|Dec 11, 2011, 11:17 AM||#1|
This drive has a hardware problem and can't be repaired
Hi, My late 2009 iMac is showing the 1tb hdd as "This drive has a hardware problem and can't be repaired" in Disk Utility, I read that I will need to get this replaced ASAP but not sure what one to replace it with.
It is a "1 TB ST31000528ASQ" which I think is this...
but i have also found this one...
which i was going to go for because of the bigger cache but on this site...
It says I cannot use that because " using it will cause excessive hard drive fan usage"
So I am unsure what to do and want to get the right one for it. Can anyone help?
|Dec 11, 2011, 01:08 PM||#2|
You can get any hard drive to replace the Seagate that is having issues. I would check on fan issues though. Maybe a 2TB WD Caviar Black. Only bummer is the price right now for HDD's.
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
|Dec 12, 2011, 07:30 AM||#4|
I saw a video on the net from a Mac repair place that indicated if you buy a drive from the same brand and type (not necessarily the same size) it will use the drives internal temperature sensors and the fan behavior will be fine. If your current Mac has a Seagate XYZ series then get one of that type and you should be ok.
ASB Music Web is at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/
"This is Aliensporebomb" (a soundtrack with no film) is available at http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thi...mb/id391880218
Last edited by aliensporebomb; Dec 12, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
|Dec 12, 2011, 09:32 AM||#6|
Just so you know it's not special firmware but a thermal sensor on the HDD. The Seagate has an additional two wire cable going to it, it can be shorted out with a bit of wire.
You could then mount a Seagate Momentus XT 750 in a 2.5 to 3.5 bracket and give your 2009 iMac a boost in speed.
PS I put a SSD in a 2009 27" and it's quite snappy, note: I only had to unscrew the display and remove a single cable, then I propped the display up at the top about 8" and the HDD removes with only two screws.
|Dec 12, 2011, 09:38 AM||#7|
I did look at the SSD route but I use about 500gb at the moment and it would cost loads for that. I think I'm going to hold out till the new iMac line which should hopefully be out next year.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|'This drive has a hardware problem that can't be repaired'||gavstephenson||iMac||12||Jan 29, 2014 12:42 PM|
|Hardware Problem?||texas crude||Mac Basics and Help||4||May 5, 2013 09:53 PM|
|Hardware problem with display||Agary||MacBook Pro||1||Dec 4, 2012 10:45 PM|
|PowerBook G4 hardware problem?||SCIENTIST29||PowerPC Macs||5||Dec 3, 2012 12:38 PM|
|Hardware Test problem.||macuser1232||MacBook Pro||8||Sep 21, 2012 08:28 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.