Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:36 AM   #1
nellisere
macrumors newbie

Twitter Push Notifications

Hey, I have an iPhone 4 officialy activated so I have valid push certs, and Facebook push notifications work, but twitters don't, and haven't for a while. Anyone know how I can fix this? I get twitter texts but they arn't brilliant because it's harder to reply.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Wish I knew the answer. I have tried everything and cannot get push notifications from Twitter (the official Twitter app). They don't work on my iPad nor iPhone 4S. Yep, turned them on everywhere you are supposed to. Erased and redownloaded app--no luck.

Was really hoping to be able to just use the official Twitter app without getting back into trying a new Twitter app daily; never settling on one in particular.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Have you properly set them up in your profile on Twitter ?

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:50 AM   #4
nellisere
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Wish I knew the answer. I have tried everything and cannot get push notifications from Twitter (the official Twitter app). They don't work on my iPad nor iPhone 4S. Yep, turned them on everywhere you are supposed to. Erased and redownloaded app--no luck.

Was really hoping to be able to just use the official Twitter app without getting back into trying a new Twitter app daily; never settling on one in particular.

Michael
They worked on my iPad, do you think it could be my carrier blocking the certain ports? (GiffGaff)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:53 AM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellisere View Post
They worked on my iPad, do you think it could be my carrier blocking the certain ports? (GiffGaff)
I don't know anything about GiffGaff, but that seems unlikely. FWIW I get Twitter notifications on my 4S in iOS 5.

I don't think the notification settings inside Twitter (that is, in the Twitter app Me -> Settings -> Notifications -> Messages (on), etc are device specific, but you've double checked those, right? For Twitter you have to have the notifications properties in iOS turned on for it and also you have to tell the Twitter app what you want to be notified about. It sounds like you've checked all that, but just checking.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:55 AM   #6
nellisere
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
Have you properly set them up in your profile on Twitter ?
As far as I know I have, have checked in the app itself and they are all turned on.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:57 AM   #7
iBlue
macrumors Core

Quote:
No. I know several people who are on giffgaff and no such notification problems. Might want to have a better look around your settings, re-install or use another app. Personally I really like tweetbot.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:37 AM   #8
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
As far as I know I have, have checked in the app itself and they are all turned on.
I would go to Twitter website on computer and check under your profile and make sure you have set the alerts you want.

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:33 AM   #9
nellisere
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
I would go to Twitter website on computer and check under your profile and make sure you have set the alerts you want.
How do I do that? all I can find is E-Mail alerts and Text Alerts (in the mobile tab)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:27 PM   #10
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
How do I do that? all I can find is E-Mail alerts and Text Alerts (in the mobile tab)
I think you're correct. Twitter on iPhone has to be authorized to your account (in order to do pretty much anything), but I don't think there are settings for this kind of notification on the website.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:07 PM   #11
DocNYz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
I think you're correct. Twitter on iPhone has to be authorized to your account (in order to do pretty much anything), but I don't think there are settings for this kind of notification on the website.
Yeah i couldn't find any either. I would just try reinstalling and making sure everything is up to date ...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:51 PM   #12
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

Are you sure that you are expecting push notifications for the correct things? For the longest time I thought I should get a push whenever something new showed up in my timeline but it only is for mentions and new followers and a few other specific things.
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:17 AM   #13
DocNYz
macrumors 6502a

Wasn't there a way to set it so that you could chose to get notifications when specific users post something?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:47 AM   #14
Munchkinsdad
macrumors regular

Not on the official twitter app. Only DM's and @mentions will be pushed to your device
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:43 AM   #15
nellisere
macrumors newbie

Hey, I got it working! I went into what apps had access on the twitter website and revoked access to everything I didn't use, like ubersocial for blackberry and twitter for android (don't have them phones anymore) and the twitter for iphones and iOS things, deleted the app on my phone, and reinstalled and it works now! Thanks for the help everyone
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:47 AM   #16
DocNYz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkinsdad View Post
Not on the official twitter app. Only DM's and @mentions will be pushed to your device
That blows.

Glad to know we could all help though.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Brandrune
macrumors member

Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone else has these issues at all? Reinstalled a load of times now and revoked access etc. Decided to leave it for now on the advice of a well knowledged guy on Twitter and MacRumors as nothing was working. Any ideas appreciated.
Brandrune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:10 AM   #18
NazgulRR
macrumors regular

Twitter (official app) push notifications work for me without a problem. iOS 5.0.1 on 4th gen iPod Touch. Just got a mention notification yesterday actually. Showed up the same as Mail, iMessages, FB, etc. notifications do.
NazgulRR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:05 PM   #19
Brandrune
macrumors member

So I left it to charge overnight and woke up to find it working...until about 18:00 today where it has just stopped. Could it be battery or the time of day stopping it perhaps? Can only think of again leaving it and seeing what happens tomorrow.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:34 PM   #20
rcmit
macrumors newbie

Only DM and @mentions

Every Twitter App I've tried will push only direct messages and mentions. I have two accounts (personal and hobby) and want to be notified of all tweets (not following many). The only way that I've found to do this is to have Twitter send me a text message and enable mobile notifications for everyone I follow. Unfortunately a phone number can only be associated with one Twitter account I've tried using my Google Voice number for the second phone but can't activate it because GV can't send texts to short codes (40404).

You could try Boxcar and set up a "Twitter Follow" service in the App for everyone you follow whose tweets you want to get notified about.

Ok... I'm long-winded; but I hope something in here helps!
rcmit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:38 PM   #21
kwamayze
macrumors newbie

I have the same problem too. Push notifications for all apps work except twitter.

----------

Weird thing is I tried other twitter apps today and push notifications worked. It just wouldn't work for the official twitter app.
kwamayze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:51 PM   #22
Brandrune
macrumors member

Send an email to the mobile Twitter support team, they cleared the cache server side and fixed the problem.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier