience? I have a PC for most gaming things I need, but I just want to be able to play SC2 on my Mac! Lol...

Also... found a fix for Fn and Ctrl, but it's really strange...
funkmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 03:27 AM   #5
ninja2000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
OK, I played around with SC2 in OSX last night with my razer naga.

I found if I disabled mouse acceleration in SC2 and adjusted my naga settings in the razer drivers I managed to get it pretty accurate. Still not quite as good as windows but you clearly want to game in osx.

I found the performance pretty good at 1680x1050 with medium-high settings using the discrete card (6750 in my case)
ninja2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 03:50 AM   #6
nilka
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I had some issues with this on my razer naga until razer released new drivers for it in mid august. This actually only applied to StarCraft 2, and was really annoying. I actually had to use the 3 first seconds of every match to adjust mouse sense. Now however my Naga is working perfect.
Looking at the dates for the drivers the deathadder they haven't been updated since may, and it might be there the problem is.

That said a lot of people complain about how the mouse sense is different on mac vs pc and how it makes it impossible to play on mac. And to be honest that is just ridiculous as it just takes some time to adjust. I myself have been doing competitive gaming on my mac for ages, and have never felt any problem competing on high level with my mac.

But yeah I do think your issue is with the drivers from razor. My experience was that my mouse worked ok without drivers and horrible with. So playing sc2 and most fps games wasn't an issue as I did not need macros. Playing games like WoW however was a bit more hassle as I have loads of macros there, but now with the drivers from august it is working perfect everywhere.
So I really hope its the drivers and razor will fix them.

The alternative would be something is wrong with your mouse/computer or that you are actually an impatient dude expecting everything being exactly the same. I could not play well on a PC without my mouse acceleration.
nilka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 04:29 AM   #7
Chlamydomonas
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
This may solve any mouse issues regarding Starcraft 2 mouse acceleration providing you can alter your mouses sensitivity outside the system preferences of OS X (i.e mouse driver software or perhaps physical sensitivity buttons on the mouse).

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=194668

Have not used windows for a while so I can't provide a comparison but I feel as though it works rather well.
Chlamydomonas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 04:46 AM   #8
cluthz
macrumors 68040
 
cluthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norway
Send a message via MSN to cluthz
There is a very easy solution:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-...-command-line/

you can also just make a simple applescript and add it to startup items,
like I've done.
I only use this on my desktop, because with trackpad I don't think i could live without it.
__________________
-tb
MacBook Air 13" i5 osx10.7.5
HackPro i7-4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX780GHz Edition, 3x SSD , win7+osx10.9.4
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:47 AM   #9
Gulzt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killery96 View Post
Congrats. You bought a new computer and found that it was different. Holy ****. Let's go to Mac Rumors and call it gross. Now, I have the Razer DeathAdder too. As it happens, they have Mac drivers for people who look, on their website. I play CoD4 on the Mac in addition to other things, and the accuracy is just fine. In Starcraft 2 I also micro perfectly. If you're using a magic mouse, then yes you might have problems with left and right click. The trackpad is also not very good for high-speed gaming. Otherwise, get used to the keys and download the drivers.

E.

You are probably not running OSX Lion Killery96. The razer deathadder drivers worked fine in Snow Leopard, but with the release of Lion it's a disaster. I've contacted Razer about it, and they say they don't support Lion yet, nor is there a concrete date scheduled for a patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluthz View Post
There is a very easy solution:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-...-command-line/

you can also just make a simple applescript and add it to startup items,
like I've done.
I only use this on my desktop, because with trackpad I don't think i could live without it.
Thanks so much! It's not a 100% solution, but at least it indeed gets rid of the acceleration, awesome, thanks!
Gulzt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSX Mavericks + Thunderbolt, Mouse movement issue AA5B Tiger OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Oct 26, 2013 03:25 PM
Jerky mouse movement ViltiesVance OS X 1 Sep 2, 2013 11:02 AM
Macbook pro 2011 OSX Lion not detecting USB mouse properly bropot420bro MacBook Pro 0 Aug 8, 2013 12:33 AM
OS X: Turning my mouse movement into a joystick input pycyununn Mac and PC Games 1 Jul 21, 2013 07:49 PM
Windows: Choppy mouse movement on Torchlight 2 Acorn Mac and PC Games 0 Oct 18, 2012 10:42 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC