Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Azadre
macrumors 6502

at&t upgrade reversal after returning iPhone 4s?

Does anyone have experience for how long it takes for at&t to reflect that you returned your iPhone to an Apple store within the 30 day return period? I tried to go to the at&t store across from the apple store but they refused to help me as the return was not in the system. I just want my upgrade date rolled back and my contract renewal reversed.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2
SweetLou122
macrumors regular

have you tried calling att customer service?
SweetLou122 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Azadre
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou122 View Post
have you tried calling att customer service?
The person on the phone seemed to not really know what was going on. They only said that it hasn't been processed and I should call back in a few days.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:32 PM   #4
nitemare
macrumors regular

it can take up to a week. all i can say is call back in a few days if it hasn't taken effect and find out why and explain to them without yelling or raising your voice or name calling that you returned the iPhone to Apple store.
nitemare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Pipper99
macrumors 65816

I returned a 4s to apple.com, and I called AT&T as soon as apple had received the return at their warehouse, and the rep reset the upgrade right then on the phone. Sometimes it takes calling back until you get a rep who knows what to do.
Pipper99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Pipper99
macrumors 65816

I think that if you'd asked the apple rep who handled your return that they could have called AT&T to have the upgrade reset...possibly. Regardless, it will probably be reset soon.
Pipper99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Azadre
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipper99 View Post
I think that if you'd asked the apple rep who handled your return that they could have called AT&T to have the upgrade reset...possibly. Regardless, it will probably be reset soon.
I called Apple this morning and their response was that once the return was in, if the upgrade had not rolled back to contact AT&T. AT&T says "Call Apple". I feel like I am getting the runaround.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:53 AM   #8
dowork84
macrumors newbie

When I bought my phone using the upgrade the lady was clear to tell me that my upgrade once used can't be returned
dowork84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:59 AM   #9
war eagle
macrumors 6502a

I just went through this with Best Buy. I returned a phone October 2nd and the guy told me it would take 3 days for reversal. Cool, I didn't plan on getting a phone. I had some unfortunate things happen about two weeks ago and needed that upgrade. WEnt into the store to get the 4S and was informed I didn't have an upgrade.

Went to Best Buy, had them print the receipts and such again and told them I needed them to reverse the upgrade. They called AT&T and then gave me the 3 days BS again. Went to AT&T the next day and they told me that I had to go back to the store I got it from and tell them to call in and have the upgraded reversed and that it was an instantaneous process. After trips to two different Best Buys, I returned to the Best Buy I bought it from and demanded a manager. The manager mimicked what AT&T had said and had one of his reps get on the phone with AT&T and I waited about an hour or so but the upgrade was reversed instantly and I got a gift card.

So, you're going to have to go to Apple and have them phone AT&T and tell them they want to reverse an upgrade because you returned the phone. That's going to be the only way. AT&T corporate reps can do it, but they will get in trouble if they do it themselves so they don't.
war eagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Azadre
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by war eagle View Post
I just went through this with Best Buy. I returned a phone October 2nd and the guy told me it would take 3 days for reversal. Cool, I didn't plan on getting a phone. I had some unfortunate things happen about two weeks ago and needed that upgrade. WEnt into the store to get the 4S and was informed I didn't have an upgrade.

Went to Best Buy, had them print the receipts and such again and told them I needed them to reverse the upgrade. They called AT&T and then gave me the 3 days BS again. Went to AT&T the next day and they told me that I had to go back to the store I got it from and tell them to call in and have the upgraded reversed and that it was an instantaneous process. After trips to two different Best Buys, I returned to the Best Buy I bought it from and demanded a manager. The manager mimicked what AT&T had said and had one of his reps get on the phone with AT&T and I waited about an hour or so but the upgrade was reversed instantly and I got a gift card.

So, you're going to have to go to Apple and have them phone AT&T and tell them they want to reverse an upgrade because you returned the phone. That's going to be the only way. AT&T corporate reps can do it, but they will get in trouble if they do it themselves so they don't.
Pretty much this is what happened for me. I am no longer eligible for an upgrade though and my ETF is still a smart phone price even though I returned my 4S. Such is life.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:37 PM   #11
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

You should have received a receipt with the serial number and everything on it. I would raise hell, especially because you are SOL getting a new phone if they don't fix this...
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Azadre
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
You should have received a receipt with the serial number and everything on it. I would raise hell, especially because you are SOL getting a new phone if they don't fix this...
I am quite depressed about it. I've bought a few upgrades and returned them already because I did not like the phone for one reason or another, and now the AT&T store refuses to work with me. Each of these returns cost me $35 as well. I returned my 4S because it was crackling when I made calls so I was going to let my contract roll back and use an unlocked phone until the next iPhone iteration came out. Unfortunately that is not the case.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:06 PM   #13
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadre View Post
I am quite depressed about it. I've bought a few upgrades and returned them already because I did not like the phone for one reason or another, and now the AT&T store refuses to work with me. Each of these returns cost me $35 as well. I returned my 4S because it was crackling when I made calls so I was going to let my contract roll back and use an unlocked phone until the next iPhone iteration came out. Unfortunately that is not the case.
I still wouldn't give up. If everything is as you say it is, AT&T is in the wrong 100%. Hopefully you can show proof of your return. They should not be able to refute this.

As a side note, I too heard crackling when I fist got the phone. Haven't heard it for a few weeks now. I have about 32 hours of talk time on the phone thus far.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:16 PM   #14
staccato83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Honestly, you need to keep trying. I, too, returned a 4S to the Apple store recently and was assured by the retail associate that my upgrade would be reversed. Well, that wasn't the case.

I called AT&T and they blamed it on Apple. I called Apple and they blamed it on AT&T. Finally, after multiple phone calls and two weeks of time passing I returned to the Apple store where I purchased the phone. I asked for a manager and politely explained my situation. She called AT&T and stated that I returned the phone and gave them the IMEI number and Serial number. Then she said "all done." Like a boss.

Twenty minutes later I received a text from AT&T stating "upgrade reversal in progress." The following morning I dialed *639# and BAM! Upgrade reversed.

So, definitely return to the Apple store where you purchased the phone and bring your purchase receipt and return receipt. Be nice, remain calm and your upgrade will be reversed.
staccato83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Azadre
macrumors 6502

I spoke with at&t for almost a half hour, and the representative at the end said I need to force Apple to call AT&T to report I had indeed returned the phone. FML.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:47 PM   #16
Azadre
macrumors 6502

I managed to get the Apple manager on the line with AT&T and it was evident they were on different pages. The manager has escalated the case within Apple and I will known more later. So many hoops.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:59 PM   #17
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
I managed to get the Apple manager on the line with AT&T and it was evident they were on different pages. The manager has escalated the case within Apple and I will known more later. So many hoops.
Glad you are making progress.

Off topic: I'll add that (as you found out) returns take more time than purchases. I'm sure there's a reason why but it chaps me that you can buy something and they check your credit and charge you instantly, but to get your money back it takes days or weeks.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone