Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
64bit Intel Mac. The 32/64 version includes both the 32 and 64 bit versions and is a larger download but would also be fine.

Michael

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
THANKS.

VLC 64 Bit worked. I thought I'd have to covert each movie file to some sort of other file Mac could read. It was effortless.

Any advice on apps I could use to back up movies on a Mac as the program I use on my PC won't work with the MBAir?

Back up movies from where?
Dvds?

If you want to rip DVDs, use Handbrake, also free.
has these nifty profiles on the right side bar, for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, it's great!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
THANKS.

VLC 64 Bit worked. I thought I'd have to covert each movie file to some sort of other file Mac could read. It was effortless.

Any advice on apps I could use to back up movies on a Mac as the program I use on my PC won't work with the MBAir?

Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner? Just an external HD?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Which is user friendly? Handbrake or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Wait, what do you mean by backup?

edit: Ok, i bothered to read the rest of your post. You want to rip your DVDs? RipIt, Handbreak, MacTheRipper...do you want to encode to a particular format or just dump the VOB files? Do you just want to clone an image?

Handbreak can rip/encode sufficiently for my needs...

Last edited:

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
It's just a player.

No, it's not "just a player", see the transcoding CLI and GUI documentation.

However, VLC is more for transcoding streams. If you want to rip DVDs, you could stream a transcoded version of your DVDs to a file but it's not practical.

I recommend HandBrake for that. The best transcoding app. Both CLI and GUI. Available for OS X, Linux and even crappy ol' Windows.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I assume you'll be watching them using Battery while travelling, correct? If so, definitely just use Handbrake to convert your movies to m4v at some lower resolution and use Quicktime. I can watch 480p m4vs with Quicktime for a good 6-7 hours. However, if I start watching 720p mkvs with VLC / mplayerx, the battery is basically cut in half.

bobwooderton

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
Visual distortions in VLC on my new macbook air

Has anyone else encountered visual pixelation/distortion when going into fullscreen mode with VLC? It only occurs during the resizing, after which it is fine.

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
How can I set VLC as my default media player? Quicktime hates almost all my files and constantly right clicking got old fast.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Because VLC sucks. On Windows, you just use a codec pack and a proper video player like Media Player Classic. On OS X, you should be using something like MPlayer OS X Extended. Same for Linux really.

VLC plays all my video formats in both mac and windows, why does it suck?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Actually things on the Mac side are way better than what you know from Windows. There are excellent media players able to play any format and some of them they are so light you can actually play 1080p movies on an older mac laptop. And the most important: They have all the codecs built into the application, no need to bloat your system with bad-quality s/w like windows (i.e. install tens of codecs from unreliable sources in the system=bad idea).

For example, you may start looking at the mac app store for the applications:
mplayerx
movist

The 1st one is free and I use it for just about everything. It's just one click away.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I don't get the rage against VLC. It's fine as a video player. That video is SUCH flame bait and aggressive it's absurd.

Your MacBook Air should be fine with VLC.

Handbrake has some nice presets to encode pre-ripped discs. I'm not sure about ripping, though.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't get the rage against VLC. It's fine as a video player. That video is SUCH flame bait and aggressive it's absurd.

Sure it is, but it's right. Can you counter the facts ? Of course not, VLC sucks, there are better options out there. No need to use the worst video player because :

Your MacBook Air should be fine with VLC.

Sure and I'm just fine eating dry bread and water. Doesn't mean I don't aspire to better.

MplayerX or Mplayer OS X Extended are both superior options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.