Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following our report from earlier today regarding Apple having discontinued the boxed versions of Logic Studio and Express, Logic Pro 9 and MainStage 2 have now appeared for sale in the Mac App Store.

logic_pro_9_mac_app_store.jpg

Logic Pro [Mac App Store] is priced at $199.99 and arrives as version 9.1.6 in a 413 MB download.
Logic Pro 9 is a complete set of creative tools for any musician who wants to write, record, edit, and mix music. It comes with a massive collection of instruments, effects, and Apple Loops, making it easy to get amazing sounds and create amazing-sounding songs.

Made for musicians
- Get up and rolling fast with production-ready templates and one-step track setup
- Work fast with easy access to all tools and editing areas using a single-window interface
- Enhance your songs with over 15,000 Apple Loops in a wide range of instruments and genres
mainstage_2_mac_app_store.jpg

MainStage [Mac App Store] arrives as a 303 MB version 2.2 priced at $29.99, making for a low-cost add-on for managing live performances.
MainStage 2 lets you take your Mac to the stage with a full-screen live interface, unmatched hardware control, and a massive collection of plug-ins and sounds.

The ultimate live rig
- Perform live with 120 instrument and effect plug-ins or work with your Audio Units plug-ins
- Import settings from Logic Pro and GarageBand to bring your studio sound to the stage
- Combine instruments and live audio, such as keyboard and vocals, in a single patch
- Seamlessly switch between patches without stopping sound output or cutting off held notes
- Design rich keyboard patches using splits and layers
With the release, Apple now offers 17 different applications in the Mac App Store, including OS X Lion itself as well as iLife, iWork, Aperture, Final Cut Pro and now Logic apps.

Article Link: Logic Pro 9 ($199.99) and MainStage 2 ($29.99) Debut in Mac App Store

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I don't use either of these, but I'm sure more people will appreciate it being easily accessible via the App Store.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
That's a huge price break. I'm really loving the pricing available on the Mac App Store. And the fact that you can legally install any purchased app on any and as many computers as you own makes it that much better.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
OMG it's too easy to use and not expensive, so it's not professional enough! :mad:
- professional troll would say

And yeah I am winking at you. ;)

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
When are they going to add the ability to verify a previous purchase from another outlet and give you a redemption code to download the app in the AppStore? I think it sucks that previously purchases software cannot reap the AppStore benefits without being repurchased.

Edit:

I suppose this would be a way of avoiding the 30% cut Apple takes though, but come on!

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any price reduction for upgrades? The upgrade price itself used to be $199. I've been confused about this in general: Does app store purchases = no more upgrading? On one hand, that's cool if the thing keeps being updated. But on the other hand, developers tend to rely on repeat sales via upgrades. I've seen ios apps get rigged into new "Pro" versions to abandon an existing version & existing users who bought-in already. Not happy with that trend & I assume Apple didn't create the App Store policies with that behavior in mind.

testcss

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Usually when a "Pro" app from Apple is in the $200 range, it's clearly intended for amateurs. They need to drop the word "Pro" now.

Yeah. It was pro when it was $500. Now that they reduced the price, it must not be pro even though it is the same product....

tharris0101

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Logic Pro is definitely an app for professionals. There is nothing better out there. This price drop is excellent! Such a great value now.

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
9.1.6 is now available over software update:

This update improves overall stability and addresses some minor issues including the following:

Improved compatibility with full-screen view and Mission Control in OS X Lion
The sample preview option available when importing samples into Ultrabeat now functions correctly
The destination for recorded files is now properly reset to the new Project folder after using "Save As..." command

This update is recommended for all users of Logic Pro 9.

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: Logic Pro Release Notes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2565

turd

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
Usually when a "Pro" app from Apple is in the $200 range, it's clearly intended for amateurs. They need to drop the word "Pro" now.
You have no idea what you're talking about, I switched from ProTools to Logic and have never looked back.

If ProTools reduced their price from $700 to $200 would it have to be called "Tools"?

Mix

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
How can it only be 416mb? There are usually 6 install DVD's. Even without main stage it should definitely be a lot more. Logic usually takes up 50gb when installed with all the samples which I think are around 25gb of the 50gb.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Please tell me you're joking. This is the same Logic Pro 9 that was selling for $500 yesterday. The only thing that has changed is the price drop to $200, availability on the Mac App Store, and the ability to install it on all of your computers for that one low $200 price. This is a Pro app for a steal of a price.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Or Apple wants everyone to use Pro apps. Something can be Pro and not cost the Earth to purchase it. And Apple is trying to prove this. If you can't see how Logic is so intended for Pro users then this App is clearly not for you. Stick with Garageband and you'll be happy.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
You have no idea what you're talking about, I switched from ProTools to Logic and have never looked back.

If ProTools reduced their price from $700 to $200 would it have to be called "Tools"?
That's correct. We all know that it's the price alone that determines the quality of a piece of software :rolleyes:

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica
How can it only be 416mb? There are usually 6 install DVD's. Even without main stage it should definitely be a lot more. Logic usually takes up 50gb when installed with all the samples which I think are around 25gb of the 50gb.

In the App Store description, it says that you can download optional features.

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Extras can be downloaded later

At the end of the "System Requirements" section in the App Store, it says that there is "19GB of optional additional content available via in-app download"

yiswitched

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
Los Angeles

x2 here, no need to me to use pro tools anymore.

One thought that hasn't been discussed is Pro Tools is now $499 and no longer needs Avid Hardware to run. Maybe apple is just going balls out head to head with Avid and this is their sales strategy.

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
the boxed version came with the Jam Packs (actually the set was Logic Studio), I reckon the download version won't come with the Jam Packs, probably why the $209.99 (hate the 99 cent stupidity, make it $210) price compared to the $499 boxed.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I really doubted that they would bring logic pro to the mac app store but I see they've made all the instruments an additional download. That is a lot to download but the price tag is a lot cheaper which is always a good thing for the user :) typing my apple ID will be much nicer than K39D-JGU78......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.