Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:10 PM   #1
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Buy A Frappuccino With Food Stamps At Oregon Starbucks In Grocery Stores

Absolutely ridiculous. The price of a starbucks drink could be used to buy actual food for a family that needs it.

Quote:
Oregon Trail cards can't be used at stand-alone Starbucks locations, but in-store registers mark cold beverages as a grocery item.
Don't try to add any additional syrup to that Frappuccino, however, as it is not covered under the food stamp rules.
Link
likemyorbs is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:30 PM   #2
kavika411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
Buy A Frappuccino With Food Stamps At Oregon Starbucks In Grocery Stores
Well, that's what happens when you rely on incompetent private sector charities to provide assistance for those in need. The Government is in a much better position to establish guidelines for assistance for those in need.
kavika411 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:37 PM   #3
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

Your tax dollars hard at work.
bruinsrme is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:55 PM   #4
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Well, from reading the story, it appears that the fault lies with Safeway, which reports the sales at in-house Starbucks as grocery items.

It's interesting, how much control do you want the food stamp system to have over individuals' eating habits?

The system mostly restricts food that can be eaten in the store, but allows for some exceptions, this was one loophole that, according to the article, may be closed. Off the things to find offensive, this is pretty far down the list.

Moreover, does anyone know how often this happens? What other states do about similar programs? Are there any metrics besides this one illustrative story?

Frankly, the story is shoddy.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Here's the problem with the story and why you have to carefully check your sources when reading articles.

Your link to the consumerist says:

Quote:
She used it to buy a tall Frappuccino and a slice of pumpkin bread at a Starbucks located inside of a Safeway grocery store.
Ok that sounds bad. However, that article links to the original Fox 12 affiliate KPTV which says:

Quote:
Fowler, who made the purchase only for the purpose of our story, says she thinks it's a huge misuse of the food assistance program.
When you pick and choose bits and pieces of an article, you can make it sound however you want.

I'd bet the majority of people never even knew about this loophole or used it
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Rodimus Prime
Banned

So basically to sum it up. It is fake news trying to make a story out of nothing.
Not surprising it is from fake news.

It is Safeway screw up. Not a mistake with food stamps. There is nothing the government did wrong as Safeway has it miss labeled the system approves it.

I
Rodimus Prime is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:45 AM   #7
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Are we all also getting worked up over tax loopholes that we KNOW are exploited by mega corporations to swindle the US out of billions of dollars?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Simgar988
macrumors 65816

No! Because people who run corporations have taken big risks to be where they are, while poor people who need food stamps can only be explained as lazy.

It's the lazy people at fault, not the hard workers
Simgar988 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:31 AM   #9
eawmp1
macrumors 601

At 190 calories for a Tall and 323 calories for a Venti, it's not right no matter how you pay for it.

Last edited by eawmp1; Dec 6, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
eawmp1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:12 PM   #10
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMike View Post
...I'd bet the majority of people never even knew about this loophole or used it
I agree, the lack of context is really a problem. How many people do this? How much has Starbucks/Safeway made from the food stamp program? Is this a freak event or a daily happenstance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
...It is Safeway screw up. Not a mistake with food stamps. There is nothing the government did wrong as Safeway has it miss labeled the system approves it...
I agree, if Safeway treats a frappuccino as a grocery item, but not extra shots of syrup, that's a flaw at Safeway. The government program was apparently unaware of thisówhich makes me wonder about how they audit spendingóbut this was a loophole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Are we all also getting worked up over tax loopholes that we KNOW are exploited by mega corporations to swindle the US out of billions of dollars?
The major banks had secret loans worth trillions, but let's talk about someone on food stamps getting a coffee.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:42 PM   #11
cshearer
macrumors regular

That Starbucks is not a real Starbucks. It's a licensed Starbucks, aka, their employees only think they're baristas. In Pennsylvania, there are certain types of foods you cannot buy with food stamps, including hot items. If the drink didn't fall under the scrutiny of the law, then it isn't the fault of Starbucks (even more so because they aren't actually a Starbucks store).

At the end of the day, a Frappuncino is still nourishment, albeit not the most healthy kind. Claims of our prices are always greatly exaggerated, especially when people pin us in the same group as licensed stores who often charge way more.
cshearer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:43 PM   #12
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
The major banks had secret loans worth trillions, but let's talk about someone on food stamps getting a coffee.
Remember the "welfare queen driving in her Caddy?" Nevermind that no one could find her, or even verify if she existed. Oh wait, they found her...

Quote:
Cadillac Queens.
Over a period of about five years, Reagan told the story of the "Chicago welfare queen" who had 80 names, 30 addresses, 12 Social Security cards, and collected benefits for "four nonexisting deceased husbands," bilking the government out of "over $150,000." The real welfare recipient to whom Reagan referred was actually convicted for using two different aliases to collect $8,000. Reagan continued to use his version of the story even after the press pointed out the actual facts of the case to him.

Last edited by mcrain; Dec 6, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
mcrain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:51 PM   #13
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshearer View Post
In Pennsylvania, there are certain types of foods you cannot buy with food stamps, including hot items.
I think it's the same in Florida. I was at Publix one time and these people holding a case of beer were asking if they could buy hot chicken with food stamps. The lady said no, but pointed them to where they had cold cooked chicken. I'm sure they had to pay for the beer in cash, but never knew the hot/cold purchase thing existed till then. Never had a reason to know though.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:52 PM   #14
ericrwalker
Banned

This isn't related, but when you mentioned Caddy, I thought of this granny.

Check out this car. What song did CNN play? Thank God that wasn't Fox that played that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oF1pf5V-SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Remember the "welfare queen driving in her Caddy?" Nevermind that no one could find her, or even verify if she existed.
ericrwalker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:57 PM   #15
cshearer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMike View Post
I think it's the same in Florida. I was at Publix one time and these people holding a case of beer were asking if they could buy hot chicken with food stamps. The lady said no, but pointed them to where they had cold cooked chicken. I'm sure they had to pay for the beer in cash, but never knew the hot/cold purchase thing existed till then. Never had a reason to know though.
I used to work at Sheetz years back, kind of a WaWa type place in states surrounding PA. People would get so mad when we told them we can't heat their food. Why in the world anyone would come to Sheetz to get food when they can barely afford it to begin with is beyond me.

I do hope with future posts people realize that you can't use food stamps at an actual Starbucks.
cshearer is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues