Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkmu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
So I just got my first Mac ever and I'm incredibly frustrated by the mouse controls as well as the placement of the FN and CTRL keys.

EDIT: MacBook Pro btw

First of all, the mouse settings are grossly inaccurate for some reason. The acceleration, the accuracy everything is off in regular browsing, but in SC2 it's even worse. I can't even accurately box units due to the erratic mouse behavior. Is anyone else having this kind of issue? I'm used to the incredible accuracy of my Razer DeathAdder on my Windows PC, but the DeathAdder drivers dont even respond for my mac, so I stopped using it on the Mac.

Right now I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 on my mac and I just leave the DeathAdder tied to my PC.

Is there any way to fix this awful scrolling and switch the Fn and Ctrl key? I saw this software where you could remap some of the keys, but it didn't work really well for remapping my FN key.

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Yeah the mouse acceleration is terrible for gaming in osx.

To solve the issues you mentioned I did the following:

Installed bootcamp and do all my gaming on the windows partition. Gaming performance is much better in windows plus I can overclock my 6750.

Bought a razer nostromo gamepad. I did this for a few reasons
1. to combat the strange fn/ctl placement
2. to stop gaming wear and tear on my mbp keyboard
3. as I use it on my desktop and mbp I dont have to readjust to the keyboard
4. I find it much more comfortable than using a laptop.

I now use the bootcamp partition exclusively for games and the osx for everything else.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2011
So I just got my first Mac ever and I'm incredibly frustrated by the mouse controls as well as the placement of the FN and CTRL keys.

EDIT: MacBook Pro btw

First of all, the mouse settings are grossly inaccurate for some reason. The acceleration, the accuracy everything is off in regular browsing, but in SC2 it's even worse. I can't even accurately box units due to the erratic mouse behavior. Is anyone else having this kind of issue? I'm used to the incredible accuracy of my Razer DeathAdder on my Windows PC, but the DeathAdder drivers dont even respond for my mac, so I stopped using it on the Mac.

Right now I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 on my mac and I just leave the DeathAdder tied to my PC.

Is there any way to fix this awful scrolling and switch the Fn and Ctrl key? I saw this software where you could remap some of the keys, but it didn't work really well for remapping my FN key.

Congrats. You bought a new computer and found that it was different. Holy ****. Let's go to Mac Rumors and call it gross. Now, I have the Razer DeathAdder too. As it happens, they have Mac drivers for people who look, on their website. I play CoD4 on the Mac in addition to other things, and the accuracy is just fine. In Starcraft 2 I also micro perfectly. If you're using a magic mouse, then yes you might have problems with left and right click. The trackpad is also not very good for high-speed gaming. Otherwise, get used to the keys and download the drivers.

E.

funkmu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Congrats. You bought a new computer and found that it was different. Holy ****. Let's go to Mac Rumors and call it gross. Now, I have the Razer DeathAdder too. As it happens, they have Mac drivers for people who look, on their website. I play CoD4 on the Mac in addition to other things, and the accuracy is just fine. In Starcraft 2 I also micro perfectly. If you're using a magic mouse, then yes you might have problems with left and right click. The trackpad is also not very good for high-speed gaming. Otherwise, get used to the keys and download the drivers.

E.

Funny how your sarcasm is pointless and silly. I wouldn't have purchased this computer if I was just going to bash it. Stop assuming people haven't tried other solutions before coming here and making a post.

I in fact have the DeathAdder drivers installed on my Mac, but it doesn't seem to recognize my DeathAdder when I plug it in. I have the same problems after reinstalling the drivers and rebooting my Mac. I have tried SteerMouse, but its acceleration is still mind bogglingly strange and it's "auto hone" function makes me even more inaccurate.

Is creating a Windows partition the only way to get a satisfactory gaming experience? I have a PC for most gaming things I need, but I just want to be able to play SC2 on my Mac! Lol...

Also... found a fix for Fn and Ctrl, but it's really strange...

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
OK, I played around with SC2 in OSX last night with my razer naga.

I found if I disabled mouse acceleration in SC2 and adjusted my naga settings in the razer drivers I managed to get it pretty accurate. Still not quite as good as windows but you clearly want to game in osx.

I found the performance pretty good at 1680x1050 with medium-high settings using the discrete card (6750 in my case)

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I had some issues with this on my razer naga until razer released new drivers for it in mid august. This actually only applied to StarCraft 2, and was really annoying. I actually had to use the 3 first seconds of every match to adjust mouse sense. Now however my Naga is working perfect.
Looking at the dates for the drivers the deathadder they haven't been updated since may, and it might be there the problem is.

That said a lot of people complain about how the mouse sense is different on mac vs pc and how it makes it impossible to play on mac. And to be honest that is just ridiculous as it just takes some time to adjust. I myself have been doing competitive gaming on my mac for ages, and have never felt any problem competing on high level with my mac.

But yeah I do think your issue is with the drivers from razor. My experience was that my mouse worked ok without drivers and horrible with. So playing sc2 and most fps games wasn't an issue as I did not need macros. Playing games like WoW however was a bit more hassle as I have loads of macros there, but now with the drivers from august it is working perfect everywhere.
So I really hope its the drivers and razor will fix them.

The alternative would be something is wrong with your mouse/computer or that you are actually an impatient dude expecting everything being exactly the same. I could not play well on a PC without my mouse acceleration.

Gulzt

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010

E.

You are probably not running OSX Lion Killery96. The razer deathadder drivers worked fine in Snow Leopard, but with the release of Lion it's a disaster. I've contacted Razer about it, and they say they don't support Lion yet, nor is there a concrete date scheduled for a patch.

There is a very easy solution:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-os-x-mouse-acceleration-from-the-command-line/

you can also just make a simple applescript and add it to startup items,
like I've done.
I only use this on my desktop, because with trackpad I don't think i could live without it.

Thanks so much! It's not a 100% solution, but at least it indeed gets rid of the acceleration, awesome, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.