Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 27, 2005, 09:40 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

iTunes Visualization Plug-in: xLyric v1b3 Released - It's k...

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: iTunes Visualization Plug-in: xLyric v1b3 Released - It's karaoke time...

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 27, 2005, 10:53 AM   #2
outerspaceapple
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to outerspaceapple
I'm running tiger, and as long as xlyric.bundle is in my /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins folder iTunes won't even start! It bounces for a bit, pretends like its starting, then just stops.

Anybody else get this to work with Tiger?
Cassettes = 42 lbs.
60GB iPod = 6.4 ounces

SquareCaster - Podcast RSS Manager http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19530
outerspaceapple is offline   0
Old May 27, 2005, 01:47 PM   #3
shamino
macrumors 68040

What's the point? You've got to create/download lyric/timing data to go with your CDs.

Now, if somebody can come up with a way to play a CD+G disc in iTunes, that would be incredible. Apple won't release this feature because their drives can't read the CD+G subcodes (as far as I know, only Plextor currently makes drives that can read them) but it's still a feature I'd love to have.

Right now, there is nothing for OS X that can play a CD+G disc. (There is KTunes which can rip them to your hard drive and play the ripped files, but the author has not yet implemented the ability to play the disc without ripping it.)
shamino is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 02:56 AM   #4
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontecorvo
This is incredible!
Actually no, it really isn't. It's a nice start though, and I look forward to what (if anything) comes of it. Til then, I just memorize the words and try to keep up.

I tend to sing with my eyes closed at karaoke anyway. I do loves my karaoke.
Old May 28, 2005, 10:44 AM   #5
suntzu
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
I do loves my karaoke.
Amen, brother. Amen.
suntzu is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 11:11 AM   #6
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
I do loves my karaoke.
Same here.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these to be my next DVD player. Much nicer than those cheap players you find in consumer electronics stores and not much more expensive than a good quality DVD player.
shamino is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 12:58 PM   #7
andrewm
macrumors regular

This is not incredible... yet

I like the idea, even if I have to 'train' it to figure out the words. (What? No voice-recognition algorithm?!) But the product falls short of my hopes in one huge area: it doesn't properly handle international characters.

I went to TextEdit.app and saved several different versions of some French lyrics: Western (Mac OS Roman), Western (ISO Latin 1), Unicode (UTF-8), Unicode (UTF-16). Not one imported, either at all or without garbage where the accented characters were.

This plugin, from a programmer's standpoint, should already be making use of low-level CoreFoundation calls that deal with strings, so I can't quite understand what the problem would be, unless the string stuff is handled with plain C or C++, which should then be changed.
andrewm is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion