Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Two days ago I did a full wipe and reinstall of Lion on my wife's Feb 2011 13" MBP. I did it via a USB recovery partition, rather than even booting into the existing one.

Once Lion had downloaded and installed, I did a Software Update, rebooted after that, copied all of her data back over, then spent the next few hours reinstalling all of her apps. This was to try to eliminate the weird slowness issue I posted about here a few weeks ago.

Well, that worked fine. The machine was much faster. Yesterday, I made some final touches on it... installing printer drivers and such. Then she started using it. She tried to convert a video with Xilisoft Converter (from the app store) and it crashed several times. So she rebooted. It hasn't come back since.

Booting with Verbose Mode showed BootCache issues. Googling revealed various solutions (including some from threads here). I tried all of them. None worked. I tried a Disk Repair, and that failed too. I booted into Single User Mode and ran fsck. It failed every time I tried it. I finally gave up and put the original 500 gig drive back in it and did a full wipe/reinstall during the night.

I've since put the 1 TB drive into a USB enclosure, but it won't mount... says to run Disk Repair first... which of course, fails.

Is there any way to get this thing to mount so I can copy a few files off of it that I didn't have backed up? They're not hyper critical but it'd sure be nice to get them back.

I'm wondering if this is a bad hard drive. I've also noticed that the computer is even faster with the 500 gig drive in it than with the 1 tb.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Rob

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Is DiskWarrior really that good? For $100 it better be.

I won't need it now though (thankfully); I managed to get the old drive up as read-only and got the last few files off of it that I needed. I've since deleted the partition, recreated it, reformatted, and am doing a Time Machine backup to it, mostly as a test to see if the drive will keep working.

Rob

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
which brand 1tb drive is it? i've been looking at getting a 1tb drive for my MBP, but i've been reading some mixed reviews from certain brands.

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
To test the drive with Disk Utility... Erase with writing 0's (zeros). Will usually pickup an issue. The best way is to test it with Drive Genius or some other in depth disk utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.