Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skidmore101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
This is a little complicated so bear with me. I've bolded the important points to try to make it not too long. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum--I wasn't sure where the best place to post it would be!

I have an iPhone 4S and a MacBook Pro (17"). My boyfriend has an iPhone 4 and a Asus Desktop PC Computer (Ethernet connected).

We are having issues with sound feedback on my end but ONLY when we are Facetiming from my MacBook to his iPhone AND his phone is near his computer. If it's phone-to-phone there are no issues, and if it's Macbook to phone and his phone is away from his computer there are no issues. Also, once the feedback starts, moving away from the computer doesn't help.

The feedback is very peculiar. Only I can hear it, and it's only when I speak. It sounds like a crackly echo of my voice mixed with a lower frequency of the awful screeching of a mic being too close to the speakers.

Again, he can't hear anything, and when he speaks I hear no feedback.

Do you have any ideas on how to solve this issue besides using a different device on my end or moving on his end? I'm convinced that it's something to do between his computer and phone and I'm hoping that there's a simple solution to fix the problem rather than just avoid it!

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Quangg

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issues as you
I'm a new Macbook Pro user (2 weeks) and this problem occurs to me when I'm FaceTiming with an iPhone 4 user (so Macbook-to-iPhone)

The one thing I noticed is that it only happens when the iPhone user uses the speakers to hear me
After like a minute I then hear clicking, echoing and weird high-pitched noises (but they don't hear it) and it won't go away
After awhile the sound completely disappears and I'm not able to hear the iPhone user at all

My "solution" so far is having the iPhone user using a headset/earphones to hear me
Only then this sound issue never takes place during a session and we can FaceTime for hours without any problems

I hope there is or will be a fix for this soon and if not, I hope my workaround will work for you and others who are experiencing this problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.