Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Helmsy67
macrumors member

No Lock sound or Keyboard Clicks

Hey guys I woke up this morning and I dont have any keyboard clicks or lock sounds. When I go to settings my ringtone will ring for a phone call but it won't ring for a text message. Also my iPod won't play through the speaker but I know my speaker is working because it works in the settings and speakerphone works on a phone call. I tried to restore it but it didn't do anything. Anybody have any ideas
Helmsy67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Helmsy67
macrumors member

Also, it rings when I get a phone call and when I set an alarm...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:41 PM   #3
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

I'm assuming you already checked in the sound settings for the keyboard and lock sounds? I would try to reset all settings. That would be the best thing to do.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Helmsy67
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy82 View Post
I'm assuming you already checked in the sound settings for the keyboard and lock sounds? I would try to reset all settings. That would be the best thing to do.
Lol yes that's the first thing I did. I'll try that and if that doesn't work then I'll restore as new since I did it from backup earlier.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:29 PM   #5
THE dAY
macrumors 6502

Did you have earphones plugged in recently before this issue.
Sometimes the phone will think the earphones are still plugged in.

Try plugging/unplugging earphones a few times and see if that brings back the sounds through the speaker.
THE dAY is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Helmsy67
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE dAY View Post
Did you have earphones plugged in recently before this issue.
Sometimes the phone will think the earphones are still plugged in.

Try plugging/unplugging earphones a few times and see if that brings back the sounds through the speaker.
I just restored and set up as new. Pain in the butt but it's working now. Thanks guys.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:49 PM   #7
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsy67 View Post
I just restored and set up as new. Pain in the butt but it's working now. Thanks guys.
Resetting the settings didn't work? I've always thought of that as a restore without losing data.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Helmsy67
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy82 View Post
Resetting the settings didn't work? I've always thought of that as a restore without losing data.
Nope I tried it twice and had to restore and set up as new...I have no idea why
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:34 AM   #9
james92se
macrumors 6502a

Are you sure the volume wasnt just turned down? This keeps somehow happening to me where I notice I have no keyboard clicks or lock sounds. I'll then try the volume buttons and it's always about halfway but just shows "ringer" when I'm trying to adjust it but still no keyboard or lock sounds.

I finally realized that the volumes are "independent" so to speak and to adjust the volume for the keyboard clicks and lock sounds you have to be in an "app" that uses click sounds like the text message native app. Open your text messages then adjust the sound and you'll notice it no longer displays "ringer" above the volume icon - you're now adjusting your volume for the keyboard clicks and lock sounds. I keep finding that mine is all the way down hence my lack of keyboard clicks or lock sound. I don't remember this ever happening on my other iPhones but it happens to me a lot nowadays.

I'm sure there's a way to do this in settings as well but I haven't looked.
james92se is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:56 AM   #10
hakr100
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92se View Post

I finally realized that the volumes are "independent" so to speak and to adjust the volume for the keyboard clicks and lock sounds you have to be in an "app" that uses click sounds like the text message native app. Open your text messages then adjust the sound and you'll notice it no longer displays "ringer" above the volume icon - you're now adjusting your volume for the keyboard clicks and lock sounds.
On my 4S if I am in iMessage and type with keyboard clicks open in SETTINGS, the volume buttons on the side of the phone display "ringer" when I use them.
hakr100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:26 AM   #11
jayjayjay12
macrumors newbie

lock sound and keyboard clicks reinstated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsy67 View Post
Hey guys I woke up this morning and I dont have any keyboard clicks or lock sounds. When I go to settings my ringtone will ring for a phone call but it won't ring for a text message. Also my iPod won't play through the speaker but I know my speaker is working because it works in the settings and speakerphone works on a phone call. I tried to restore it but it didn't do anything. Anybody have any ideas
If you lose sounds for keyboard clicks, games or other apps, email notifications and other notifications, system sounds may have been muted.

System sounds can be muted and controlled two different ways. The screen lock rotation can be controlled in the same manner as well.

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute System sounds. If this option is selected, the switch on the side of the iPad above the volume rocker will mute system sounds.

If you choose Lock Screen Rotation, then the switch locks the screen. If the screen is locked, you will see a lock icon in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator gauge.

If you have the side switch set to lock screen rotation then the system sound control is in the task bar. Double tap the home button and in the task bar at the bottom, swipe all the way to the right. The speaker icon is all the way to the left. Tap on it and system sounds will return.

If you have the side switch set to mute system sounds, then the screen lock rotation can be accessed via the task bar in the same manner as described above.
jayjayjay12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjay12 View Post
If you lose sounds for keyboard clicks, games or other apps, email notifications and other notifications, system sounds may have been muted.

System sounds can be muted and controlled two different ways. The screen lock rotation can be controlled in the same manner as well.

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute System sounds. If this option is selected, the switch on the side of the iPad above the volume rocker will mute system sounds.

If you choose Lock Screen Rotation, then the switch locks the screen. If the screen is locked, you will see a lock icon in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator gauge.

If you have the side switch set to lock screen rotation then the system sound control is in the task bar. Double tap the home button and in the task bar at the bottom, swipe all the way to the right. The speaker icon is all the way to the left. Tap on it and system sounds will return.

If you have the side switch set to mute system sounds, then the screen lock rotation can be accessed via the task bar in the same manner as described above.
Do people even read through to see if the "new" solutions they're presenting in a 2 year old thread are actually new or offer information that hasn't been presented? Just wondering.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone