Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Madhorsey
macrumors newbie

iPhone4 - Speaker does not work during calls

Hi All

My iPhone 4 has a strange problem. (Ok, to be precise, my girlfriend's iPhone has a strange problem and since I'm the nerd with the skirt in the relationship, I have to do the research!)

When she makes calls on the phone, she can't hear anything. This happens regardless of using ear phone, normal mode or loud speaker mode. However, the sound does come through, when she presses the corners of the phone. This tells me that there is some loose connection somewhere. Funny thing is, the sound on all the other apps works i.e. Skype, music, video etc.

Before anyone recommend me to take it back to iStore, she got the phone from the States and we live in South Africa. iStore doesn't cover the warranty and "geniuses" here are too afraid to open it up.

I am willing order spare parts and replace them myself but I have no idea which parts to order. Can anyone tell me which part of the phone might be defective and need replacing? Has anyone got similar issue? None of the results I found on the net has not been helpful thus far.

Thanks is advance.
Madhorsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:23 AM   #2
AK10R
macrumors regular

I had a somewhat similar issue with my 2G. It would only work when I had the ear jack in the phone. I was told to insert and remove the earphone jack several times. That took cleared up that problem.

I also had a similar problem with my 4G and took it to an Apple store when I was on vacation. The genius used a can of air (used to blow off keyboards) and blew out some pocket lent that had accumulated in the hole. If you do use a “can of air” make sure you clear the straw/can by blowing out air for a few seconds before inserting the straw into the hole. This will get ride of accumulated moisture in the can.

It is a couple of easy attempts to fix her phone problems. There is an outside chance this will help and at worst your girlfriend will see you’re trying something….. Good luck
AK10R is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone