Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
In one week my MBP 13 mid2010 battery life decreased from 93% to 82%. I used to calibrate the battery as indicated by apple. I calibrated last night and the battery life decreased from 83 to 82%. I wanted to ask if this decrease is normal or if I am having a battery problem. Apple stated that the battery should hold 80% at 1000 cycles. Now my MBP is at 82% at 60 cycles. What is getting wrong?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
In one week my MBP 13 mid2010 battery life decreased from 93% to 82%. I used to calibrate the battery as indicated by apple. I calibrated last night and the battery life decreased from 83 to 82%. I wanted to ask if this decrease is normal or if I am having a battery problem. Apple stated that the battery should hold 80% at 1000 cycles. Now my MBP is at 82% at 60 cycles. What is getting wrong?

Calibrating does nothing at all for battery health, it only makes the battery meter read more precisely, you're putting unnecessary cycles on your battery.

Your computer is nearly 2 years old and you only have 60 cycles, batteries die from abuse and lack of use, your battery is simply aging. You may be able to get Apple to replace it, but I wouldn't count on it.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Your computer is nearly 2 years old and you only have 60 cycles,.

Sounds like it's either not used or spends most of it's life hooked to an AC adapter. Both of which are tough on a battery

Que GGJStudios with the battery link in 3...2....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
First, you don't have enough cycles on your battery. It appears you use it plugged in most of the time, or you don't use it much at all. A battery needs to be exercised regularly to stay healthy.

Second, your battery came pre-calibrated and does not require regular calibration.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
that is what batteries do. if it drops below 80 and you're under a thousand cycles and still under warranty, take it in and they will replace it.

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
thank you for all your reply. I should add also that the health of the battery started decreasing after i upgraded to Lion

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
thank you for all your reply. I should add also that the health of the battery started decreasing after i upgraded to Lion
Lion won't affect your battery's health. It may affect the time you can run on a charge, but not the health. You're basically killing your battery by not using it more often.

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
ok thank you I will use it more often then. Will apple replace this one for me? I have 2 years applecare coverage.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ok thank you I will use it more often then. Will apple replace this one for me? I have 2 years applecare coverage.
If it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles, they may replace it for you. Otherwise, no, unless you find an Apple rep to bend the rules.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
Lion won't affect your battery's health. It may affect the time you can run on a charge, but not the health. You're basically killing your battery by not using it more often.

huh? how does not using it more often kill the battery? as long as he uses it every once in a while?

miker2209

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Sounds like it's either not used or spends most of it's life hooked to an AC adapter. Both of which are tough on a battery

Que GGJStudios with the battery link in 3...2....
This is exactly right, i have a cousin using the 2010 MBP and his cycle is 50 but it only holds 92% charge. I tried calibrating it for him but it only increase by 2%. Apple recommend you to unplug your MBP more often so it gets more "exercise".
The damage can't be undone now :(

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
This is exactly right, i have a cousin using the 2010 MBP and his cycle is 50 but it only holds 92% charge. I tried calibrating it for him but it only increase by 2%. Apple recommend you to unplug your MBP more often so it gets more "exercise".
The damage can't be undone now :(

Calibrating the battery only gives you a more accurate reading of your battery's capacity and nothing more.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
huh? how does not using it more often kill the battery? as long as he uses it every once in a while?
Batteries die quicker if you don't exercise them. The OP has only 60 cycles after roughly 18 months, or an average of only 3 cycles a month. It's likely they ran for months at a time without cycling the battery, which is not good.
This is exactly right, i have a cousin using the 2010 MBP and his cycle is 50 but it only holds 92% charge. I tried calibrating it for him
The newer Mac portables with built-in batteries come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
Batteries die quicker if you don't exercise them. The OP has only 60 cycles after roughly 18 months, or an average of only 3 cycles a month. It's likely they ran for months at a time without cycling the battery, which is not good.

I saw that part and realized my error literally a minute after I posted. I couldn't find the button to delete my reply tho ><

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I saw that part and realized my error literally a minute after I posted. I couldn't find the button to delete my reply tho ><
If you want a post deleted, you can report it, using the report post
report.gif
button. If you make a contribution to MacRumors, you gain the ability to delete your own posts, among other benefits.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
If you want a post deleted, you can report it, using the report post Image button. If you make a contribution to MacRumors, you gain the ability to delete your own posts, among other benefits.

one more question (I've been here long enough to know this I know) but can I report a post just simply for the reason that I would like it removed if it is my own, without incurring other consequences?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
one more question (I've been here long enough to know this I know) but can I report a post just simply for the reason that I would like it removed if it is my own, without incurring other consequences?
Of course you can. Having a post deleted doesn't always have to do with a forum rules violation. Sometimes they're just mistaken posts.

miker2209

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Calibrating the battery only gives you a more accurate reading of your battery's capacity and nothing more.
Yes, i'm aware of that when i say it increase the % by 2% as in it's calibrated and is more accurate now.
The newer Mac portables with built-in batteries come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration.
But it is still RECOMMENDED.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
Is that not calibrating :confused:

No. The calibrating procedure is very specific.

PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), MacBook (all models), and MacBook Pro (all models)

The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.
At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.
-[Apple]

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But it is still RECOMMENDED.
Where? You certainly CAN calibrate a newer battery, but nowhere does Apple recommend it. If you suspect your battery readings are way off, it won't harm the battery to calibrate it, but it's not necessary for normal use and uses up battery cycles needlessly.

The calibration procedure is clearly described in the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ I posted. I really encourage you to read that FAQ. It will dispel any misinformation you may have read on battery care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.