Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
After nearly three years on the site I deleted my account! Nothing much else to say about it besides that I was tired of all the (To be honest) and 'like' whores who kept popping up everyday. Kind of reminded me of Myspace. Anyways now to start focusing more on my actual life instead of the virtual one.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
After nearly three years on the site I deleted my account! Nothing much else to say about it besides that I was tired of all the (To be honest) and 'like' whores who kept popping up everyday. Kind of reminded me of Myspace. Anyways now to start focusing more on my actual life instead of the virtual one.

you will be amazed at how much time you have now that you don't have a facebook.

see if you can keep off of it for 2 weeks.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Good for you. Facebook is such a time waster and it only makes me angry to look at what's on there.

Unfortunately, your account is just hidden (I'm sure you know this), and cannot actually be deleted.

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
I don't think I'm far behind you. I have 900+ "Facebook" friends. Out of those, 20ish may be true friends.I know them all, but could careless about what they are doing. It's becoming a waste of time.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
Good for you. Facebook is such a time waster and it only makes me angry to look at what's on there.

Unfortunately, your account is just hidden (I'm sure you know this), and cannot actually be deleted.

Actually your wrong. Theres an option to delete your fb (diff from deactivation).

After you delete you cant login for two weeks or else your account will be reinstated.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Lucky you, I was thinking of deleting my account for the second time, I never add a friend anyway and I hardly open it. I did a week or so ago and I really hate receiving welcome back and notification mails I receive since then.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have a FB account mostly because I have some friends who communicate almost exclusively through FB. Mostly I find it pretty lame and spend almost no time on it. I definitely wouldn't miss my account if I deleted it, though I may lose communications with a friend or two that can't seem to figure out how to communicate outside of FB.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
i really just use fb as an email account... it would cause me to lose contact with quite a few people if i didn't use it... not to mention it makes a great rolodex to keep people on my list in case they ever go somewhere in the world haha

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
i really just use fb as an email account... it would cause me to lose contact with quite a few people if i didn't use it... not to mention it makes a great rolodex to keep people on my list in case they ever go somewhere in the world haha

I agree. There is a lot of Facebook hate on here, but whether people want to admit it or not, social networking is the way of the future and it's not going anywhere. Facebook has so many legit uses, such as the ones you listed. Just last month, my sister finally found her old best friend who she lost contact with 17 years ago and they've been talking non stop ever since. It's a very powerful and useful tool. If you don't have the self control to not waste your entire day on Facebook, it's your own fault, not facebook's. I can honestly say i don't spend more than 10 minutes a day on there, some days i don't even look at it at all. But i just can't see myself deleting it anytime in the near future. I have absolutely no reason to, it's all positive and no negative for me. Facebook can only be what you let it be, and if it's become a negative thing in your life, it's because you let that happen.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I agree. There is a lot of Facebook hate on here, but whether people want to admit it or not, social networking is the way of the future and it's not going anywhere. Facebook has so many legit uses, such as the ones you listed. Just last month, my sister finally found her old best friend who she lost contact with 17 years ago and they've been talking non stop ever since. It's a very powerful and useful tool. If you don't have the self control to not waste your entire day on Facebook, it's your own fault, not facebook's. I can honestly say i don't spend more than 10 minutes a day on there, some days i don't even look at it at all. But i just can't see myself deleting it anytime in the near future. I have absolutely no reason to, it's all positive and no negative for me. Facebook can only be what you let it be, and if it's become a negative thing in your life, it's because you let that happen.

My thought exactly. I have Facebook simply as another form of contact (like a phone number or email address). I barely post things, and when I do they are for a good reason. It's a good way for me to keep in touch with my old friends around the world. Other than that, I never really go on Facebook any more.

BTW, congrats on your new tattoo.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Exactly. I use it to keep in touch with friends who are all over the world. I spent seven years touring with numerous family and theatrical entertainment shows. You make a lot of friends on these tours. No, they aren't the people you talk to every day, but it's still fun to keep in touch and see what they are up to these days. And it's much easier using Facebook than individually contacting everyone a few times a month to see what's going on.

If your life is based solely in your hometown, with all your friends right there, then maybe it's not as useful. Certainly not a waste of time for me.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Am I the only person on the world who likes Facebook and doesn't feel like they hate it and have to break an addiction from it?

I don't see anything wrong with it. It kills a bit of time and is kinda fun sometimes. Oh, and I don't see how someone can become addicted to it, it does get boring after 10-15 mins or so.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I am a relatively new Facebook user.

For me it is no more than a way to catchup again with long "lost" friends all around the globe.
My Friends list only include people I actually know well enough that I'd want to spend the time of day with – which makes it a list of about 40 people. :eek:

But for day to day communications I use my phone or email… or even better meeting up in person.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use FB to keep in touch with friends and family that are not in close proximity. Like anything you can go overboard.

People can make the same accusation with MacRumors being a waste of time. Too much of anything is generally not a good thing. I use facebook and it serves a need but I've never played any of the games, I don't go around "liking" pages or what not.

In moderation FaceBook is benign in my opinion

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It is cool to be the rebel hater of anything that achieves popularity
It gives the sense of being an independent thinker, someone who doesn't follow the crowd

Facebook is neither good or bad in itself, it is just a tool like any other
It is how you use it that makes it what it is in your life

Timewaster? It is the user who wastes the time, not FB
Too many friends you don't know? They don't get added automagically
Too much drama, garbage, etc? Perhaps you should make better friends

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I Haven't Been On

The site for ages....Turned off all the alerts etc. May as well delete it I guess....My real friends and I use FT to chat to each other....We are a pretty far flung bunch, many in NZ, Australia back home in the states etc.

One by one, they have come over to :apple: devices and it beats the C**** out of the wasters and wannabe "friends" on FB

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I limit my FB friends list to 200 people. Yes, I know I don't have 200 friends in real life, but it allows me to keep in touch with my "real" friends (mind you, I live half the world away from where I was born and raised....), and some people I consider "close acquaintances".

I don't play FB games, and I don't "LIKE" much. I use it to check out my friends' photos from their vacations, family, birthday events that I've missed, and events that I attended. If I didn't have a FaceBook account, I would have missed out on a lot of photos of friends that I rarely get to see. Yes, you could still email each other, but people post their photos on FaceBook now.

Heck, I was just looking through a friend's photos. She lives in Hong Kong. I live 12 hours away.

I don't get the hate. :confused: Not being a part of social networking may be OK for you, but I feel that people are either closing their FB accounts because they have no time management skills or self control, or because they enjoy disliking something that's popular. If it bothers you that other people waste their own time on FB, then you're a sad individual anyway.

Rebel all you want. Delete the FaceBook account, throw away that smartphone, and perhaps delete email as well. Why not. I'm absolutely certain that most things are still do-able via more traditional methods.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have a friend who deleted his Facebook account last year. He signed up for Google+ though when it arrived. Seems stupid.. he said he liked Google+ because it wasn't overly popular. But that's what makes a social networking site work, when everyone you know uses it.

Facebook has its disadvantages (privacy, obsession etc), but those are outweighed by the advantages (and those are what I use Facebook for):
- Creating events and being able to get an idea of how many friends are attending
- Being able to easily update people on a particular event
- Being able to send a group message to people to arrange something (i.e. round of golf)
- Uploading photos of an event and sharing those as well as seeing other people's photos of a particular event
- A contact method for old friends that would be impossible to track down otherwise
- Status updates that are worthy of being read (such as: 'spare ticket to a show' etc).

Facebook's usefulness and how elegant it is largely depends on who you are friends with. I've removed a whole bunch of people I don't talk to, and among those were girls I knew from high school who still haven't grown up (I'm 23) and post attention seeking updates. It's really only my good friends that I have on Facebook.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Am I the only person on the world who likes Facebook and doesn't feel like they hate it and have to break an addiction from it?

I don't see anything wrong with it. It kills a bit of time and is kinda fun sometimes. Oh, and I don't see how someone can become addicted to it, it does get boring after 10-15 mins or so.

I use it, I may spend a total of 10 minutes a day on it. Like you said, if you're wasting too much time on it, is it really Facebook's fault, or your own?

I also keep my list of friends reasonably small. I wouldn't be able (or want) to keep up with a few hundred people.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I also keep my list of friends reasonably small. I wouldn't be able (or want) to keep up with a few hundred people.

Facebook decides who to cover in your News Feed now anyway. Not sure how their algorithm works..

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I got tired of Facebook's endless time wasting and privacy intruding a year or two back. I just locked down my settings as much as I could, and stopped logging in.

I can't really see any point in deleting my profile there. There are some people I'm linked to who I want to stay in touch with - but I don't need to talk to them regularly. I think of Facebook more as 'antisocial networking' - I can stay in contact without actually speaking to them!!

I get an email if anyone has messaged me - and I will log back in to reply, but that's about it. There's no private information on there that I'm really bothered about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.