VM Ware vs Bootcamp - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:13 AM   #1
kiteflyer
macrumors newbie

VM Ware vs Bootcamp

Since storage space can get tight on the MacAir I was wondering which takes up less hard drive space
1. using VM Ware with windows and removing bootcamp

or

2. using only Bootcamp with windows

On my 13 inch 2010 Air I use bootcamp which works OK for me but if I upgrade to a new 11 inch Air I thought I might just run windows through VM Ware
so I don't have to section of the SSD drive.
kiteflyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2
convergent
macrumors 6502

Bootcamp is going to take more space I'd say.

I switched from VMWare to Parallels 7 when I went to the Air and am very, very happy with it. Its fast, lean, and integrates so well with Lion.
convergent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

I'm not sure about VMware but I know Parallels compresses your Windows virtual machine so that it takes less space than an regular Windows installation on your drive.
pgiguere1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:48 PM   #4
jsolares
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteflyer View Post
Since storage space can get tight on the MacAir I was wondering which takes up less hard drive space
1. using VM Ware with windows and removing bootcamp

or

2. using only Bootcamp with windows

On my 13 inch 2010 Air I use bootcamp which works OK for me but if I upgrade to a new 11 inch Air I thought I might just run windows through VM Ware
so I don't have to section of the SSD drive.
If your partition for bootcamp is almost full, they'll take the same space, if you have a lot of free space vmware would use less space (remember to compress the disk file when you delete large files inside your virtual machine)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
I'm not sure about VMware but I know Parallels compresses your Windows virtual machine so that it takes less space than an regular Windows installation on your drive.
It's not compressing it's just not storing empty space so if you have 20GB out of 40GB used on your virtual disk it'll take ~20GB in OSX and not the full 40GB unless you configure it that way.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air