Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Dec 8, 2011, 09:36 PM   #1
garlicipad
macrumors newbie

[SOLVED] Can you tell me the best video conversion software for IPad?

I have many films on my computer and I would like to know if there is a simple, Windows, solution for converting movies to IPad and ITunes friendly format.

It will need to work with a Windows 7 PC and should be fast and easy to use. Also, I do not mind paying for the software if it is excellent at what it does. Thanks for your help and so so happy to be a new IPad owner

p.s. Which is the best file format to change AVI into that will look good on an Ipad?

Last edited by garlicipad; Nov 17, 2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: asking more questions :)
garlicipad is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:05 AM   #2
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicipad View Post
I have many films on my computer and I would like to know if there is a simple, Windows, solution for converting movies to IPad and ITunes friendly format.

It will need to work with a Windows 7 PC and should be fast and easy to use. Also, I do not mind paying for the software if it is excellent at what it does. Thanks for your help and so so happy to be a new IPad owner

p.s. Which is the best file format to change AVI into that will look good on an Ipad?
This subject has been hashed and rehashed.

Try Search

Try Google
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 05:54 AM   #3
garlicipad
macrumors newbie

I guess some people just don't like garlic

But really, there are so many discussed and so many look like junk based on cheesy websites! I was hoping for some personal recommendations and maybe even a top three or five. I know it's noob question
Old Dec 9, 2011, 09:18 AM   #4
number84
macrumors 6502

I like Handbrake
number84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 09:27 AM   #5
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:

If you're going to use Windows I recommend Wondershare. They have a complete set of tools to convert any file format to any other you might need. It has specific settings for iPad and iPhone. I couldn't recommend it any higher.

I think it's called Wondershare converter pro. Sorry I don't have a link handy, but if you Google it you'll find it.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:49 AM   #6
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
But really, there are so many discussed and so many look like junk based on cheesy websites! I was hoping for some personal recommendations and maybe even a top three or five. I know it's noob question
You just need to be better at researching. Learn to corroborate and consider your sources. If you don't care for "cheesy websites" then disregard them. Search this site. If the forum search doesn't work all that well then use a site restricted Google seearch.

If you'd bother to take some initiative you'd find Handbrake (already mentioned in this thread) is frequently recommended. Being a noob isn't a valid excuse. There's a ton of information on this site but you have to take the initiative to make use of it rather than expecting to be spoon fed.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:00 AM   #7
PerplexShyt
Banned

why convert when you can download the many apps that play any movie type?

Azul and oPlayer are a few to name.
PerplexShyt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:09 AM   #8
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Handbreak works well for me.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 09:44 PM   #9
garlicipad
macrumors newbie

trying out Handbrake and it certainly does it's job I guess I just thought a pay version of similar software would convert more quickly, am I wrong?

Also, I did download AirVideo from the app store, does that do the same thing as Azul and oPlayer?

Thanks for your continued help
garlicipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:55 AM   #10
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Quote:
trying out Handbrake and it certainly does it's job I guess I just thought a pay version of similar software would convert more quickly, am I wrong?

Also, I did download AirVideo from the app store, does that do the same thing as Azul and oPlayer?

Thanks for your continued help
How long does it with Handbreak?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:23 AM   #11
garlicipad
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
How long does it with Handbreak?
it takes a very long time
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:44 AM   #12
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
A multicore CPU will get Handbrake running faster. Else you're going to need conversion software that supports your video cards GPU. These tend to have disappointing quality results compared to Handbrake though.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:49 AM   #13
garlicipad
macrumors newbie

I have a 2.5 ghz core 2 duo p9500, should it be fast?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:52 AM   #14
blueroom
macrumors 603

Nope, C2D are average. An i5 is pretty fast.

Best bet is to batch process your movies overnight.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:55 AM   #15
garlicipad
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Nope, C2D are average. An i5 is pretty fast.

Best bet is to batch process your movies overnight.
you make me sad face
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:30 AM   #16
TC25
Banned

Quote:

I never viewed video conversion software as an accessory. Interesting concept. Perhaps we could have more threads in this subforum about software.

Excuse me while I start a thread about iPad screen protectors in the iPad forum.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:57 AM   #17
garlicipad
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
I never viewed video conversion software as an accessory. Interesting concept. Perhaps we could have more threads in this subforum about software.

Excuse me while I start a thread about iPad screen protectors in the iPad forum.
I wish you would just shut your big YAPPER!

Last edited by garlicipad; Dec 10, 2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:45 AM   #18
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
you make me sad face
Sounds more like your computer makes you sad face.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:54 AM   #19
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That tells me nothing. Okay, I have a Windows 7 x64 i7 920 over clocked to 4.0 Ghz quad core processor with 12GB's of RAM. If I choose the iPhone/iPod conversion it takes a few minutes for a 50 minute original video. A two hour movie takes less than an hour. But if I choose to convert to HD version it can take over an hour depending on the length of the video.

There are variables that makes it impossible for me to tell you how long it might take on your computer, but all I can say is that Wondershare is the fastest that I have used and it works beautifully.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:15 PM   #20
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
you make me sad face
Your pc is old, core 2 is old. I5 has been its replacement for a good while now.

I can say this without remorse because I too, am running a Core2 on my main Oc.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:46 PM   #21
mwulf67
macrumors regular

Quote:

Screw converting; been here, done that...do yourself a favor and get the app AVPlayerHD...it can play all your .avi files (and most others)...
mwulf67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:11 PM   #22
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I have a 2.5 ghz core 2 duo p9500, should it be fast?
I use handbrake on my 15" MBP 2.66 C2D and it takes a pretty long time..... This weekend my cousin was staying in my house and brought his i7 MBP I was converting a few movies for him and it was waaaay faster. I am definitely getting the next MBP's that are released.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:21 PM   #23
garlicipad
macrumors newbie

thank you to everyone, mostly, for your advice

I have decided to back away from converting and I am currently testing : Azul, OPlayerHD and AirVideo. I plan to test out AVPlayerHD as another user recently recommended it.

Last edited by garlicipad; Mar 10, 2012 at 05:51 AM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories