Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Stallion10
macrumors newbie

Flight Simulator controls - need advice

I am looking to buy flight controls for a friend, and know nothing about this stuff. He is a pilot in real life, and would love the most realistic feel possible.

Who has? And where can I find yoke, throttle, pedals, etc... for a Mac?
I will also be buying him a program, and from what I've read X10 is the way to go. FOllowed closely by FlightSimulator (i think that was it at least).

For a PILOT, which would you recommend?
Again, I need advice on where to find the controls too.
Please answer both questions.
Thanks.
Stallion10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:27 PM   #2
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

I use CH Products. I have their FighterStick and Pro Throttle, but they make Flight Sim Yokes, Throttle Quadrants, pedals, and joysticks for real planes.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/index.html

Store;
http://www.chproducts.com/shop/usb.html

Anyways, I've NEVER had one one fail on me and they're super precise compared to the cheaper sticks. They're plastic, but feel solid to used and as noted are very durable.

I also have a Track IR 5 which tracks my head movement; so for flight sims I can literally look around the cockpit; it works for racing sims also.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/...games-all.html

Depending on the sim, some support 6 degrees of head tracking and it can make a world of difference.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68020

I've had my CH product yoke and pedals for years. Never had a problem.
Mlrollin91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
deadwulfe
macrumors 6502a

Everything I've read about flight sticks, yokes, and any other flight sim related product points to CH Products stuff as being top of the line for prosumers.

As for programs, I've also read that X-Plane is more realistic, control wise, than Flight Simulator X. I'm not a pilot, but I chose X-Plane for that reason. Excluding X-Plane 10, because I haven't tried it, I'd say Flight Simulator X has better graphics than X-Plane 9.

Give your thread some time for more opinions. There was another thread a while back about X-Plane, that you can search for, where actual pilots were chiming in with their thoughts.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:21 PM   #5
dmr727
macrumors G3

I'm a fan of CH Products as well. Well built, silky smooth - I don't think you can go wrong there.

To Stallion10 - there are already some good X-Plane vs. MSFS threads. To sum up my opinion, I think X-Plane has the better flight model, but I also believe that people make too big a deal about that. It seems that a lot of big time simmers like to fly the airliners, and IMO, in that case the flight model is largely irrelevant. Flying an airliner is about managing systems, not flying an airplane. If your buddy is interested in tooling around in a J-3 Cub or a helicopter, I think X-Plane is the way to go. But when it comes to airliners, MSFS has some high end add-ons that I'm not sure X-Plane can match. Avro707 can tell you more in that regard - the stuff he's posted on here is very impressive.

Last edited by dmr727; Dec 11, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
dmr727 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6
QuantumLo0p
macrumors 6502a

I use CH Products as well. I have a stick, yoke and pedals. All work great and have never had a problem with them.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Stallion10
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks to you all. I'd never find this stuff otherwise.

For others... Please keep sharing your feedback. I'm giving this a couple more days before buying, and value all input.
Thanks again.
Stallion10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:31 PM   #8
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

FWIW, MSFS doesn't run on OS X and X-Plane does.

I have played a lot with X-Plane 9, albeit with just a joystick. But as already stated, I only fly airliners, and that is learning to fly using the Auto Pilot so I don't really miss a yoke and/or pedals. Too much bother to install them and remove them when done.
Installing X-Plane is half the work. You need to pay X-Plane.org website a visit.
Installing scenery add-ons, more planes, useful plug ins, etc. make "playing" the X-Plane sim much more fun.

I also own X-Plane 10. The 8 DL DVD's arrived a few days ago, and have started to play around in that too. There are still quite a few bugs, and using the ATC can be frustrating at times.
The grfx are very nice, especially if your hardware can support "HDR" rendering (a new and fast grfx card).
Even though X-Plane 10 is a work in progress, it is the way to go if your Mac can handle it.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:04 PM   #9
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

Does trackir work on the Mac? I saw requests for compatibility on the trackir forums, but maybe it will work by some unofficial drivers?
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games