Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJFirehawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Hello. First off, this is my first post on this forum so please excuse me if this is in the wrong section. Secondly, I am not too experienced with installing new hardware but I can install a graphics card. I have a simple question that I can't seem to find the answer to. My question is if a PNY GTX 285 1024MB graphics card will work with my Mac Pro. I have installed the card after I installed the CUDA drivers for Mac but nothing happens upon start up. I realize that EVGA makes a Mac compatible version of this card but I recieved this card free and I really want to be able to use it. if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I have a GTX285 for my Mac Pro, and I installed the nVidia driver first, then card, then CUDA driver. That worked perfectly.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hello. First off, this is my first post on this forum so please excuse me if this is in the wrong section. Secondly, I am not too experienced with installing new hardware but I can install a graphics card. I have a simple question that I can't seem to find the answer to. My question is if a PNY GTX 285 1024MB graphics card will work with my Mac Pro. I have installed the card after I installed the CUDA drivers for Mac but nothing happens upon start up. I realize that EVGA makes a Mac compatible version of this card but I recieved this card free and I really want to be able to use it. if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

without an efi rom on it, you won't get much unless you install aty_init

in lion, that will enable card but you won't see anything til boot done

in sl you need to install quadro drivers too

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
might wanna add that if your in SL, and pervious to the 10.6.8 then you will need a helper card too. ;)
love the 285, its an awesome mac card. :)

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
ATY_Init works just fine

I have it on 2 different Mac Pros and just about any Nvidia card works with it.

if it isn't working for you, problem is on your end

be sure you have Lion version

Try with JUST the GTX285 installed, and keep in mind that card won't light up until end of boot sequence.

Easy way to tell if boot is over is when volume keys work

If you want to solve issues, best if you have another Mac and set up Screen Sharing

ATY_Init works

kkanuck

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
ATY_Init works just fine

I have it on 2 different Mac Pros and just about any Nvidia card works with it.

if it isn't working for you, problem is on your end

be sure you have Lion version

Try with JUST the GTX285 installed, and keep in mind that card won't light up until end of boot sequence.

Easy way to tell if boot is over is when volume keys work

If you want to solve issues, best if you have another Mac and set up Screen Sharing

ATY_Init works

ATY_Init is only needed if one has a PC version of the card?

I have the Mac edition, and when I first upgraded to Lion, it would lose thew screen once in a while where I had to power down and force restart or no go. Now on 10.7.2 it seems stable. It will not work in bootcamp for windows however, is there any way to fix this without a helper card installed on top of the GTX 285 mac?

Cheers,

DeCompose

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
It is PC card. it works with ATY_Init in 10.6.x.

Now I am trying everything to run it, changing ATY_init versions for Lion, but not... don't wanna start :(

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I have a GTX285 for my Mac Pro, and I installed the nVidia driver first, then card, then CUDA driver. That worked perfectly.

Which drivers have installed exactly? Are they th official ones from NVIDIA or hacks? Can you list the version numbers.... I am thinking of purchasing a GTX285 for my Mac Pro but want to make sure i can get it up and running ok in theory before i purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.