Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:01 AM   #1
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

How do we know iPhone using WiFi or 3G data?

Got a simple question. How do we know if iPhone is using WiFi connection and not 3G if both are present?

Does iPhone automatically override any 3G data service whenever WiFi is present? Or are there any specific services (apart from SMS/MMS) that being forced using 3G connection?

I prefer not turning off Cellular Data, if that's possible.

Thank you
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Big D 51
macrumors 6502a

Yes, wifi will override 3G when possible. If your phone is in 3G, it will
have "3G" written in top task bar near your signal or the wifi signal when on wifi. I would post pics, but I'm using tapatalk on iPhone so not so easy.

To turn off cellular data on ios5: Settings > general > network
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:14 AM   #3
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
Got a simple question. How do we know if iPhone is using WiFi connection and not 3G if both are present?
The data status indicator at the top of the screen will tell you if your phone is currently using 3G or Wi-Fi (see attachments).

Quote:
Does iPhone automatically override any 3G data service whenever WiFi is present?
Yes, as far as i know.

Quote:
Or are there any specific services (apart from SMS/MMS) that being forced using 3G connection?

I prefer not turning off Cellular Data, if that's possible.

Thank you
Not that I know of, but I could be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone3g.PNG
Views:	402
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	315241   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphonewifi.PNG
Views:	408
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	315242  
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:14 AM   #4
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Visual Voicemail is another example of when an iPhone will utilize 3G for data, even when connected to Wifi.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:17 AM   #5
bmms8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Visual Voicemail is another example of when an iPhone will utilize 3G for data, even when connected to Wifi.
i believe imessage also uses data rather than wifi (something i dreadfully hate)
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:17 AM   #6
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Doesn't really answer your question, but I'll post this I found anyway:

Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:15 AM   #7
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmms8 View Post
i believe imessage also uses data rather than wifi (something i dreadfully hate)
Doesn't appear to... I was able to send an iMessage with "Cellular Data" turned off.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
nah, i send plenty of imessages on wifi! plus, if it needed 3G all those nice ipad and ipod touches wouldn't be able to imessage
iphone1105 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:46 AM   #9
bmms8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanfranklin View Post
Doesn't appear to... I was able to send an iMessage with "Cellular Data" turned off.
Youre right, but what i am saying is that imessage uses data before it uses wifi to send imessages. anandtech confirmed this iirc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
nah, i send plenty of imessages on wifi! plus, if it needed 3G all those nice ipad and ipod touches wouldn't be able to imessage
i think we are talking about a couple different things. what i meant to say was that if you have data on, and wifi on, the iphone sends imessages with your data connection rather than using data.

for me, its no fun as i live in an edge area and sending pics takes a while even though imessage
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:54 AM   #10
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

well some of you guys are correct. However, I have this carrier here in nam that charge you data even tho you on wifi, and they SAY that they can't do anything about it since it's the iphone controlling that matter! Thoughts?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover
well some of you guys are correct. However, I have this carrier here in nam that charge you data even tho you on wifi, and they SAY that they can't do anything about it since it's the iphone controlling that matter! Thoughts?
Turn cellular data off if it's an issue!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:06 PM   #12
Juggie305
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
true but it seems that i dont get any imesssages unless 3g is on same with picture text
Juggie305 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 05:57 PM   #13
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Well same thing happened to me when I was traveling abroad. I used a local prepaid SIM, and the I saw my credit keep falling little by little as I browse using WiFi. (Yes of course I checked WiFi is in-range and connected to Internet). And I didn't text, MMS or making any calls then.

But I don't understand why the carrier was charging me over and over again. That's why I asked this question. Do anyone else having this problem? Especially with prepaid SIM?
But truly, even for those who use data plan, this still annoying because it decreases your quota even while I'm using WiFi.

Thank you for all kind responses. I guess there's no other way but turning off Cellular Data, huh? .. Well it's preferable to keep this data flow automatic, but if carrier still charging me my credit/quota while I'm on Wi-Fi, I better not take chances.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:46 PM   #14
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Turn cellular data off if it's an issue!
of course that's wat I did rite after questioning them where were my credits from my prepaid sim.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 08:24 PM   #15
openendstraight
macrumors regular

Quote:
for me, its no fun as i live in an edge area and sending pics takes a while even though imessage
There is a solution for your slow edge sending pics if you are near wifi. Just turn on Airplane mode, and then turn wifi back on. When you first go into text app, it will tell you that you need cellular data or wifi. Just hit cancel and proceed as normal.

If you are not around wifi, then sorry about your crap cellular area.
openendstraight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 08:35 PM   #16
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

iMessage uses wifi too. Thus, iPad and iPod Touches can text. If you're on 3G, iMessage will use 3G. If you're on wifi, iMessage uses wifi.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:49 AM   #17
yezza
macrumors regular

As a side note, Dataman is a great app for logging data usage. It splits it into wifi/3G. It's very interesting (and rather concerning) to see which actions transmit data, and how much. Btw, Dataman doesn't tell you which app is transmitting the data, but you can test apps data transfer
yourself by using the Dataman log.
yezza is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone