Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ibooks15.jpg

Apple released a version 1.5 update to their iBooks iOS app that provides a number of new features to the ebook application:
iBooks 1.5 adds the following new features as well as some stability and performance improvements:

- Nighttime reading theme makes reading books in the dark easier on the eyes.
- Full-screen layout lets you focus on the words without distraction.
- iBooks now features an improved selection of fonts, including Athelas, Charter, Iowan, and Seravek.
- Beautiful new classic covers for public domain books.
- Support for pop-up footnotes, included in select iBookstore titles.
- A redesigned annotation palette makes it easier to choose a color for your highlighted text.
iBooks is a universal app that supports iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. [App Store]

Article Link: Apple Updates iBooks App with Nighttime Reading Theme, New Fonts, More

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Interesting changes. I will be downloading shortly :).

iBooks is one of the first things that really blew me away when I picked up an iPad for the first time.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Between this and future retina displays (Fingers crossed) I think that leaves exactly 1 situation left where e ink makes sense. All other situations have been locked up tight.

hyperipod

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
NO WAY! THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO DIM THE STATUS BAR!

Also, does anyone else feel Notification Center laggy in fullscreen/night mode ?

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Does ibooks sync across devices?
I been having troubles reading a book on my iPad, and then picking it where I left off on the iPhone and then switching back.

Is there something I am just missing, or should I be doing something to make it sync?

Also cool update, I'll check it out once I get home

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Does ibooks sync across devices?
I been having troubles reading a book on my iPad, and then picking it where I left off on the iPhone and then switching back.

Is there something I am just missing, or should I be doing something to make it sync?

Also cool update, I'll check it out once I get home

Yes, works for me between devices. Usually after switching....when I launch the other device....I give it a few seconds to get updated to my latest spot.

-Kevin

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Wow looks really nice. Can't wait to start reading in night and full screen modes!

lymanicempire

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
It's great to see some fantastic features of Marco Arment's Instapaper brought over to iBooks. Good stuff.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Now that Steve Jobs has departed -- R.I.P. -- I hope Apple's management can now move beyond some of Steve's bloody-minded areas of resistance:

1) create an iBook reader for Mac. - I currenrly have 200+ Kindle books, and would much have preferred to get them in iBook format. But I want something I can read cross-platform on my iPhone/iPad as well as Mac.

2) matte screens for iMac and Cinema Displays, and 13" MBP and MBA. C'mon, see the reasons given at the petition site http://macmatte.wordpress.com

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Awesome! I never even thought of such a simple thing for night reading. This is sweet. You gotta try it. I would take this over the Kindle reading experience of e-ink at night ANY day. New fonts and full screen nice as well. But I love reading at night, and it used to be a blinding experience, even turned down.

punkromance

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
A good update, the night mode was one reason iBooks sucked in comparison to the others, though I'll be sticking with the Kindle app.
The Kindle version looks much the same, only it does away with the header and footer at top and bottom and the text goes to the edge of the screen. For an iPad it wouldn't be much of an issue and I'm sure iBooks would be fine, but for an iPod/Phone you want all the screen real-estate for text you can.

GJN

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
For some reason it screws up titles of PDFs on my iPad 2. It changes my descriptive titles to what seems like the original cryptic PDF file name.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I'm curious about night mode. I've been reading in the dark and haven't had any problems maybe now I'll see the light.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Sweet. This update fixes what I considered the two biggest issues with iBooks. (all the unnecessary clutter and no night mode)

Amazon already had that "night mode". If the tables were flipped, you'd all be screaming for a lawsuit.

Other ebook apps had a night mode long before the Kindle app arrived on the app store.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
ePub 3.0 add-ons

I see Apple is moving ahead with ePub 3.0 spec options which is HTML 5/CSS 3 for books.

This makes me happy writing my own novels. The EndNotes/Footnotes with Javascript in clever ways, like the HTML 5 Canvas support in ePub 3.0 will be a welcome change to interactive books.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
LOL! See, isnt it nice when Apple gives its customers OPTIONS? Who would have thunk to see Apple fanboys give pleasant feedback in such a case.

Now if only Apple applied this philosophy of choice in other areas...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Where did the images in the article come from?

I'm just curious if Apple provided images of iPhones with only a 16% battery charge... seems like an odd thing for them to overlook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.