Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Why can't I access iCloud.com from iDevices??

I can get the website www.iCloud.com with a login panel just fine using my PC and laptop. Once logged in, I can access all my iCloud data without any problem.

But when I try to access it from my iPad2 or iPhone4, all I get is the "How to install iCloud" page with NO way to log into my account. BTW, iCloud is already installed and activated with iCloud sycing for almost everything.

What am I missing? I've searched all through the forums and Googled it, but can't come up with an answer.
Arelunde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:47 AM   #2
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a

Why would you need to access iCloud.com if you have your iPad2 all synced up with iCloud?
b-rad g is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Thumbs up

In this instance, I needed to delete all the contacts in iCloud and "merge" with those on my iPad/iPhone so I didn't end up with duplicates or stray data. The two lists weren't totally the same.

I'd been syncing Gmail contacts using iTunes, not iCloud. However, I DID sync with iCloud when it first came out. Ended up with a double-dog mess in my contacts having two syncs going. Un-enabled iCloud sync, cleaned up the contacts in Gmail. Thus the need to delete the iCloud data before syncing there. (I no longer sync contacts with Gmail on iTunes or otherwise.)

It was the first time I'd tried to access the iCloud files and it was only a last-gasp attempt that I used my PC.

I understand iCloud unifies data access among PC & iDevices. But in this case, I needed specific access to data in iCloud. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's set up this way on purpose - access to the actual website files via computer and not iDevices? Seems somewhat odd.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

I knew.
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:49 PM   #5
verwon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
In this instance, I needed to delete all the contacts in iCloud and "merge" with those on my iPad/iPhone so I didn't end up with duplicates or stray data. The two lists weren't totally the same.

I'd been syncing Gmail contacts using iTunes, not iCloud. However, I DID sync with iCloud when it first came out. Ended up with a double-dog mess in my contacts having two syncs going. Un-enabled iCloud sync, cleaned up the contacts in Gmail. Thus the need to delete the iCloud data before syncing there. (I no longer sync contacts with Gmail on iTunes or otherwise.)

It was the first time I'd tried to access the iCloud files and it was only a last-gasp attempt that I used my PC.

I understand iCloud unifies data access among PC & iDevices. But in this case, I needed specific access to data in iCloud. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's set up this way on purpose - access to the actual website files via computer and not iDevices? Seems somewhat odd.
It is, because your idevice already has iCloud access!
verwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

So, you are saying if I wanted to clear out the iCloud contacts via iPad/iPhone, I would have to "merge" what was in iCloud already with what I wanted to be there, then go into the contacts via iPh and clean it up?

That would work, but not as easily as it did by accessing the iCloud contacts file using my PC and deleting the ones that were stored there. Then syncing with iCloud.

Still trying to grasp the fine points of iCloud. Thanks for your input so far.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:08 PM   #7
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another option if you are computer free is to create a new iCloud account. Merge your contacts to it. Put the updated (correct contacts list) on one devices and then turn off iCloud on it (this is now the master). Use the other device and log back into the original iCloud account and delete all your contacts. Now that device and the original iCloud account will be empty.

Now with the master iDevice, log out of the recently made iCloud account and log back into the original account. It should upload the master contact list and then flow back down to the other device.

Finally, delete the new iCloud account (optional)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Thanks CosmoPilot. During the past couple days, I've gotten a better understanding of how things work with iCloud - and how to make use of it effectively. Thank you!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Caseki
macrumors newbie

Why can't I access iCloud.com from iDevice??

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad g View Post
Why would you need to access iCloud.com if you have your iPad2 all synced up with iCloud?
What if I would like to share one of my iCloud calendars? You can't do it by using an iDevice or can you?
Caseki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:25 AM   #10
KeatonSmith
macrumors newbie

A reason to access iCloud.com from an idevice

I also would love to know how to access iCloud from a device.

Quote:
b-rad g Why would you need to access iCloud.com if you have your iPad2 all synced up with iCloud?
I have a slew of junk mail coming into my device. You can only access certain iCloud preferences and settings from the actual web page login, and not from your device.

The original question has still not been answered. How can
You stop the idevice from defaulting to the iCloud "device homepage" that asks to install iCloud?
KeatonSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 03:02 AM   #11
thunderbunny
macrumors 6502a

Use a different browser. Atomic
thunderbunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 09:58 PM   #12
hayduke
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseki View Post
What if I would like to share one of my iCloud calendars? You can't do it by using an iDevice or can you?
This exactly what I wanted to do. Haven't figured it out. Might have to get off the couch to get my laptop. Lame.
hayduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:37 PM   #13
takeshi74
macrumors 601

It's lame that you have to or you're lame and can not get off the couch?
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:10 PM   #14
hayduke
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
It's lame that you have to or you're lame and can not get off the couch?
Feeling great thanks! I'm just annoyed about the asymmetric access to iCloud between different devices. Why can't I share a calendar from my iDevice? I should I ever have to go to iCloud.com?
hayduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:33 PM   #15
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbunny View Post
Use a different browser. Atomic
Just FYI, a different browser does not help either. I tried Atomic, Opera... they both go to the setup screen.

Man, sometimes I really loath Apple for this type of arbitrary controls.

And if they think that such limitations will help them sell more devices, or get more customers... think again: users are wising up and realizing that they must avoid getting involved with any company or service that operates with such closed policies. What was an advantage in the Apple ecosystem, now turns out to be their biggest enemy. Didn't they learn anything from Microsoft? IBM?
diazj3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:35 AM   #16
thunderbunny
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by diazj3 View Post
Just FYI, a different browser does not help either. I tried Atomic, Opera... they both go to the setup screen.
Identify the browser as something other than mobile safari
thunderbunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:12 PM   #17
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbunny View Post
Identify the browser as something other than mobile safari
Thanks!

Still, this restriction by Apple is really messed up... what practical business purpose does it serve to reject customers based on their devices? Do they really think this will make customers buy new hardware by accelerating obsolescence just for greeds sake?

If Apple keeps implementing such narrow philosophy in their products, they will loose the ground they gained in all this years.
diazj3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Tags
icloud, sync, website