Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:03 AM   #1
bellatfrz
macrumors newbie

Red face [PLEASE HELP] Why won't my system preferences recognize my password?

Okay, so i just bought a macbook pro and i want to install adobe flash player. I already download adobe flash player and it's my finder folder. I still need to install it and when I tried to install it, it says I need my username and password. I reckon it meant my apple id, i typed my username and password, but it says it's INCORRECT when I know it's definitely correct.

I tried to go to the system preferences > users & groups > and tried to change my password. But when I typed my password it says IT'S INCORRECT! I've already changed my password twice in the apple id site, but it's still incorrect in my system preferences.

I asked my sister who has a macbook pro and she said she didn't need to use any password or username. What should I do? Now I can't watch any vids or anything that contains flash..
bellatfrz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:08 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatfrz View Post
Okay, so i just bought a macbook pro and i want to install adobe flash player. I already download adobe flash player and it's my finder folder. I still need to install it and when I tried to install it, it says I need my username and password. I reckon it meant my apple id, i typed my username and password, but it says it's INCORRECT when I know it's definitely correct.
The user name it's asking for is not your Apple ID. It's your user name on your computer, which you can find by clicking the  on the left side of your menu bar at the top of your screen, then look at the bottom of the menu where it says "Log Out XXXX", where XXXX is your username. The password is your administrator password which you use to log into your computer or to make certain system modifications or install most apps.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:11 AM   #3
bellatfrz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The user name it's asking for is not your Apple ID. It's your user name on your computer, which you can find by clicking the  on the left side of your menu bar at the top of your screen, then look at the bottom of the menu where it says "Log Out XXXX", where XXXX is your username. The password is your administrator password which you use to log into your computer or to make certain system modifications.
And how should I know my password? Is it in the apple box/documents ?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:12 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
And how should I know my password? Is it in the apple box/documents ?
No, you would have chosen it when you initially turned on your Mac and set it up. It's not a password that Apple provides. It's one that you provide.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:14 AM   #5
bellatfrz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
No, you would have chosen it when you initially turned on your Mac and set it up. It's not a password that Apple provides. It's one that you provide.
Are you sure? Because when I turned on my Mac the first time there isn't any password that I should write.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:16 AM   #6
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Then just type your username in the box with no password if you didn't set one up.
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:18 AM   #7
bellatfrz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
Then just type your username in the box with no password if you didn't set one up.
I /have/ to insert the password to install the adobe flash player. There isn't any choice.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:19 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Are you sure? Because when I turned on my Mac the first time there isn't any password that I should write.
Yes, I'm sure. When you first turn on a new Mac it leads you through the welcome process and asks you to choose your user name and password.

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password
See "Resetting the original administrator account password" in the link above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
You can't use your Mac if you don't have a user account set up.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 07:03 AM   #9
PaulyD
macrumors 6502

Sounds like the OP bought it 2nd hand and the seller didn't format the HDD or something.

GGJstudios is correct in all of this, it is something that would have been created when first setting up the machine and it is different from your Apple ID

Mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro iPhone 5 32GB white iPad 3 32GB white TV 2
PaulyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro