Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1
domcole
macrumors regular

Apple TV content pricing

I'm getting rid of my Sky+ subscription which is costing 90 per month because I only watch the odd movie now and again and end up watching some BBC stuff on iPlayer later, rather than when it's broadcasted.

Anyway I have browsed the iTunes store and had a look at the content I'd be interested in (movies and tv series) and wanted to know if the pricing I have seen is reflected on Apple TV, or is it different?

Thanks in advanced
domcole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:10 PM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

prices are the same.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:21 AM   #3
domcole
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
prices are the same.
Thanks.

Can I buy movies and programs to keep like on iTunes on or are they only to rent?

Last edited by domcole; Dec 14, 2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:37 AM   #4
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by domcole View Post
Thanks.

Can I buy movies and programs to keep like on iTunes on or are they only to rent?
AppleTV only allows you to rent movies. There is no access to TV Shows in the iTunes store on the AppleTV in the UK.

If you want to buy them you would need to do that via iTunes on your pc/mac, and then stream them to the AppleTV from your pc/mac via iTunes.
chenks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:54 AM   #5
domcole
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenks View Post
AppleTV only allows you to rent movies. There is no access to TV Shows in the iTunes store on the AppleTV in the UK.

If you want to buy them you would need to do that via iTunes on your pc/mac, and then stream them to the AppleTV from your pc/mac via iTunes.
Sorry I meant tv series!

Oh that would be great. Is it only possible to stream, or can I store them on ATV like an external HD? Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:09 AM   #6
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sorry I meant tv series!

Oh that would be great. Is it only possible to stream, or can I store them on ATV like an external HD? Thanks for your help.
no, appletv has no user accessible storage, and you can't connect any external storage to it.

if you want to stream locally stored content to it, then it must be in your itunes library (in the correct format for appletv) and itunes must be open and running to stream to the appletv.

the only content you can currently rent direct from the appletv in the UK is movies. there is no access to tv shows/series other than what you have locally stored.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:58 AM   #7
domcole
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenks View Post
no, appletv has no user accessible storage, and you can't connect any external storage to it.

if you want to stream locally stored content to it, then it must be in your itunes library (in the correct format for appletv) and itunes must be open and running to stream to the appletv.

the only content you can currently rent direct from the appletv in the UK is movies. there is no access to tv shows/series other than what you have locally stored.
Thanks, that's a big help. I assumed I would have access to tv series but no biggie. I'll still get an ATV then just stream stuff from my Mac.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:00 AM   #8
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks, that's a big help. I assumed I would have access to tv series but no biggie. I'll still get an ATV then just stream stuff from my Mac.
you will have access to tv series, providing you have already bought them from the itunes store and they are stored locally in your itunes library.

of course, you can rip your own content too and add that to your itunes library to stream to the appletv.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater