Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

footprints07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Hi,

I recently got a MBA 13", and have been having some fan noise issue, there are a few thread that said resetting the SMC will help, yes it does help, my question is whether this fan noise issue is normal because it keeps coming back (I didn't install many new program/software as I am still new to Mac OS). Do I need to always have the SMC reset every now and again?

Please help, thank you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

I recently got a MBA 13", and have been having some fan noise issue, there are a few thread that said resetting the SMC will help, yes it does help, my question is whether this fan noise issue is normal because it keeps coming back (I didn't install many new program/software as I am still new to Mac OS). Do I need to always have the SMC reset every now and again?

Please help, thank you.
Resetting the SMC is appropriate if your fans are spinning faster without increased heat. If you have increased heat, the fans are supposed to spin faster and resetting the SMC doesn't change that. Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

footprints07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Resetting the SMC is appropriate if your fans are spinning faster without increased heat. If you have increased heat, the fans are supposed to spin faster and resetting the SMC doesn't change that. Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

I am not sure whether I am the only one having this issue, but I think my problem with the fan noise actually comes from the the magsafe power adapter, because every time i plug and charge my mac, after about 20 to 30 minutes, fan noise starts to surface and the fan is spinning close to 6500rpm from the instate reading.
is there anything i can do to check before i bring to apple to change?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am not sure whether I am the only one having this issue, but I think my problem with the fan noise actually comes from the the magsafe power adapter, because every time i plug and charge my mac, after about 20 to 30 minutes, fan noise starts to surface and the fan is spinning close to 6500rpm from the instate reading.
is there anything i can do to check before i bring to apple to change?
The MagSafe adapter itself can get quite hot when its charging, but it doesn't cause high temps on your Mac. The hottest temps in your Mac are the CPU/GPU and charging the battery doesn't put high demands on either of those. Unless there is a defect in your logic board, your increased temps are caused by something you have running. When it's running hot like that, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

footprints07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
The MagSafe adapter itself can get quite hot when its charging, but it doesn't cause high temps on your Mac. The hottest temps in your Mac are the CPU/GPU and charging the battery doesn't put high demands on either of those. Unless there is a defect in your logic board, your increased temps are caused by something you have running. When it's running hot like that, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

I actually looked at the activity monitor, but nothing was really running, I got my macbook air about a month ago, haven't install many programs onto it, I only run simple program like safari and Mail. I do have a 3 to 4 tabs running on safari but I doubt that is causing the fan heating up. Strangely this doesn't happen when I am running on internal battery, I am new to mac thats is why I suspect magsafe power adapter is causing the issue, but I might be wrong.
I also observed that when the fan is noisy, the CPU is running at higher temp like 64/65 deg C.
Should I pay apple a visit?

Thank you:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I actually looked at the activity monitor, but nothing was really running, I got my macbook air about a month ago, haven't install many programs onto it, I only run simple program like safari and Mail. I do have a 3 to 4 tabs running on safari but I doubt that is causing the fan heating up. Strangely this doesn't happen when I am running on internal battery, I am new to mac thats is why I suspect magsafe power adapter is causing the issue, but I might be wrong.
I also observed that when the fan is noisy, the CPU is running at higher temp like 64/65 deg C.
Should I pay apple a visit?
Depending on what website content you're viewing, Safari could be the culprit. Websites with Flash content place high demands on the CPU/GPU. Use ClickToFlash to control which Flash content plays on websites. I seriously doubt the MagSafe is causing the issue. Yes, take it to Apple.

footprints07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Depending on what website content you're viewing, Safari could be the culprit. Websites with Flash content place high demands on the CPU/GPU. Use ClickToFlash to control which Flash content plays on websites. I seriously doubt the MagSafe is causing the issue. Yes, take it to Apple.

i actually disabled and delated the flash already. Everything I charge my macbook, I can see a tingle of small current on my macbook (the aluminium body). I would say the website i visit are pretty low on demand, like Facebook, hotmail and macrumors, nothing like steaming or youtube. I watched two movies on the plane and there isn't any noise, just at about 2000rpm.
I should pay Apple a visit soon. :)

Thanks for you help, i read a few review by you, very helpful. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.