Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:57 PM   #1
pilot1226
macrumors 6502a

Exclamation Sprint announces plans to upgrade data capacity and speed.

Got an e-mail from Sprint today with a link into my account... A screen came up to search for network enhancements, so I put in my zip code and there's apparently 3 voice upgrades, 3 data capacity upgrades, and 3 data speed upgrades scheduled for the next 6 months.

Here's the link: https://network.sprint.com/search/07110/

According to Sprint's legend on the network map:

Voice Upgrades impact call clarity and dropped calls.
Data capacity allows faster connections despite more users.
Data speed obviously allows a faster and more CONSISTENT connection speed.

I think this all speaks about 3G. I don't think they're really mentioning the WiMax 4G that they're using since they seem like they're dropping a lot of that in favor of LTE.

Anyway, some optimism for a change. Have seen a lot of posts with bad Sprint speeds, maybe this'll help a bit.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Cool post, I have great coverage at my house and it says my closest tower has another upgrade coming in the next 6 months so cool.
Arnezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Norkusa
macrumors member

Good news but too bad I won't be a Sprint customer 6 months from now when the 11 upgrades are finished in my area. The only time I ever get above 0.1Mbps is 2am. I'm just going to eat the $350 ETF and switch to AT&T.
Norkusa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

This is great to hear for the current Sprint customers. A friend of mine had to get a Sprint since he was locked into a family line and his iPhone upgrade was going to be his Christmas present.

Does this affect CLEARWIRE customers? I always thought they used Sprint's towers.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:18 PM   #5
vitzr
macrumors 68030

I have a friend that is an executive with one of the principle cell phone tower builders. He says that both AT&T and Sprint are have ramped their orders for Q1 & Q2 2012, so that bodes well for both the coverage and quality from these two carriers.
vitzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:30 PM   #6
mikeglongo
macrumors newbie

Glad my home and work area are getting a lot of upgrades, especially my work.
mikeglongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 08:21 PM   #7
pilot1226
macrumors 6502a

It should be worth nothing that it's probably in your best interests to go to your local AT&T or Sprint store, if it's close enough, and try and play around on their demo iPhone and compare data speeds if you're truly considering switching carriers.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:24 PM   #8
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

The problem with "test driving" phones at the carrier's store is that in most cases, the optimal network setup is in place at that those stores using well-sourced backhaul, picocells and repeaters. They want to show that they have a fast network and full bars, and so you can bet that at least inside of the store, they will use all the tools at their disposal to keep the experience optimal within those four walls.

If you evaluating a carrier, the best thing to do is find a friend who has that service and ask them their experiences. If they'll let you, run some speed tests on their phone.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:50 PM   #9
pilot1226
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
The problem with "test driving" phones at the carrier's store is that in most cases, the optimal network setup is in place at that those stores using well-sourced backhaul, picocells and repeaters. They want to show that they have a fast network and full bars, and so you can bet that at least inside of the store, they will use all the tools at their disposal to keep the experience optimal within those four walls.

If you evaluating a carrier, the best thing to do is find a friend who has that service and ask them their experiences. If they'll let you, run some speed tests on their phone.
True. And don't forget if you get home and the service isn't what you expected it to be, most carriers have a return policy. Sprint's used to be 30 days, now down to 14. I'd start the return process no later than day 7 just to be on the safe side. I think I read that AT&T is still 30 days.

Remember kids, LTE technology is right around the corner!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:53 PM   #10
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Good to hear. Sprint needs it. I may consider the switch if they get some decent data speeds.
lordofthereef is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:11 PM   #11
Norkusa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1226 View Post
It should be worth nothing that it's probably in your best interests to go to your local AT&T or Sprint store, if it's close enough, and try and play around on their demo iPhone and compare data speeds if you're truly considering switching carriers.
I did this at the Sprint kiosk in the mall earlier this week. There I was getting around 1.0mpbs. Then I walked to the other side of the mall and was getting 0.10mpbs with a "o" where the 3G indicator should have been.

I've read on the Sprint forums that all the stores have an Airave device set up, which is essentially a mini cell tower with a 50ft range.
Norkusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:10 PM   #12
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkusa View Post

I've read on the Sprint forums that all the stores have an Airave device set up, which is essentially a mini cell tower with a 50ft range.
Many stores are certainly going to have some sort of amplifier, at the very least. No offense to whoever recommended it, but going into a store to test the data speeds of he phones on the cellular network is not going to be a very accurate comparison of real world speeds at all...
lordofthereef is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
data, iphone, speed, sprint