Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Massive iPhone Dock Pumps Out Sound With 10,000 Watts of Power

Behringer, a maker of professional audio and music equipment, is launching the world's loudest -- and largest -- iPhone dock. The iNuke Boom is 4 feet tall, 8 feet wide, weighs 700 pounds, and costs $29,999.

The product is real, though the only model in existence will be at Behringer's booth at CES as an attention grabber.

Behringer is using the iNuke to promote its new Eurosound line of consumer products, which will be introduced at CES 2012.

Article Link: Massive iPhone Dock Pumps Out Sound With 10,000 Watts of Power
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:26 PM   #2
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
No word if it goes to 11.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:29 PM   #3
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Don't think my flatmates would be too pleased if I got one of these
MasterHowl is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Behringer, a maker of professional audio and music equipment
I don't quite agree with this...
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:30 PM   #5
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Waloshin could use one of these to play him narrating his blog for the neighborhood.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:31 PM   #6
the-oz-man
macrumors 6502

I didn't realize it was April 1st already.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:32 PM   #7
imahawki
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
What part don't you agree with. Behringer is a pro-audio equipment company. If you're going to dissect the word professional or have some commentary on the quality of their gear or a personal experience... lame.
imahawki is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Who's going to purchase this? 10,000 watts is an overkill. :roll eyes: $29,999 is slightly out of most people's budget.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:36 PM   #9
Spyriadon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post
What part don't you agree with. Behringer is a pro-audio equipment company. If you're going to dissect the word professional or have some commentary on the quality of their gear or a personal experience... lame.
Have you used any of there gear?
Its on two ends of the spectrum, most of it is shoddy and hardly gets by, its all entry level stuff.

Then theres the occasional good product from them that tends to be a rip off of another companies bit of gear.
27" iMac early 2011 4GB RAM. 2.7GHZ i5
Spyriadon is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:37 PM   #10
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Who's going to purchase this? 10,000 watts is an overkill. :roll eyes: $29,999 is slightly out of most people's budget.
It's not an actual product. It's essentially a tech demo for promotion. Kind of how TV makers show 100 inch TVs but never actually sell them.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:46 PM   #11
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You're right, I should've added more than a simple disagreement: everything I've used of theirs has been crap. Total crap. And yes, I do consider myself a bit of a gear snob. I won't hide that fact. I personally don't consider their gear "professional". Maybe pro-sumer at best but not professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyriadon View Post
Have you used any of there gear?
Its on two ends of the spectrum, most of it is shoddy and hardly gets by, its all entry level stuff.

Then theres the occasional good product from them that tends to be a rip off of another companies bit of gear.
Agreed.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:51 PM   #12
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
I thought it was a pretty clever way to express his disapproval of their equipment and made perfectly clear what he meant. It's not his fault if you're deficient at recognizing figurative language.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:55 PM   #13
macaddict06
macrumors regular

...And not a moment too soon!

I was looking for a new desk anyway, so this works out pretty well for me. I just hope it has audio in so I can plug in my Walkman and kick some tunes.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:55 PM   #14
RMBittner
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I do understand where the OP is coming from. In my experience as a home-studio owner, Behringer makes highly affordable, good gear for home-based recording enthusiasts. It's solid, it's cheap. But I would be *very* surprised to see Behringer gear in any professional recording-studio environment. It's just not at that level.

OTOH, this is clearly just a posting of a Behringer press release, about a one-of-a-kind product for a trade show. Certainly they should be free to describe themselves however they want to in their press releases.

Bob
RMBittner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:57 PM   #15
Vol7ron
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Their gear is horrible. everything i bought of theirs died within a year. 2 mixers, eq, feedback destroyer, compressor. All worthless junk. They are def not a pro audio company. More like a want-abe company....
Vol7ron is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:57 PM   #16
ajones46
macrumors 6502

this would pair well with the $1000 screen saver iPhone App. Remember that one? Look how rich you are, you can afford an app that does nothing!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:02 PM   #17
Rocketman
macrumors 603

On the other hand it got my/your attention. I suspect they would say, "Mission Accomplished."
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:02 PM   #18
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

this is the kind of thing goofball engineers joke about at lunch.

that someone actually did this is a little hilarious and a little awesome.
ThunderSkunk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:05 PM   #19
room237
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How practical!!!
room237 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:09 PM   #20
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
I wonder how many microfarads the filter capacitors are. How many output transistors are there? Did they use a formula to get the 10,000 Watt rating, or find some (say 8Ω if the internal speakers are 8Ω) resistors that could handle 10,000 Watts, inject a 1KHz sine wave, and check for clipping on an oscilloscope?

It could be that BS that Samsung, Sony, and other use in their home theater systems. I'm sorry, but that little amp in that subwoofer has the same change of outputting 1000W as I do. More like 100W total, and 20 watts per channel.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:10 PM   #21
AVChris
macrumors newbie

hmmm.

Its all about SPL and tonality really. Wattage is irrelevant!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:11 PM   #22
charliex5
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
I was just going to post the same thing! Behringer makes the cheapest quality gear I have ever used. I bought one of their compressors once and immediately returned it.

I wonder how long it will take for this hunk of junk to break like all their other equipment.
charliex5 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:14 PM   #23
nagromme
macrumors G5

Angry Thanks for nothing.

This is just like the awesome concept cars at auto shows I want one, everyone wants one, we all need one, but they’ll never actually sell it to the public!

I’ve got a spare room at least 8 feet wide, and I like things that make sounds. But I guess Behringer just wants me to use the space to hoard newspapers Thanks for nothing.

I guess I’ll have to buy another “me-too” under-four-feet-wide iPhone dock.
nagromme is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:16 PM   #24
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The product is real, though the only model in existence will be at Behringer's booth at CES as an attention grabber.
Contradiction. If there's only one, it's not a "product". It's a prototype, or a publicity stunt.

(P.S. To run 10,000 Watts, you'd need to use a 220 Volt circuit with greater than 40 Amps - more than your average electric stove or electric dryer circuit.)

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:22 PM   #25
chainprayer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chainprayer
What they're REALLY showing off in this image is the iPhone micro

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion