Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Jynto
macrumors 6502

For those of us sad enough to actually dream about Macs

I just had one of my most memorable nightmares in a while, and it was about my MacBook Pro being stolen. Allow me to explain. I often dream about tech. There was this one dream when I was using five Magic Trackpads at once. And another where I heard a 'leak' that Apple was going to buy Microsoft.

In real life I own a 13-inch MacBook Pro. And while it isn't the dream machine in my signature, it has been my only computer for almost 3 years. I love it to bits. Anyway, the dream:

My roommate and I almost managed to see the burglar, but he got away before we could find him. We didn't know what he had stolen, until I realised with horror that he had taken (among other things) my precious MacBook Pro.

We reported it to the police as soon as possible. At least one of my roommates' computers was also stolen, so we went to the computer shop to buy a new one. I needed a computer right away, so until they found mine, I decided to rent a Chromebook.

My 12-core Mac Pro (because apparently I had one in the dream) had been stolen too. I didn't admit this to anyone, mainly because I was too ashamed to admit that my 3000-4000 computer had been stolen. But also I wasn't sure I had one in the first place, or if I'd just dreamed it (how meta). I certainly couldn't have afforded it as a student, when I never have that much money in my bank account at any one time.

There were several Chromebooks and Chromeboxes available to rent, but all the cheap ones were gone. I pointed to the only one I liked, but when I looked at it from the side, it was actually be an iMac G3. I left emptyhanded.

Later, only a day after the burglary, the receptionist of the hotel we lived in told me there was good news, and handed me my MacBook Pro (implying it had been recovered by the police). I asked him if they had found a Mac Pro as well, but he said they hadn't. He also gave me a big handful of coins. And while I was a little disappointed to not have a Mac Pro, I was overjoyed to get my MBP back.

I ran upstairs excitedly told my roommates the good news, while hugging my MBP, but I didn't get a response. One of them shouted at the TV because she was playing Skyrim, and the other two just said nothing. The dream ended there.

My subconscious must have forgotten about backup drives, because these were never mentioned as an option. It is rare that I remember this much from a dream, and even rarer to have a nightmare that resolves itself like this.

What about you? Has anyone else had a dream about a Mac, or a Mac rumor?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:15 AM   #2
cambookpro
macrumors 601

OK, well that was weird.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynto View Post
I just had one of my most memorable nightmares in a while, and it was about my MacBook Pro being stolen. Allow me to explain. I often dream about tech. There was this one dream when I was using five Magic Trackpads at once. And another where I heard a 'leak' that Apple was going to buy Microsoft.

In real life I own a 13-inch MacBook Pro. And while it isn't the dream machine in my signature, it has been my only computer for almost 3 years. I love it to bits. Anyway, the dream:

My roommate and I almost managed to see the burglar, but he got away before we could find him. We didn't know what he had stolen, until I realised with horror that he had taken (among other things) my precious MacBook Pro.

We reported it to the police as soon as possible. At least one of my roommates' computers was also stolen, so we went to the computer shop to buy a new one. I needed a computer right away, so until they found mine, I decided to rent a Chromebook.

My 12-core Mac Pro (because apparently I had one in the dream) had been stolen too. I didn't admit this to anyone, mainly because I was too ashamed to admit that my 3000-4000 computer had been stolen. But also I wasn't sure I had one in the first place, or if I'd just dreamed it (how meta). I certainly couldn't have afforded it as a student, when I never have that much money in my bank account at any one time.

There were several Chromebooks and Chromeboxes available to rent, but all the cheap ones were gone. I pointed to the only one I liked, but when I looked at it from the side, it was actually be an iMac G3. I left emptyhanded.

Later, only a day after the burglary, the receptionist of the hotel we lived in told me there was good news, and handed me my MacBook Pro (implying it had been recovered by the police). I asked him if they had found a Mac Pro as well, but he said they hadn't. He also gave me a big handful of coins. And while I was a little disappointed to not have a Mac Pro, I was overjoyed to get my MBP back.

I ran upstairs excitedly told my roommates the good news, while hugging my MBP, but I didn't get a response. One of them shouted at the TV because she was playing Skyrim, and the other two just said nothing. The dream ended there.

My subconscious must have forgotten about backup drives, because these were never mentioned as an option. It is rare that I remember this much from a dream, and even rarer to have a nightmare that resolves itself like this.

What about you? Has anyone else had a dream about a Mac, or a Mac rumor?
You should get out more often and enjoy the fresh air..
WhiteIphone5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
eric/

Might be thinking about computers too much. A friend of mine always had dreams about World of Warcraft because he just played it all the time.

But a dream is a dream. Whateves
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:34 AM   #5
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Is this real life?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:18 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

No, I don't dream about Macs.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

No problem here.

Nope...nothing to worry about.

Not a thing.

It's really OK.

Perfectly normal.

Really...trust me

OH MY GOD!!!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
No problem here.

Not a thing.

It's really OK.

Perfectly normal.

Really...trust me

OH MY GOD!!!
He's a professional.

And OP, you might want to go out and hit the dating scene.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Hexiii
macrumors 6502a

Well, there is nothing wrong with having a dream like this... it's just the way you put it....
Hexiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

As long as its not a pipe dream, you're ok.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:56 PM   #11
KaraH
macrumors 6502

I recently had a dream about a Mac Pro announcement. Then when I woke up and wondered why nobody on the net was talking about it. Gee, could I be any more anxious to hear Apple saying something?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you had a real nightmare.

I have often had dreams about program code when working on a difficult problem. Most of the times it has been utter rubbish, but not every time. I never had dreams about Macs specifically, though.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Roller
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No problem here.

Not a thing.

It's really OK.

Perfectly normal.

Really...trust me

OH MY GOD!!!
Is this in DSM V? Macmares?
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
Is this in DSM V? Macmares?
You have an advance copy!!??
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:20 PM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

OP. I understand how you feel. Click here and go outdoors for your salvation!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Jynto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
You should get out more often and enjoy the fresh air..
Tell that to my subconscious!

----------

Quote:
No problem here.
Perfectly normal.
Come now, there's no need to use the N word.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexiii View Post
Well, there is nothing wrong with having a dream like this... it's just the way you put it....
Well, I did write it down within minutes of waking up. So it was still vivid in my mind. Then again, I'm rarely that motivated to write down a dream, so maybe it says something.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraH View Post
I recently had a dream about a Mac Pro announcement. Then when I woke up and wondered why nobody on the net was talking about it. Gee, could I be any more anxious to hear Apple saying something?
Aha! There are two weird people in this thread. It's not just me! I'm not an isolated case!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:30 PM   #17
needfx
macrumors 68030

I would call that a nightware
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Jynto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
And OP, you might want to go out and hit the dating scene.
Even the MacRumors forum is telling me to get out more. That must be a sign of something.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
OP. I understand how you feel. Click here and go outdoors for your salvation!
Does OutDoors support OS X 10.6?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
I would call that a nightware
Note to self - excellent name for a band. No wait, maybe it's not.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:38 PM   #19
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraH View Post
I very rarely have tech-related dreams but I had a Mac Pro announcement one a few weeks ago.

The new MP will have a similar form factor to the current one (including retaining the optical drive). There will also be a smaller one, in a white case with rounded edges, called Q-Pi (I have no idea where that name came from!)

Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynto View Post
Aha! There are two weird people in this thread. It's not just me! I'm not an isolated case!
It's called folie a deux...are you sure you guys aren't related??
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:49 PM   #21
needfx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
It's called folie a deux...are you sure you guys aren't related??
I thought you were retired..!

Last edited by needfx; Apr 21, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
I thought you were retired..!
From your lips...

Unless I win the lottery, ain't gonna happen. The market crash took care of my very meager investments.

See, even shrinks whine to other people!!

And even if I were retired, I still get to use silly shrink talk!!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion