Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a safari extension (or failing that a Chrome plugin...I don't really want to switch back for Firefox for this, although would prob be the most likely)

I want to be able to click on something I want to download and for Safari to automatically put that file type into a folder I've predefined.

For instance images go into a picture sub folder, .dmgs somewhere else, .torrent can go into a folder my torrent app automatically scans, .nzbs can be downloaded to a server share etc, etc.

Seems like a simple thing, yet I cannot find a more precise solution other than downloading everything into one folder...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Set up a smart filter for the Safari download folder.

There is NO NEED TO SORT MANUALLY.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Set up a smart filter for the Safari download folder.

There is NO NEED TO SORT MANUALLY.

Do you mean "Smart Folders" rather than a smart filter?

In theory a great idea (and a good suggestion) in reality its just not the same or as flexible as an extension which would actually put the files in their own folders - simply because Smart Folders are nothing more than a glorified saved spotlight search and the problem is they don't work across network shares or multiple computers - so it destroys my requirement of wanting to click on an NZB and have it download to a specific folder my Mac Mini server monitors to download...

...rather than have to download it then drag it into the shared network folder for the same thing to happen.

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
This is the sort of thing I use Hazel for. Just set up rules for your Download folder and have it move files to different locations based on their type.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
This is the sort of thing I use Hazel for. Just set up rules for your Download folder and have it move files to different locations based on their type.

ah ha, on the button - I tried Hazel a few years back and I didn't really get into it - but now I have a very good reason...thanks, i'll give it a whirl!

- D

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
Or use Automator and folder actions on your Downloads folder. Not as slick as Hazel, but cheaper.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I went for Hazel as it works perfectly.

I can now one click nzb files, hazel moves from download folder to a folder in dropbox that all my macs access. The Mac mini is running a SABnzbd server which monitors the dropbox folder and automatically starts downloading the nzb based on my settings for the schedule.

Perfect, slick and works from wherever I am in the world on the internet...I click download on my Macbook Air and the file is automatically downloaded on my Mac mini server, organised and moved to where it needs to be.

Finally! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.