Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I've tried all the free ones I could find on the app store, but they're all too easy and some of them are really visually bad, too. Has anyone come across a good one? I wouldn't mind paying a little bit, if it's decent quality.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
I'm really happy with Backgammon NJ HD. It was a bit pricey as I recall. The app plays well (at the skill level you set) and the games are fast. The board and controls provide an authentic sense of backgammon. I enjoy playing a few games when I'm waiting in an airport.

An iTunes reviewer accused the app of cheating the dice, which led to a number of "me too" reviews. As a result, the developer now includes a multitude of stats to prove the dice are fair. After playing for quite some time, I have absolutely no concerns about the randomness of the dice (but I'm a math guy), even without delving into the stats.

The other backgammon game I have is ArtDeco Backgammon 3D, which is a fine game, but I prefer the features and interface of Backgammon NJ HD.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I'm really happy with Backgammon NJ HD. It was a bit pricey as I recall. The app plays well (at the skill level you set) and the games are fast. The board and controls provide an authentic sense of backgammon. I enjoy playing a few games when I'm waiting in an airport.

An iTunes reviewer accused the app of cheating the dice, which led to a number of "me too" reviews. As a result, the developer now includes a multitude of stats to prove the dice are fair. After playing for quite some time, I have absolutely no concerns about the randomness of the dice (but I'm a math guy), even without delving into the stats.

The other backgammon game I have is ArtDeco Backgammon 3D, which is a fine game, but I prefer the features and interface of Backgammon NJ HD.

Great, thanks! I'm going to check this out :)

JohnDG

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010

Second that. Also, the app supplies hints for best move and when to double, and then can report on your level of play.

jdg

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Second that. Also, the app supplies hints for best move and when to double, and then can report on your level of play.

jdg

Oh, I like that bit! I've spent too much money on apps recently so I'm not allowed to buy it until Christmas - three days countdown now :D

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So I couldn't wait and down loaded it today :eek::D I've only done about six games but so far I really like it and it's SO MUCH better than anything else I've tried.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Haha, I do like the look of that :D I'm happy with the purchase I've made, though. How many levels of difficulty does your app have?

Zingers

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Hey guys, I have an iPad with Retina display and am also looking for a good backgammon app. So far I've found NJbackgammon and backgammon masters. But I'm not totally satisfied with both of them. Anything else you guys recommend? I tried Dortia, too, but AI seems too easy.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Hey guys, I have an iPad with Retina display and am also looking for a good backgammon app. So far I've found NJbackgammon and backgammon masters. But I'm not totally satisfied with both of them. Anything else you guys recommend? I tried Dortia, too, but AI seems too easy.

I recommend the one that Pete the Geek suggested. I've used it lots since I downloaded it, and it's by far the best alternative I've tried.

Zingers

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I've been using the Backgammon NJ HD suggested above since December last year and I think it's great.

Thanks, I will try it. Although, after the last updates I've been playing Backgammon Masters. They have added some nice features.

Tennis Luvah

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
I enjoy Backgammon nj hd. Having said that, it clearly cheats. I suppose that makes up for its programming problems.

Before any nerds react, I also have a math background.

njsoftware

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
Tennis Luvah,

Backgammon NJ doesn't cheat. We've already provided ample proof that the app is honest:

http://www.njsoftware.com/note.html

We recommend that you actually take the time to go through each of the proofs in depth before making false accusations.

- Developer of BGNJ

bhesseler

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
I've tried all the free ones I could find on the app store, but they're all too easy and some of them are really visually bad, too. Has anyone come across a good one? I wouldn't mind paying a little bit, if it's decent quality.

Try Backgammon Gold - it is free, has decent graphics and a decent AI.

Bill McMahon

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
I'm looking too! I've had backgammon nj for a few years, but it absolutely cheats. The clearest proof is that over the years, the computer will get off the bar on its first roll even if only one space is open...whereas you will be stranded roll after roll. Also, if I have an uncovered chip, the computer will roll whatever it has to in order to jump it.

eric cmo

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Citygammon apps

Hi
The next gen of backgammon soon in all your devices
stay tune
CityGammon.com

njsoftware

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
Why is it that people who come here to falsely accuse Backgammon NJ of cheating each have only 1 post on this forum on the exact day they joined?

The step-by-step proofs that show our app is honest are here for anyone to follow: http://www.njsoftware.com/note.html

Please don't make false accusations without taking the effort to go through the proofs in depth.

sweetestbaboon

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2011
Don't mean to be a bother, but has anyone more recently found a really good free Backgammon?
Please & thank you...

congaplayer

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Backgammon nj is the best I've found. I've been playing this game for about 4 years. The offline game is awesome except the computer player seems to get way too many clutch rolls toward the end of the game. Lots of 1-6, 2-5,3-4 rolls to hit and win. But this game has improved my game a ton!! Over all I give this game 4.5 stars out of 5.

The online gaming experience is amazing!!
I am usually at or around 1900 online and 1650-1850 verses computer in expert mode.

Jojoba and I have played together many times.
He's great! A worthy apponant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.