Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 27, 2005, 09:34 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Radio Must Change. Here's How

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Radio Must Change. Here's How

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 03:29 AM   #2
Kagetenshi
macrumors 6502

Them's some pretty inaccurate statements there. "Radio hasn't changed"?!? Radio has changed a lot, and for the most part not for the better. We've seen the fall and for the most part death of the radio drama, the rape and corruption of what could once be called with a straight face radio comedy, and the rise of the insipid wasteland that is the vast majority of talk radio. We've also seen specialization of radio stations—doing music and news and radio drama was once the norm, now it's a rarity if not a totally extinct practice.

Radio may need to change for the better, but it's been busy changing quite a bit.

~J
Old May 28, 2005, 06:27 AM   #3
crenz
macrumors 6502a

Okay, this is a bit mean, but I can't resist . I found this quote to be very “US American”:

Quote:
I have a broadband connection and can stream stations from pretty much anywhere in the world. I live in New York but listen to shows from Los Angeles and Oregon.
Apart from that, I have to agree with Kagetenshi. I almost never listen to radio. Even when driving in the car, if I forget to bring my own music, I usually prefer to listen to nothing rather than the radio.

I never tried podcasts, but maybe they have the potential to bring back the niche programs that are missing in today's Top-40-oriented radio.
crenz is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 01:18 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5

Here in the benighted US I have three different public radio stations to choose from, sometimes four. Commercial free, non-top-40. I can hear alternative rock 24 hours a day, classical, folk, and news including the BBC. I need never touch commercial radio. And I'm not even in a major city. Life is good! (Yes, I'm aware that the Bush administration has been going after and censoring public broadcasting, up to and including the News Hour. Scary--but I don't think people will stand for it in the end.)
nagromme is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 01:46 PM   #5
NOV
macrumors 6502

it's often a question of personal taste and habits.

In offices lots of people (from let's say 30 and up) tune in to the stations they have been listening to for decades. They don't seem to mind to listen to those same old boring songs and irritating dj's over and over again...
In the Netherlands we recently had a redistribution and resale of FM freqs.
Merely the guys with the big bucks own now all FM freqs (with bad programming).
I think that people under 20 hardly ever listen to radio programs, but are much more "web based" in discovering music of their liking.

But always keep at least 1 radio (preferably with batteries) ....it might be useful in case of terrible accidents

Music website
NOV is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 02:05 PM   #6
doumbek
macrumors member

Location: Down in the park....heading towards Zom-Zom's for a bite to eat
I'm with nagromme on this one

I almost always listen to NPR (National Public Radio) or commercial free college radio. I grew up with radio , and for me it's my primary form of entertainment. But, sadly enough the commercial stations just do not cut it. I hate the DJ's, I hate the commercials, and most of the programing sucks.

Public radio is in fact the only place where I feel that I can get complete, and mostly unbiased news coverage anymore. PBS news is OK, but I still find that NPR and Pacifica are by far the best out there. And for music, I tend to have eclectic tastes which are best served by the free form college airwaves.

Broadcast radio isn't dead. It's just hiding on some of the more obscure portions of the dial. While I have to admit that I do listen to Air America, and a few specialty internet stations, they will probably won't replace that feeling I get while driving cross country and finding a cool little station that no one would have thought existed.

P.S. Long live all of those crazy bastards broadcasting without a license.
Viva Pirate Radio!
doumbek is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 02:26 PM   #7
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

I listen in the car, mostly. CBC One (public radio, finally with a station in Victoria after decades of listening to Vancouver news and events), and if that gets talking endlessly about politics, a local independent rock station with real dj's and an irreverent attitude - good, not homogenized.
CanadaRAM is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 10:36 PM   #8
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
Quote:
Originally Posted by doumbek
I almost always listen to NPR (National Public Radio) or commercial free college radio. I grew up with radio , and for me it's my primary form of entertainment. But, sadly enough the commercial stations just do not cut it. I hate the DJ's, I hate the commercials, and most of the programing sucks.

Public radio is in fact the only place where I feel that I can get complete, and mostly unbiased news coverage anymore. PBS news is OK, but I still find that NPR and Pacifica are by far the best out there. And for music, I tend to have eclectic tastes which are best served by the free form college airwaves.

Broadcast radio isn't dead. It's just hiding on some of the more obscure portions of the dial. While I have to admit that I do listen to Air America, and a few specialty internet stations, they will probably won't replace that feeling I get while driving cross country and finding a cool little station that no one would have thought existed.
NPR, Pacifica, and Air America? You really need to be more open minded.
macnulty is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 10:50 PM   #9
Kagetenshi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnulty
NPR, Pacifica, and Air America? You really need to be more open minded.
Good job there on the flamebait.

~J
Old May 29, 2005, 09:20 AM   #10
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenz
Okay, this is a bit mean, but I can't resist . I found this quote to be very “US American”:
Only if you take it as such. He *can* listen to radio any where in the world, but he *does* listen to ones in LA.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:15 AM   #11
iindigo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iindigo
To tell you the truth I really wouldn't even care if a radio wasn't included in my car, I find my iPod or iTunes to do the job much, much better. No commercials, no DJs, none of the songs I don't like, and all at full quality .

The way I usually discover music is in this order:
1. Seeing its video on the VH1 Mega Hits channel (MTV sucks for air... majorly)
2. Hearing someone else play it
3. Someone telling me about a song
4. Exploring iTMS

And for weather I just usually check before leaving home, for news I read online at home.

So yeah, it really wouldn't bother me at all if radio just completely died - Long live podcasts!
iindigo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion