Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Azadre
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
at&t upgrade reversal after returning iPhone 4s?

Does anyone have experience for how long it takes for at&t to reflect that you returned your iPhone to an Apple store within the 30 day return period? I tried to go to the at&t store across from the apple store but they refused to help me as the return was not in the system. I just want my upgrade date rolled back and my contract renewal reversed.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2
SweetLou122
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
have you tried calling att customer service?
SweetLou122 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Azadre
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou122 View Post
have you tried calling att customer service?
The person on the phone seemed to not really know what was going on. They only said that it hasn't been processed and I should call back in a few days.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:32 PM   #4
nitemare
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
it can take up to a week. all i can say is call back in a few days if it hasn't taken effect and find out why and explain to them without yelling or raising your voice or name calling that you returned the iPhone to Apple store.
nitemare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Pipper99
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
I returned a 4s to apple.com, and I called AT&T as soon as apple had received the return at their warehouse, and the rep reset the upgrade right then on the phone. Sometimes it takes calling back until you get a rep who knows what to do.
Pipper99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Pipper99
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
I think that if you'd asked the apple rep who handled your return that they could have called AT&T to have the upgrade reset...possibly. Regardless, it will probably be reset soon.
Pipper99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Azadre
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipper99 View Post
I think that if you'd asked the apple rep who handled your return that they could have called AT&T to have the upgrade reset...possibly. Regardless, it will probably be reset soon.
I called Apple this morning and their response was that once the return was in, if the upgrade had not rolled back to contact AT&T. AT&T says "Call Apple". I feel like I am getting the runaround.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:53 AM   #8
dowork84
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
When I bought my phone using the upgrade the lady was clear to tell me that my upgrade once used can't be returned
dowork84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:59 AM   #9
war eagle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I just went through this with Best Buy. I returned a phone October 2nd and the guy told me it would take 3 days for reversal. Cool, I didn't plan on getting a phone. I had some unfortunate things happen about two weeks ago and needed that upgrade. WEnt into the store to get the 4S and was informed I didn't have an upgrade.

Went to Best Buy, had them print the receipts and such again and told them I needed them to reverse the upgrade. They called AT&T and then gave me the 3 days BS again. Went to AT&T the next day and they told me that I had to go back to the store I got it from and tell them to call in and have the upgraded reversed and that it was an instantaneous process. After trips to two different Best Buys, I returned to the Best Buy I bought it from and demanded a manager. The manager mimicked what AT&T had said and had one of his reps get on the phone with AT&T and I waited about an hour or so but the upgrade was reversed instantly and I got a gift card.

So, you're going to have to go to Apple and have them phone AT&T and tell them they want to reverse an upgrade because you returned the phone. That's going to be the only way. AT&T corporate reps can do it, but they will get in trouble if they do it themselves so they don't.
war eagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Azadre
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by war eagle View Post
I just went through this with Best Buy. I returned a phone October 2nd and the guy told me it would take 3 days for reversal. Cool, I didn't plan on getting a phone. I had some unfortunate things happen about two weeks ago and needed that upgrade. WEnt into the store to get the 4S and was informed I didn't have an upgrade.

Went to Best Buy, had them print the receipts and such again and told them I needed them to reverse the upgrade. They called AT&T and then gave me the 3 days BS again. Went to AT&T the next day and they told me that I had to go back to the store I got it from and tell them to call in and have the upgraded reversed and that it was an instantaneous process. After trips to two different Best Buys, I returned to the Best Buy I bought it from and demanded a manager. The manager mimicked what AT&T had said and had one of his reps get on the phone with AT&T and I waited about an hour or so but the upgrade was reversed instantly and I got a gift card.

So, you're going to have to go to Apple and have them phone AT&T and tell them they want to reverse an upgrade because you returned the phone. That's going to be the only way. AT&T corporate reps can do it, but they will get in trouble if they do it themselves so they don't.
Pretty much this is what happened for me. I am no longer eligible for an upgrade though and my ETF is still a smart phone price even though I returned my 4S. Such is life.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:37 PM   #11
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
You should have received a receipt with the serial number and everything on it. I would raise hell, especially because you are SOL getting a new phone if they don't fix this...
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Azadre
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
You should have received a receipt with the serial number and everything on it. I would raise hell, especially because you are SOL getting a new phone if they don't fix this...
I am quite depressed about it. I've bought a few upgrades and returned them already because I did not like the phone for one reason or another, and now the AT&T store refuses to work with me. Each of these returns cost me $35 as well. I returned my 4S because it was crackling when I made calls so I was going to let my contract roll back and use an unlocked phone until the next iPhone iteration came out. Unfortunately that is not the case.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:06 PM   #13
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadre View Post
I am quite depressed about it. I've bought a few upgrades and returned them already because I did not like the phone for one reason or another, and now the AT&T store refuses to work with me. Each of these returns cost me $35 as well. I returned my 4S because it was crackling when I made calls so I was going to let my contract roll back and use an unlocked phone until the next iPhone iteration came out. Unfortunately that is not the case.
I still wouldn't give up. If everything is as you say it is, AT&T is in the wrong 100%. Hopefully you can show proof of your return. They should not be able to refute this.

As a side note, I too heard crackling when I fist got the phone. Haven't heard it for a few weeks now. I have about 32 hours of talk time on the phone thus far.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:16 PM   #14
staccato83
macrumors 6502a
 
staccato83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadre View Post
I am quite depressed about it. I've bought a few upgrades and returned them already because I did not like the phone for one reason or another, and now the AT&T store refuses to work with me. Each of these returns cost me $35 as well. I returned my 4S because it was crackling when I made calls so I was going to let my contract roll back and use an unlocked phone until the next iPhone iteration came out. Unfortunately that is not the case.
Honestly, you need to keep trying. I, too, returned a 4S to the Apple store recently and was assured by the retail associate that my upgrade would be reversed. Well, that wasn't the case.

I called AT&T and they blamed it on Apple. I called Apple and they blamed it on AT&T. Finally, after multiple phone calls and two weeks of time passing I returned to the Apple store where I purchased the phone. I asked for a manager and politely explained my situation. She called AT&T and stated that I returned the phone and gave them the IMEI number and Serial number. Then she said "all done." Like a boss.

Twenty minutes later I received a text from AT&T stating "upgrade reversal in progress." The following morning I dialed *639# and BAM! Upgrade reversed.

So, definitely return to the Apple store where you purchased the phone and bring your purchase receipt and return receipt. Be nice, remain calm and your upgrade will be reversed.
staccato83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Azadre
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
I spoke with at&t for almost a half hour, and the representative at the end said I need to force Apple to call AT&T to report I had indeed returned the phone. FML.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:47 PM   #16
Azadre
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
I managed to get the Apple manager on the line with AT&T and it was evident they were on different pages. The manager has escalated the case within Apple and I will known more later. So many hoops.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:59 PM   #17
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadre View Post
I managed to get the Apple manager on the line with AT&T and it was evident they were on different pages. The manager has escalated the case within Apple and I will known more later. So many hoops.
Glad you are making progress.

Off topic: I'll add that (as you found out) returns take more time than purchases. I'm sure there's a reason why but it chaps me that you can buy something and they check your credit and charge you instantly, but to get your money back it takes days or weeks.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AT&T Upgrade Eligibility Reversal/Reset SteefJop iPhone 5 Nov 9, 2012 03:41 AM
Return to Apple.com and AT&T Upgrade Eligibility Reversal ziffies iPhone 0 Nov 2, 2012 05:59 AM
iPhone 5 Return > Contact Reversal sjsutton iPhone 1 Oct 12, 2012 04:08 PM
Anyone have experience returning iPhone 5 to AT&T? acarney iPhone 0 Oct 4, 2012 04:14 PM
Upgrade Reversal nfrs2000 iPhone 6 Sep 20, 2012 06:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC