Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Arzy
macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme and Motorola SBG6580 TWC

So Time Warner came out and installed a Motorola SBG6580 in my home (Docsis 3.0) to allow me to receive their Wideband Internet offering (50 down / 5 up) but i'm having huge problem with how it fits into my network.

I have an Airport Extreme and 2 Airport Expresses. Now the main problem is the Motorola Cable Modem is both a modem and a router. I want it to just act as a modem.

I called TWC and they told me to disable NAPT mode, which puts it into a state where it just acts as a modem. Great, that sounds good.

I went ahead and did that but when I rebooted the whole network it only allowed 1 computer to connect. None of my iPads or iPhones or Xbox could access the network anymore. (My Airport is on Firmware 7.6).

Why is only 1 computer able to access the new network? What am I missing?
Arzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Try following this to put it in bridge mode, then restart the cable modem and your Airport Extreme.
Weaselboy is online now   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Arzy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Try following this to put it in bridge mode, then restart the cable modem and your Airport Extreme.
Thanks, that did the trick.

I also had to make sure my Airport Extreme was set to "Share a Single IP address" instead of "Bridge mode"
Arzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4
jerasmo
macrumors newbie

using the 6580 as router with ae

hi all,

i just purchased and received the sb6580 because i wanted to stop renting the modem from comcast. i figured that i would get the 6580 because it would act as a router and then use one of my newer airport express (ae) as an extender. i have two ae, one which can be used as an extender and one which cannot. the newer one obv can be. for whatever reason when i go to set up the ae with my new modem/router my mac is not finding them. i have already removed the firewall from the 6580 settings but i am not sure why the mac does not find the ae. I see that the first post on here was about using the 6580 solely as a modem so i figured i would i would tag onto this and say that i would like to use the 6580 as the modem/router but also use the ae to extend my network.

thanks for any help.
jerasmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals