Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have an Atv2 and a ps3 right now to stream media. Was streaming a ripped Sony movie today to my ps3 and got a Cinavia water mark so I had to break out my Atv to play the movie. I don't want to have to move my gear around the house all the time if there is a streaming issue. I saw that there is a Sony bluray google tv player and wonder if it is Cinavia protected on this device and if any of you have any opinions of it since Honeycomb released on it. I am able to pick one up for 129 bucks so that is why I am considering the option.

UPDATE: There is a new GoogleTV app called AirTight... it lets you Airplay onto your GoogleTV! I've confirmed there is no Cinavia on any GoogleTV devices too by the way!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/27/airtight-brings-apples-airplay-to-your-google-tv-makes-cuperti/

Last edited:

landscapeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
SW Florida
I would be interested to know as well. I know that Roku so far does not, But I do know that Cinavia is required to have a Blu Ray license on new players. So I would bet that it has this unwanted function. I am wondering if a unit like the Logitech Revue is obscured or not.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I just picked up a Logitech Revue from Amazon.com for 80 bucks... along with the Airtight App you're going to have about 75% of the functionality of an AppleTV (missing music streaming and screen mirroring... for now) and MORE due to GoogleTV's own features!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.