Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
I am a school teacher and golf coach. I like to group text my golfers with updates now and then. Do to privacy issues, I do not give out my cell number. I previously used Disco for my group sms needs. This was a flawless app and worked great. Now that Disco is no longer supported or working, I need a replacement. My needs are that the app doesn't use my number (which Disco did not), iMessage remains on, SMS remains on.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
I am a school teacher and golf coach. I like to group text my golfers with updates now and then. Do to privacy issues, I do not give out my cell number. I previously used Disco for my group sms needs. This was a flawless app and worked great. Now that Disco is no longer supported or working, I need a replacement. My needs are that the app doesn't use my number (which Disco did not), iMessage remains on, SMS remains on.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't have a suggestion but what you should know is that no app that use your mobile phone contract can hide the number.
So you have to search for an app that uses an internet gateway to send the message.

Hope this can help reducing the number of apps to evaluate.

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
I don't have a suggestion but what you should know is that no app that use your mobile phone contract can hide the number.
So you have to search for an app that uses an internet gateway to send the message.

Hope this can help reducing the number of apps to evaluate.

I have found TextNow that gives you a number and allows group texting. Thanks for the feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.