Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:47 PM   #1
TSE
macrumors 68030

Art on the computers

I am in a design program at a major university and I've noticed a lot of kids using design programs and drawing on the computer and tablets over traditional art tools and paper.

While yeah, a lot of their pictures look really good, am I the only one that feels like there is a hidden magic with utilizing the hands?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

I agree- I will always have respect for those that can just use their hands and mind to create something without the help of a computer to alleviate mistakes.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
I am in a design program at a major university and I've noticed a lot of kids using design programs and drawing on the computer and tablets over traditional art tools and paper.

While yeah, a lot of their pictures look really good, am I the only one that feels like there is a hidden magic with utilizing the hands?
Since my father was an artist (wwaaaaayyyy back before computers), I agree.

However, and much to my surprise, I was quite impressed with the work of Joshua Harker employing a 3D printer.

It will never replace the the traditional artist's hands on...but it is interesting.

Take a look...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...utis?ref=email
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
leenak
macrumors 65816

I'm generally a traditionalist but for digital art, the ideas are still of the artist, it is just the medium that has changed.

I like some of it, like things found on this site:
http://www.curious3d.com

But I'm also in awed of people who can create things with their hands and various tools.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:24 PM   #5
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Art takes many forms and there are so many mediums for art to be expressed. Digital art is no less and no more amazing than traditional pen and paper art. It's a different medium, that's all.

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion