Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nashyo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Bristol
How can I make the top hit 'search web for...'

I want to be able to cmd + space a query for an internet search.

Thanks

I'm using OS X 10.7.2

nashyo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Bristol
System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results

Thanks, but I've tried looking there.

There are 16 categories and none of them apply to 'search web for'.

There is a 'webpages' category, but that only searches websites in my history or bookmarks. I want to search google.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm glad you find it amusing, but perhaps you'd benefit from some understanding of what Spotlight is designed for:
Spotlight is a system-wide desktop search feature of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Spotlight is a selection-based search system, which creates a virtual index of all items and files on the system. It is designed to allow the user to quickly locate a wide variety of items on the computer, including documents, pictures, music, applications, and System Preferences. In addition, specific words in documents and in web pages in a web browser's history or bookmarks can be searched.

nashyo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Bristol
I'm glad you find it amusing, but perhaps you'd benefit from some understanding of what Spotlight is designed for:

Spotlight does have a search web for feature. My question is, how do I make it the top hit. Or at least make it appear at the top. It's a new feature.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Spotlight does have a search web for feature. My question is, how do I make it the top hit. Or at least make it appear at the top. It's a new feature.
It only searches the browser history or bookmarks stored on your computer, not the internet. To make it the top hit, follow the instructions in my first post.

nashyo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Bristol
screenshot20111205at192.png

There's a section for webpages, and a section for 'search web for'.

Check out the attached pic. I've literally taken a screen shot of it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

There's a section for webpages, and a section for 'search web for'.

Check out the attached pic. I've literally taken a screen shot of it.
That's new for Lion. Dragging webpages to the top in Preferences should put the search results on top. If it doesn't, it's a limitation of the new Lion feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.