Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
Ok so I just got one of those sweet Dell 20" widescreen LCDs. I am using a G4 powerbook 12".

I'm having trouble taking advantage of it's higher resolution screen.

I want to watch DVDs or use desktop applications on the larger screen and taking advantage of it's full resolution capability. Is that possible?

When I separate the two displays, I seem to be able to use the higher resolution of the 20" widescreen, however if I "mirror" the two displays, i'm stuck using the lower resolution of my powerbook on the larger screen.

I can't seem to run DVD player or move the dock over to the larger screen when I am in dual display mode. I basically want to use this new display and just forget about looking at my powerbook display when I am at home. And use it's full resolution. Is this even possible? Does my post make sense? Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Help?!

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
Get a external keyboard and mouse. Connect the display, keyboard and mouse. Put the PB to sleep by closing the lid. Waked the PB with external keyboard or mouse. The extrenal display will be your only display.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
You should make the external monitor the primary monitor. In the display panel, at the top will be a little bar --- over your powerbooks screen. drag that over to your dell flat panel - and the flat panel will have the dock on the bottom from now on.

kyle

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
wow so simple!!! Thanks guys i'm loving it!!!! I can't believe I fiddled with this for so long and didn't see this.

Got the external mouse taken care of, now just need to get a wireless keyboard and then I'm good to go.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
oh and off course one other thing: if you use mirroring both screens will be set to the resolution from the one thats lowest, so in this case its quite logic your 20" goes tot the res from the built-in screen...

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Not to hijack the thread, but...

I have the Dell 2005fpw and I'm just wondering what I might need to hook up cable tv, dvd player or ps2 to the monitor for use in PIP or side by side mode. And is it worth the trouble?

Love the monitor by the way! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.