Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 5, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
azdunerat
macrumors regular

Getting an ATV2 as a gift will it work for me?

So I have a mac mini running plex in my office and a 2TB lacie connected to my AEBS with all of my media able to stream to my various devices. My wifes little brother is getting us an ATV2 for christmas for my home theater and I am not sure if it will integrate into the system easily or if it will be more trouble than its worth.

I have all of my music in my itunes library but my movies have been ripped and encoded with handbrake and I think most of it is in H.264 but I am not sure. itunes does not recognize the moves but I have never really tried to. Plex has all of the cover art and titles synced and works perfectly. I know you can jailbrake ATV2 but I am not really into the entire JB and basic code to make ATV compatible with PLEX.
azdunerat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:03 PM   #2
slothrob
macrumors 6502

If you encoded the movies with Handbrake, but they have .mp4 suffixes, they won't be recognized by the aTV. If you change the suffix to .m4v, they should be recognized by iTunes and play on the aTV, depending on the settings you used.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater