Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calsker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I've searched these forums and various internet searches and haven't been able to find a solution. I'm testing out a new iPhone GPS app (MotionX-GPS Drive) to get rid of my separate Bluetooth-connected Nuvi and so far so good. I have a cable connection that plays the Nav voice guidance and music through my car stereo. The voice guidance ducks the music during navigation. One issue I have is with phone calls. The Nuvi has a relatively good speaker, but if I get rid of that, I'd like to have the phone audio play through the stereo as well. Anyone have a solution/suggestion?

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
GPS help?

I've searched these forums and various internet searches and haven't been able to find a solution. I'm testing out a new iPhone GPS app (MotionX-GPS Drive) to get rid of my separate Bluetooth-connected Nuvi and so far so good. I have a cable connection that plays the Nav voice guidance and music through my car stereo. The voice guidance ducks the music during navigation. One issue I have is with phone calls. The Nuvi has a relatively good speaker, but if I get rid of that, I'd like to have the phone audio play through the stereo as well. Anyone have a solution/suggestion?

Do you have the connecter to play iphone through car audio (cigarette lighter adaptor)? itunes will play on car stereo? Sorry, if i'm not helping. I have the radio adaptor so i can play itunes & take phone calls (phone calls block out music) I have nav. app. but haven't needed it yet. I sounds like my device would work for you unless you were trying to do all three in sync..(not sure), but it was $30; Griffin, itrip adaptor. @Bestbuy. Radio synchronized style thing. Maybe, you already know about it. but i thought i'd try.

calsker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Do you have the connecter to play iphone through car audio (cigarette lighter adaptor)? itunes will play on car stereo? Sorry, if i'm not helping. I have the radio adaptor so i can play itunes & take phone calls (phone calls block out music) I have nav. app. but haven't needed it yet. I sounds like my device would work for you unless you were trying to do all three in sync..(not sure), but it was $30; Griffin, itrip adaptor. @Bestbuy. Radio synchronized style thing. Maybe, you already know about it. but i thought i'd try.

I have this adapter. It allows me to play music and hear the Nav voice guidance through my car stereo. Music and the voice guidance mute when I receive phone calls, I just can't hear the caller's voice through the stereo. It comes out of the iPhone's speaker.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
I have this adapter. It allows me to play music and hear the Nav voice guidance through my car stereo. Music and the voice guidance mute when I receive phone calls, I just can't hear the caller's voice through the stereo. It comes out of the iPhone's speaker.
That's why i said i think you might know...There are microphones to plug in, but still don't make their voice come through speakers i think...I asked this type of question at Bestbuy and it was almost $300 to have it all done. Damn near a Knight Rider set up that i thought i could live without. Best bet is to try a car audio place and get a sure answer. But it is good to try and get hints and tricks on here. What if you changed the channel on both set up's when getting a call?? Not sure..Sorry:confused:

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Best Phone Solution

I have an older 2002 Toyota Camry. It has no AUX input, (so I can't use this) so the only way to get iPhone music to play is to:
  1. FM Transmitter - Which completely sucks since I live in a big city and all of the radio stations overpower any channel I want. Even out in the country I hear an annoying hiss.
  2. Cassette Tape Adapter - Only slightly better than an FM transmitter. However, I can always hear the mechanical motion of the fake cassette reels spinning.

I've seen those dock connectors that fake your radio into thinking it has a CD changer, but after all the research, I'm going to blow $160 and install this:

27393.PNG

I went "showrooming" at the local car audio place. They were going to charge $270. but I bought it from Amazon for $160.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.